Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 22, 2006

Old     (brian_l)      Join Date: May 2006       05-03-2006, 8:33 PM Reply   
Hey guys whats up, im fairly new to wakeboarding. Ive been to Texas Ski Ranch and road there all day and im hooked. My dad wants to get a boat so i plan on wakeboarding alot during the summer. A kid i know said he sell me a 04 Byerly 137 board for about 150$. Does this sound like a good deal? Ive heard good and bad things about this board. Also im about 5'8 and 125 pounds. Thanks for any help.
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-03-2006, 9:50 PM Reply   
if it is used, no. If it is brand new, its an ok deal. 05 Byerlys are going for pretty cheap right now, if you can pick one up. However, if you are new to boarding...you probably don't want a 3 stage. If you are going HL, look for a Murray or Temet.
Old    snsbritt            05-03-2006, 9:57 PM Reply   
or a premier ridden w/ fins w/out as you progress
Old     (pittsy)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-03-2006, 10:12 PM Reply   
dude a byerly is not a forgiving board and will make your learning experience harder than it really is...i would get a motive because its very forgiving and help me progress much faster
Old    snsbritt            05-03-2006, 10:26 PM Reply   
so does the premier
Old     (brian_l)      Join Date: May 2006       05-04-2006, 7:00 AM Reply   
alright sounds good. as for the size of the board is 137 a good length for my hieght and weight?
Old     (ebone66)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-04-2006, 7:18 AM Reply   
use this
http://www.wakeworld.com/wizard/boards.asp

Also, look under the descriptions under the boards section on this web site. For instance that byerly is rated for 140 pounds and up.
Old     (brian_l)      Join Date: May 2006       05-04-2006, 9:46 AM Reply   
i used the wizard and there seems to be a huge range of lengths. is there an advantage to length? a coach at tsr told me to not go lower than a 135? just want to make sure i get the right board the first time. thanks.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       05-04-2006, 10:05 AM Reply   
Go back to TSR or go to another shop and demo a bunch of boards and see what you like. I would demo CWB,Liquid force and Hyperlite before making up your mind. The best advise anyone can give you is to Demo Demo Demo, and TSR has all the boards you need to demo.
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-04-2006, 10:06 AM Reply   
well, 137 might be a tad big for a 125 pound person. I would reccomend getting a tad smaller board. If you get too large of a board, it makes it very difficult to maneuver, and rides too high in the water. Look for something in the 133-135 range. I would highly reccomend NOT getting that Byerly, it is a very difficult board, as I stated earlier.
Old     (brian_l)      Join Date: May 2006       05-04-2006, 4:12 PM Reply   
ok that sounds good. only thing is i live 3 hours away from TSR and i would like to have a board by the time i go there next. But if i dont have one in time how do i demo a board? just pick one and ask to ride it? im new to all this please bare with me lol
Old     (ak4life)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-04-2006, 9:47 PM Reply   
as far as demo: dunno about TSR, but most places that demo will do so for a small fee (20-30 bucks) per demo and will credit the fee back when you purchase. just tell them you wanna demo a board and ask how much and whether they'll apply the fee to the purchase. just be nice and hopefully they'll hook you up!

as far as size: the reason there's so much variance in the "recommended" size is that it depends on preference. some riders like larger boards cause they'll generally provide more pop and ride highger in the water and be faster than the same board in a smaller size, but the smaller size will generally be lighter and also track better (cause it sits deeper in the water). but the best thing is to demo if, possible. also, when talking about the size of the board the important factor is not just length, but total surface area, which is roughly length times width.