Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 18, 2006

Old    minime4vt            05-25-2006, 4:46 PM Reply   
Well due to the high gas prices, my primary boat will not see the water much this summer. Because of that, I will be boarding behind a 17 foot 800 pound (at the most) Checkmate with a 150 hp Merc on the back. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to work on that won't make my summer suck as much when it comes to riding? I don't have access to sliders either...
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-25-2006, 4:47 PM Reply   
wakeskating
Old    walt            05-25-2006, 4:51 PM Reply   
Start with Your attitude. At least you'll be getting some time in on the water right ?
Old     (aden_g)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-25-2006, 4:58 PM Reply   
Switch riding, and riding wrapped/blind are 2 things that most riders (especially inclduing me) forget about. That stuff is perfect to learn behind a small boat/seadoo.
Old     (gobigorgohome)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-25-2006, 5:06 PM Reply   
"Start with Your attitude" Too right!

It's not exactly the biggest problem facing man is it?

Old    minime4vt            05-25-2006, 5:13 PM Reply   
haha yeah you guys are right. the attitude is definitely the first thing in getting ANYTHING done. i know i will be battling with that one, especially knowing i've got a better horse in the barn, but i'll still get some time on the water so i'll consider myself fortunate with that one
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       05-25-2006, 5:56 PM Reply   
thats the exact boat I learned how to wakeboard behind, if I got back behind it today Im sure I could eek out 180s, 360s and whatnot, if you have a good driver you can get a decent speed bump and ride, its all fun
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       05-25-2006, 6:03 PM Reply   
Learn your fundamentals as best you can, if you do that you're capable of even a few inverts behind that boat.
Old     (midwesty)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-25-2006, 6:16 PM Reply   
if gas prices are limiting your boat usuage you probably are maybe cutting it too close on your finances, there is no way if i owned a boat i could let it sit and not use it
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-25-2006, 6:23 PM Reply   
sell your boat and pimp the checkmate homie.
Old     (snyper1d)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-25-2006, 7:00 PM Reply   
invite more guys to go with to throw down on gas....
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-25-2006, 7:13 PM Reply   
Get a job where you get off at 4pm. It doesnt get dark till 9-10pm in some regions. That gives your 4-5 hours to set up the boat and get at least 2 pulls if you go with only 2 others. And if you work at least 6 hrs a day you will easily make gas. I am assuming you are younger. If you are older and have to pay rent/food/car and then boat gas...? I dont know, win the lottery.
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-25-2006, 7:39 PM Reply   
Become a hardcore wakeskater and ride behind a Sea Doo. Summer will only suck if thats what your expecting of it...
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-25-2006, 7:49 PM Reply   
"Well due to the high gas prices, my primary boat will not see the water much this summer."

Must be awesome bro. Try not boarding at all, being on crutches for 6 to 8 months, and questioning whether or not I'll ever be able walk, let alone board. Having a pound of metal in your foot, and fighting an addiction to pain killers

I'm not bitching or looking for hugs, just trying tell you life is what you make of it. Stop bitching and board, whether behind a pimped Xstar or see doo
Old     (aden_g)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-25-2006, 7:59 PM Reply   
I don't understand the replies on his attitude... the dude is completely bummed out because gas is so expensive. I can't think of any reasons not to be, and I would be too if I had a boat.

However at the same time, if you can afford a nice wakeboard boat but can't afford the gas, something is wrong. But then again my toyota Supra because I didn't want to put gas in it.
Old    walt            05-25-2006, 8:03 PM Reply   
The point is look on the bright side instead of being negative and be thankful for what you have.
Old    osoyoosmaristar            05-25-2006, 11:32 PM Reply   
Jeff, sorry to hear about it man. That's every boarder's nightmare.

I agree with most people. Matt, look on the bright side. I would rather be out on the water in a row boat than not being able to be out at all. Find a wakeskate and go with it.
Old    crash_vin            05-26-2006, 7:02 AM Reply   
if i had to i would ride behind a 14 foot blow up raft with a trolling motor, if i had too,
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-26-2006, 7:42 AM Reply   
How much better is a 150HP Merc going to be on gas mileage? You say "on the back" so I'm assuming outboard (especially on such a small boat). I guess it could be a 4-cycle but if you're talking about a 150HP 2-cycle, I doubt you'll be saving gas much if at all. Outboards have a lot of advantages but fuel efficiency isn't one of them.}
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-26-2006, 8:25 AM Reply   
Get a job Mr. Ihavetwoboats, and put some gas in that thing.

PS-> get used to it, I doubt gas prices are ever coming back down again.
Old     (kylielogan)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-26-2006, 8:32 AM Reply   
I don't know anything about boats and am not good enough yet to appreciate a good wake. But I do know that last summer when I broke my foot, I got home from the hospital about 4:30 a.m. on a Saturday and at 10:00 a.m. that same day my crew had me sitting in the sun on their boat (kudos to them!) and just being on the water was heaven enough for me! I say enjoy it . . . you're still gonna have a rockin' summer!!
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-26-2006, 8:34 AM Reply   
I agree with Flux! Get a J O B! That helps pay for that gas! haha