Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 08, 2008

Old     (ruste)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-11-2008, 6:41 PM Reply   
hello everyone, im very seriously looking at Kam's used 95 supersport in the classifieds section. has anyone seen this boat or know anything about it? also, what should i look at for condition and such on a used boat like this? thanks alot in advance for the help as this is my first wake boat purchase. thanks again.

Jeff
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-11-2008, 6:48 PM Reply   
we bought a 95 ss and love it

ours had:
400 hrs
new engine w/ 60 hrs....long story but it checked out
2x trailer
perfect shape in and out
*no tower, ballast*
paid 18k -- another 3 k in tower ballast and audio

seriously a killer boat, you wont be let down
Old     (ruste)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-11-2008, 6:56 PM Reply   
thanks for the info Nick, also this boat has an 03 tower and fat sacks. so other than that stuff and the graphics, what else changed when this boat was started to be called a super air? is this engine different? having 730 hours, is it still going to be very reliable? im expecting it to be, but when does someone get weary of the high hours? thanks alot!

Jeff
Old     (trdon)      Join Date: Sep 2007       05-11-2008, 8:05 PM Reply   
I get weary at about 1000. That is like 100K miles on a car or truck. Still a lot of life left depending on how it was kept, but you dont know is the hit or miss part. I was also looking at that boat and it seems as if it is a good bargain. I am not in a position to get that specific boat at this point in time though. I dont want to handle 2 payments for any amount of time again (I did it up until last week for 8 months). It seems legit but the engine bay was dirty so that made me wonder a little bit. The 1300lbs of ballast is hard on a engine/tranny (not to mention that is weight without people in the boat and you dont know how long that setup has been running that way)and Vdrive trannys are really expensive. I did notice in better pictures that there were some minor cracks in the vinal that will only get worse but esentially if it is all good it seems to be a great boat at a good price. You will have to fix things because that is how it is.
Old    K.B.C.            05-11-2008, 8:34 PM Reply   
nothing changed when it became the SAN. They put a tower, ballast and PP in it. The engine was the GT-40 until around 2004 then CC switched to the GM powerplant.
Old     (mike_gilbert)      Join Date: Sep 2004       05-11-2008, 10:48 PM Reply   
GT 40 was around till 00 or 01, the excalibur 330 and python where used after the gt 40, nautique hasnt switched to GM they still use PCM
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-12-2008, 12:10 AM Reply   
ours had the gt-40, works awesome... but I would suggest getting a new prop unless they have already done so... Acme 856 is killer

hours you should be fine for quite a long while...worst comes to worst a rebuild.....my dad's old boat, my first "wakeboard" boat is still around and running strong at 1500 hrs (rebuild was done) so I wouldn't worry

the 95 ss hull is 100% the same only things are the sundeck is 1 piece, not 3, cupholders are different, bow seating changed up a bit... maybe some other random cosmetic things too, but the BOTTOM HULL SHAPE is 100% the same as a SAN
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-12-2008, 5:54 AM Reply   
"I get weary at about 1000. That is like 100K miles on a car or truck."

No... no it isn't. One hour on a boat is equal to 40 miles on a truck. 1000 hours = 40,000 miles. Far from worn out if maintained.
Old     (trdon)      Join Date: Sep 2007       05-12-2008, 6:13 AM Reply   
I read that conversion in multiple places in researching online. Nautique recomends rebuild at 2500 hours and your conversion would make 100000 miles at 2500, but I wouldt buy a 2XXX hour boat just like I wouldnt buy a 2XX,XXX mile car or truck. I wouldt think twice about a 100,000 mile car though. The more hours the more it will need maintenence. I get weary at or above 1000 hours because there are too many nice boats for decent prices that have way less than 1000 hours.
Old    K.B.C.            05-12-2008, 8:52 AM Reply   
My buddy's 01 has the the GT-40. My other friend has an 02 and I'm not positive but pretty sure it also has the GT-40.
Old     (ruste)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-12-2008, 7:46 PM Reply   
thanks for all the information and opinions everyone. does this seem like a great deal? worth traveling for? not to mention i may meet him somewhere, so what should i look for if i cant put the boat in water and actually test it out? ive wakeboarded behind SAN's before and love it, so i know its what i want, i just want to make sure i get a good one! thanks again.

Jeff
Old     (greg2)      Join Date: May 2002       05-12-2008, 7:58 PM Reply   
I agree with Cliff on the hours...I can't see 1000 hours on a boat being equal to 100K on car/truck. My truck currently has about 500 hours on it and 14K miles. The RPMs on my boat are probably twice what my truck is...I'd say 500 boat hrs are equal to around 25K car/truck miles.
Old     (crowmobe540)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-12-2008, 8:21 PM Reply   
Don't buy a boat without a test drive. Not smart. Meet him at a lake. As for the hours. I've been known to put some hours on a boat. From my experience, if it is maintained well, it may actually run better than a boat that didn't get run much. Plus, its a nauti...you're money man.
Old     (trdon)      Join Date: Sep 2007       05-12-2008, 8:22 PM Reply   
But does you truck constantly pull a load? A boat is always under load. That is how it is justified. There are no "easy" hours on a boat.
Old     (ruste)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-12-2008, 9:04 PM Reply   
ya im really thinking a lake meeting is in order. do you guys think this is a deal worth traveling for? it seems like it as i look around, but as i said im new to the boat buying world and i want something nice, not a lake rat.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-12-2008, 9:10 PM Reply   
how far is he?
could always borrow a friends car/cycle check it out, if its nice come back with the truck...

make sure the fresh water filter is TIGHT AND NOT CRACKED. sometimes when winterized those are forgotten and a loose one or cracked one will cause an airleak for the intake and the boat will overheat... I assume the boat will have one so just one little thing to remember that I haven't seen on any boat other than 90's nautiques.

**The filter isnt needed by any means
Old     (ruste)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-12-2008, 9:14 PM Reply   
well im in south texas and he is just south of salt lake city, so its like 1200 miles, but hes willing to meet me 1/2 way. so i gotta find a lake around albuquerque. any suggestions? thanks again!

jeff
Old     (ruste)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-12-2008, 9:17 PM Reply   
where is the fresh water filter? u mean for the engine cooling system?

thanks.
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       05-13-2008, 1:24 PM Reply   
Saw one in phoenix on craigslist for less money not that long ago. If you're gonna make him drive half way then odds are you're already determined to buy it. If you don't that would be a crappy thing to do. I've bought three boats sight unseen because they were a good deal, plus if you're mechanical at all, then you realize that it's just a ford engine and repairs aren't that expensive.

I would just make an effort to ask as many questions as possible before buying, if you trust the person you're buying it from you can feel pretty safe. Plus there area a few people that have offered to check it out for you, if you need a second opinion. Just have them throw a fake a lake on it and if it starts, runs and the interior isn't bad then you're probably safe, not much more you can do in person.
Old     (crowmobe540)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-13-2008, 2:37 PM Reply   
You can also have it checked out by a dealership. They will fill out a full report for you. There was one in lewisville with no tower 2 weeks ago for 15k. You might be able to find one close.
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-13-2008, 3:16 PM Reply   
ask about any past damage and also about propshaft, strut, tracking fins and overall gel-coat appearance.. any vibrations in propshaft, did he beach the boat, did it ever see the salt of the great salt lake? lots of questions going sight unseen. spend the extra time in knowing that you are indeed getting what you pay for. it looks like a good deal and will be a great boat but there are plenty of other options far closer to you as well.. good luck!
Old     (zoah)      Join Date: Nov 2006       05-13-2008, 4:13 PM Reply   
Buy the boat. I have the same boat and love it.

That boat already has a four blade prop, ballast, a nautique or nautique looking tower, and it looks to be in great condition. There doesn't appear to be any rust on the motor or manifolds.

Anything for these boats can be repaired or replaced. They are very very simple to work on.
Old     (ruste)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-13-2008, 7:48 PM Reply   
if i missed it and someone is around that area and willing to look at it for me, that would be a huge peice of mind for me. anyone out there? thanks alot.

-Jeff
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       05-14-2008, 6:48 AM Reply   
Jeff ~~ I have contacted Kam about checking out the boat and is more than willing to have somebody come look at it. I'm pretty close to him and would check it out for you. From talking back and forth with him it seems like his family really takes care of their boats and does not slam them down with a ton of weight or people. I will send him an email and see what his plans are for the weekend.
Old     (ruste)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-14-2008, 4:19 PM Reply   
Josh, I really appreciate it. thanks alot for the effort. let me know what you hear or see. thanks again.

JEff
Old     (sanddragon2004)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-14-2008, 5:29 PM Reply   
Jeff, i have owned many high hr ski boats, one pcm powered boat with 1900 hrs on original motor/trans.

never had a problem with either. at least 700of those hrs where with loaded down sacked out and wakeboarding.