Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (SkySki)      Join Date: Feb 2010       04-18-2013, 1:42 PM Reply   
I have been thinking about buying a class C RV for a while. I have two problems.

One, I would have to pay for storage. I did that with my last boat and hated it.

Second, I am worried I would get stuck on a slippery launch ramp. Anyone have any experience with an RV towing your boat? I am thinking class C 26-32 feet long with the V10 and a slide (two if I can find it).

Also posted this on mbboatowners.com
Old     (Live_In_405)      Join Date: Apr 2013       04-18-2013, 1:47 PM Reply   
we have a class C Tioga, 26' i believe. We don't usually drop the boat with it cause we bring a truck, but the times we have, we have never experienced problems. Granted they ramps were nothing extreme
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-18-2013, 8:49 PM Reply   
There are very few class c motorhomes that are rated to tow a boat. Most have a 3500 LB hitch on them and it exceeds the gcvwr of the chassis with a boat hooked up. Make sure you do your homework before buying. Don't listen to the sales guys. Most class A gassers will get it done. I would not worry about the ramps if you are a skilled driver and backer. It will pull it out fine and most ramps have room to get it done.
Old     (SkySki)      Join Date: Feb 2010       04-18-2013, 8:58 PM Reply   
Good info on that. I will keep that in mind. Hadn't thought of that.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-19-2013, 6:36 AM Reply   
You can get a lot of Class A's in a similar price range. Benefits of the Class A are you will have the towing capacity and GCVWR to do it. You will have more living space in the living room of the coach. Most all have backup cameras to make it easier to back down at the ramp and keep an eye on your baby. The one thing that is better about the Class C in my opinion is you can sleep more people cause of the over head sleeping. You can get Class A's in the 28'-32' range pretty easily.
What is your budget? The other option is look at a Super C. Not a lot of them out there, but they will do the towing and many have a Duramax in them. Not sure where you are, but I have a buddy selling one in the Portland area and he is going to sell it at wholesale and it is nice....
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-19-2013, 6:42 AM Reply   
Here is my buddy's Super C listing on craigslist.....
http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/rvs/3710872687.html
Old     (SkySki)      Join Date: Feb 2010       04-19-2013, 6:58 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler97217 View Post
Here is my buddy's Super C listing on craigslist.....
http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/rvs/3710872687.html
Diggs - your buddy's super c is sick, but out of my price range. I am looking at 10-30k max. Mostly looking for around 30k miles and newer than 2000 year. I want the class c so the kids can sleep up top. Ultimately I would like something with bunks for them, but that is nearly impossible.

I am not worried too much about towing the boat, except when it comes to the launch ramp. I was mainly looking for experienced rv guys that can give me a heads up on what to look forward to without having four wheel drive.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-19-2013, 7:30 AM Reply   
RV's weigh so much you will not spin the wheels on a ramp. I have launched at several ramps with a few different RV's and never even a slight issue. I might be a little nervous on a steep steep ramp, but would not be nervous about the RV pulling it up. More nervous about setting the parking brake when I launch the boat.
What you are nervous about is about the furthest thing back on the list. Start researching towing capacities. Even if the hitch says 5000lbs know your GVWR and your GCVWR and now what is safe to tow. Let me know if you have any questions. I looked for years at Class C motorhomes years back and it is not easy to find one that will safely and legally tow a boat. I still see people do it though. Things may have changed over the last few years, but I doubt it.
Old     (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-19-2013, 8:27 AM Reply   
What engine is the most reliable and fuel efficient? What brand to get? Met a couple at a koa and he said the older models built in Canada were the best made for those on a budget.