Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old     (SkySki)      Join Date: Feb 2010       06-04-2013, 3:08 PM Reply   
Here is my dilemma - I want/need to buy an RV (Class C) or a travel trailer (bumper pull). Sometimes I think it is a no brainer, other times I talk myself out of both. I am going to be in Portland for 4+ months starting in August and am thinking about staying in one or the other (just myself). Let me get into the pro's and con's of each:

RV Pro's
I could pull the boat - huge pro if I use it enough. Our family could ride all together and move around a little - less cooped up.

RV Con's
Costs - gas, maintenance. Less out there - want a Class C because it has the upper bunk for the kids (I know I could just stick them in the couch and dining table, but it would be nice if we didn't have to continually make up those in the mornings)

Trailer Pro's
I would have my truck to move around in when we got to a campsite. Cheaper than an RV - relative (much more bang for my buck with a trailer purchase - newer, bigger). Less maintenance than an RV

Trailer Con's
Can't pull the boat (thought about going doubles with a fifth wheel but would need a CDL with doubles endorsement in California - not worth the trouble). Can't ride in it - more cooped up in the truck travels.

With either, I am not sure we would use them enough. My fear is that we would buy either and then it would sit in a storage place and rot. I thought if I get the Class C that I could pull the boat on the weekends up to the lake, but I can already accomplish that with my truck. I have three lakes less than an hour away, would I actually stay at the lakes overnight or during the whole weekend when I am so close to home? I would like to travel to California lakes, but how much would I do this and is it worth the cost? We already rent an RV/Trailer about once to twice a year to travel around - this is much cheaper than buying and storing and maintaining, not to mention insurance costs.

I guess my questions to the forum is what would you suggest - whether you own or not? Like I said, some days I think it is an easy answer, other days I think about either item sitting in a storage lot.