Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (gharvin)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-21-2006, 5:22 PM Reply   
I can not find the sweet spot to save my life on my supra 21v. I upgraded the rear bags to 600 per side and the center is 600. I am currently filling the center full and the drivers side full and then surfing. We have to run about 12.5 mph to really get the wake right. Should i not have any weight in the center and just fill the drivers rear??? I also have the wakeplate all the way up while doing this. Please help i am tired of wakeboarding.

Thanks,
Gary ;)
Old     (gharvin)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-21-2006, 5:26 PM Reply   
also would it be possible to put my stock 277 lb bag in the rear locker on top of the 600? What type of pump would I need to do this with out getting water all over the boat?
Old    surfdad            06-22-2006, 5:52 AM Reply   
12.5 mph seems fast. Recreationally speaking most folks are in the 10 to 10.5 mph range. I know that the Supra's I've been behind have a steep wake and therefore tend to be less forgiving...but you should be able to surf the configuration you've described at a slower speed, if not a really great setup. HOWEVER, the one piece of info that we are missing is your board and your weight. If you're 700 pounds on a 4'4" coex, I can tell you your problem, now. :-)
Old     (gharvin)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-22-2006, 6:28 AM Reply   
Jeff,
I am 250 and ride a LF 5' venture? i think is the name. I am also wondering if my PP is out of wack. What would you recomend as settings for that much weight while you are surfing to prevent surging?
Old    surfdad            06-22-2006, 7:54 AM Reply   
Hey Gary,

I'm pretty certain part of your problem is your size on that board. You're probably needing at least a 5'6" for getting started. You can ride that board, but it's going to make the initial learning phase much harder than it needs to be.

I'm guessing that your PP is giving you an odd reading, so I wouldn't worry too much about the "reading" so much as getting a clean face at the slowest speed possible, for now. It sounds like you have that.

Here is what I would recommend. Find someone that is in the 140-170 pound range and can wakeboard/wakeskate. See if they can get into the sweet spot on that board - not to toss the rope, but to just create slack in the rope for several minutes. If a lighter person can do it on that board, then the wake is suitable and you just need to acquire a larger board. Keep us posted on what you find out.
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-23-2006, 10:42 AM Reply   
also here is a tip. the biggest mistake i see in people learn to surf is that they try to ride it like a wakeboard and lean way back. you can't do this, you need a lot of weight on the front. there are times when you will wanna put 90% of your weight on your front foot
Old     (siuski)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-23-2006, 1:29 PM Reply   
I just run stock ballast with the rear starboard and front sacks filled @10.5-11, with a couple of people in it I can ride for quite a while before I start goofing off and don't pay attention...but I've noticed that the starboard side is much steeper than the port, which I find odd, but that's ok for me because I learned behind a 210. I'm also 140 with a broadcast 4'9". I'm starting to learn how to get back into the sweet spot, I've drifted back as much as 5-10' or more from the sweet spot and made it back in. So for an experienced rider it's probably pretty good, but could always be bigger! I sprained my ankle pretty good a few weeks ago, so I've been surfing a lot more...I love it but haven't convinced to many more people that it is fun.

(Message edited by siuski on June 23, 2006)
Old     (clubjoe)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-24-2006, 8:19 AM Reply   
Make sure your toes are near the edge of the board (unless it has ROUND edges like a conventional surfboard), and you bend your legs a -LOT-....And don't be in a hurry to learn or manuver. It's about board momentum control, by changing the boards center of gravity. Most of your edging at first is only on your toeside against the wake.

If you lean while standing taller, you tend to tilt the board, but the more you crouch, the lower your center of gravity, and the weight shifts on the board with less tilt....tougher on the legs at first, but it'll help in the long run....If your stance is right, your back leg should not be burning all the time...

(Message edited by clubjoe on June 24, 2006)
Old    surfdad            06-24-2006, 8:29 AM Reply   
All good points, but again, the maximum weight rating on the LF Venture 5'0" is 220. You're 30 pounds over, all of the "hints" aren't going to help "much" AND...even if you are able to ride it, the ride will suck. I'd really recommend you find a more suitable board, then worry about dialing in with the various hints.
Old     (timber)      Join Date: May 2004       06-24-2006, 1:51 PM Reply   
A good board to try is the Landlock by hyperlite. Last years model was 6 foot 1. I think this years is a 5 foot 11. Anybody can ride that thing. It is like Mac Truck. The board you have is like a sports car.