Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 19, 2005

Old    260searay            06-02-2005, 3:32 PM Reply   
Why do we have to have wind? I hate it. As soon as the wind blows lake erie has white caps. Today was nice but my buddy is sleeping and i need someone to drive my boat this sucks.
Old     (shredhead)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-03-2005, 7:49 AM Reply   
Take up Windsurfing or Kiteboarding, then you have it covered no matter what. I think it works great, but you do end up with an awful lot of gear.
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       06-03-2005, 1:32 PM Reply   
Be careful with trying kiteboarding. if you do you will end up selling your boats and chasing the wind aorund the world. youve been warned
Old    260searay            06-03-2005, 3:04 PM Reply   
Its cool.... It is windy here every day
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-06-2005, 7:05 AM Reply   
Jason tell me thats not you in your profile pic? I do see ALOT of kiteboarders round these parts but dont think we could fit the whole family on one board/kite set-up , a buddy has a trainer kite and i really wanting to take a lesson but like you said im afraid id have to sell the boat just cause id stop using it??

Oh yea, Chris i hate the wind here too. Seems like fall,winter, spring is great but as soon as summer hits the sun heats the air and BAM whitecaps
Old    260searay            06-06-2005, 5:21 PM Reply   
I just rode in white caps the other day and it is really tough especially since it was like my 7th time ever riding haha.
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       06-07-2005, 12:53 PM Reply   
no, that one isnt me, but I can change it to one that is. i dont get many pics taken and the wife isnt one for catching cool tricks so that one is all I got.

Get a trainer and learn to fly it, then get out in a big parking lot and learn to ride a skateboard with it. once you get good with moving the kite, take a lesson on the water. grab some used cheap kites and ejoy learning the finer points, then sell em for what you paid and buy some nice ones. Then sit at the commputer with your credit card and go to boat trader website and sign your boat up. Then buy you and the Mrs tickets to a beautiful destination and go kite in the crystal blue water with the dolphins. Cruise over to the break and kill some waves, then go spend some time on flat water in the bay doing huge wakestyle tricks, then maybe a cruise down the shoreline site seeing. Then enjoy a beverage while watching an epic sunset on the beach. Come home, and instead of dumping $70 in the boat gas tank every time you want to go out, you just rig up and catch a set free of charge. After work, instead of rounding up a crew and spending every daylight hour sitting on a boat waiting for your 2 15 min sets, go rig your kite, ride for an hour straight, come off the water spent, and be home before dinner is served. Boat payment + insurance + maintenance + gas = alot of dough!!! That dough can fund alot of fun adventures for you and the family. get the kids into kiting early, and they will be the pros of the future a put you on the gravy train!!

See, you cant afford NOT to get into it!!!!
Old     (greenpinky)      Join Date: Apr 2004       06-08-2005, 2:56 AM Reply   
Woah Jason.

I mean, I think the kites are cool too, but there has to be something said for having 3 or 4 riders, all together for the day, encouraging eachother and pushing each other. Actually, sometimes waiting your turn is the best part, because you might have someone else behind the boat just tearing it up, and it pushes everyone else to try something new.

Nevermind the fact that a boat offers the versatility to surf, or wakeskate. Also, there's always room for 2 or 3 blondes in the boat. Ever hit a slider in a kite??

I'll take a boat and a wakeboard any day.
Old     (greenpinky)      Join Date: Apr 2004       06-08-2005, 2:58 AM Reply   
Chris, sorry 'bout the hijack.
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       06-08-2005, 4:36 AM Reply   
I'll take a boat and a wakeboard any day too, but when the water is 42dgr. and the air is 52 and you can't find anyone to watch let alone board, kiteboarding might be a good alternative. i live right on lake erie.
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       06-08-2005, 6:37 AM Reply   
Mike, Mike, Mike... you gotta start thinking outside the box. Dont worry, 3 years ago, I would have agreed with you. On a boat, your with only 3 or 4 riders. Kiteboarding can be like a street skating session. It can be by yourself, or 10 of your friends all riding and watching each other simultaniously. You see the guy in front of you nail a sick trick, and you come behind him and try to do it or beat it! Why be limited to who can fit on a boat, and why wait around? you dont see a bunch of skaters walking behind one guy riding, watching him. They are watching, but they are also skating themselves.

Versatility? Wakeskaters are killing it on the kite! Remember, you can kite in 3 inches of water, so it is literally like skating! And surfing, SURFING!! On a kite you can do it on an actual beach with an actual wave and really surf.

Think about how many blondes you can fit on a boat. Then think about how many you can fit on a beach. Then think about if most like being on a boat or on a beach. (the word "beach" can be replaced with lake park, etc)

Sliders and kickers are going off in kiteboarding. Just to directly to this media page http://www.dereck.com/dckiteboards/photoalbum.htm and follow the link to Antigua March 2005. Vid is about a trip, not really about riding, but there is some riding footage and some kicker footage at the end.

here is a link with some pics of sliders as well. http://www.realkiteboarding.com/index.cfm?page=newsitem&id=608

Kiteboarding goes off just as much or more than wakeboarding. the only thing different is the $50k boat, the $400 insurance, the maint cost, and $70 in gas. You would be suprised at how many pro wakeboarders are taking it to the next level and tinkering with the kite.

Kiteboarding is still in its infancy. Some of us remember what wakeboarding was like when it was small and young, and every rider was adding something to it. That is how kiteboarding is now.
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       06-10-2005, 5:40 AM Reply   
We are getting some wind here today. im so stoked!!!
Old    xwind            06-10-2005, 12:44 PM Reply   
That's funny cause I started kiteboarding 7 years ago...And this year I bought a boat cause I was tired of sitting on the beach waiting for wind...
Here in quebec we get good kiteboarding wind 1 day/week...It means spending lots of week-end drinking beer on the beach watching flat water...
Now I still drink beer on week-end....but in my boat between wakeboard and wakesurf session...

I still love way much more a good day kiteboarding then wakeboarding...