Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (fouroheight68)      Join Date: May 2006       04-08-2013, 3:26 PM Reply   
Is anyone else guilty as I am? I bought my truck new in 2010 and have never put plates on it. Haven't been pulled over once in it. I am generally a law abiding citizen, but a few too many "oops the meter expired 5 minutes" or the paranoia of red light tickets made me ditch the plates years ago. It saved me the other day when I missed a yellow light (looked down for a second) and saw the "flash" from a traffic camera. Saved me about $500.

My commuter car (2001 saturn) didn't fare so well. I had no plates on it for a year, but it's obviously not new and looks like a POS. I was pulled over every month or so, and always got the same question - "where are your plates?". Never lied, just said they were in the backseat and I didn't put them on. $20 fix it ticket, no big deal, but just hated the hassle of being pulled over. It did however save me an unspecified amount on bridge tolls.
Old     (fouroheight68)      Join Date: May 2006       04-08-2013, 3:32 PM Reply   
The irony is, if you try to obsure your plates its a $250 fine, whereas if you have no license plates its $20/$25 depending on jurisdiction.

V.C. Section 5201.1 - Obscuring Readability of License Plates: Prohibition

Obscuring Readability of License Plates: Prohibition
5201.1. (a) A person shall not sell a product or device that obscures, or is intended to obscure, the reading or recognition of a license plate, as prohibited by subdivision (g) of Section 5201.

(b) A conviction for a violation of subdivision (a) is punishable by a fine of two hundred fifty dollars ($250) per item sold.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-08-2013, 4:48 PM Reply   
Quote:
Is anyone else guilty as I am?
Whats worse.

The guy's that don't put CF Numbers on their Boat OR The guy's that don't put their plates on?

All I can say is thanks for helping me lose more faith in man kind. It good to know people like you live and breath and that Unicorn's exist.

Pull your pants up put your plates on and become a member of the human race. Because you run red light is not a valid excuse for not putting them on. I hope you get pulled over and you get this cop.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8XmEDMoEy0

Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-08-2013, 6:26 PM Reply   
LOL, I got pulled over and my boat registration was expired 15 years ago.
Old     (CarZin)      Join Date: Feb 2011       04-08-2013, 7:06 PM Reply   
Pathetic. Follow the law and stop worrying about it. With all the red light cameras in my area, not even a worry. The fact that you consciously try and avoid them just means you're one of the douche bags that ends up killing someone in an intersection.

'Hey everybody! Look at me! I don't follow the law and finally got caught! Gollee!'
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       04-08-2013, 9:10 PM Reply   
I had my boat since 2009 with no stickers because it looks better w/o. I live on a small river and
Know the warden and we talk on the water all the time. He says nothing. On the 4th, I've been pulled over by a visiting cop, but I keep the registration and current sticker in the glove box so they just give me a warning. I see no big deal. Hard to run in a boat with a max speed of 38 or so.
Old     (ferral)      Join Date: Sep 2007       04-08-2013, 9:11 PM Reply   
Douche
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-08-2013, 10:22 PM Reply   
I Have A Handicap Parking Placard Because i Had A Tumor In My Foot Last Year.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       04-10-2013, 1:42 PM Reply   
I see no harm, OP or the guy with no reg numbers on his boat are not hurting anyone. They are in fact paying their road/water tax so not even depriving the State of that. Tags exist only to serve the government, not to serve us, there is no harm to "the human race" or anyone at all by not displaying registration numbers.

As for avoiding red light cameras and such... They are set up as money makers and statistically result in more accidents at intersections. Commonly private contractors are used and they are paid a percentage of the money stolen from drivers. To maximize the money stolen from drivers, yellow lights are shortened which results in more people entering the intersection on red as it is less feasible, unsafe, or outright impossible to stop before the light changes to red. Personally since they started putting up red light cameras here, particularly with the very short yellows I not end up slamming on the brakes hard if there's any chance whatsoever to stop for a light that has turned yellow. Sometimes I end up a little past the white line, and it's amazing I haven't been rear ended yet. I'd rather pay to fix my truck than pay the state extortion money at gunpoint though, but that is a choice the State forces upon me by making roads less safe and trying to extract as much money as possible out of me when no crime has been committed.

Personally though, I jump through the road tax hoops, pay the fees, display the tags, etc. I even go so far as to purchase inspection stickers since the oppressive government makes my vehicle illegal in this state. Would that put me in the same category as the OP who chooses not to display registration numbers? I enter into a voluntary transaction with another person who gives me a legitimate/valid/scannable inspection sticker without actually doing the emissions testing. There is no victim, but I have broken a law. Nobody is hurt. The state loses some money it would have otherwise stole from me at gunpoint, to the tune of $180 a few times a year, but I gain more freedom of travel and don't lose hours of my time and hundreds of dollars. I see this as no different than what the OP does, violating a law but committing no crime as there is no victim. There is no aggression or damage against anyone of their property.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       04-10-2013, 1:53 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant_west View Post
Whats worse.

The guy's that don't put CF Numbers on their Boat OR The guy's that don't put their plates on?

All I can say is thanks for helping me lose more faith in man kind. It good to know people like you live and breath and that Unicorn's exist.

Pull your pants up put your plates on and become a member of the human race. Because you run red light is not a valid excuse for not putting them on. I hope you get pulled over and you get this cop.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8XmEDMoEy0

Never thought I'd say it, but I agree with G West. The law is not a buffet that you pick and choose from. Don't like the laws? Call your legislator and get them changed. But till that happens, play along like the rest of us.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       04-10-2013, 2:22 PM Reply   
I'm not blowing tollgates or running red lights in my boat. I am not breaking any safety rules that are enforced on my river at all. It started out as laziness, plus I only planned to keep the boat for a year. In the end, I decided that it looked better and was worth the fine when johnny-law finally busted me. I see no real harm.

Driving without plates...that is not a good idea especially if you are using it to break the law (not paying tolls). All it takes is for them to catch you once. They'll review the tapes and you are in some real trouble.
Old     (breakz77)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-10-2013, 3:04 PM Reply   
Probably shouldn't have posted online that you've been breaking the laws....... I'm sure you'll get caught eventually.... good job on convicting yourself!