Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (ryan387)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-24-2010, 1:12 PM Reply   
Anyone running anything on a 4 skim or black pearl other than the single fin that it comes with? If so, please compare it to riding just the center fin. My black pearl is a bit loose and I think I might like a little more hold, but it is hard to justify 70 bucks on the fins without even being sure. Thanks in advance
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-24-2010, 2:07 PM Reply   
If you are on facebook, look for sean cummings and ask that. He has lots of guys with different fin setups that ride with him. I am sure he could give you tons of good feedback on that.
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-24-2010, 2:28 PM Reply   
I have the same board and I have often wondered the same thing. Boardersmall.com has the other 4skim fins for 45$ I think.

Another I do is if the board feels squirelly I reposition my rear foot a bit. Sometimes the fin is not tracking right because of my stance. It has a pretty small sweet spot where it tracks perfect.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-24-2010, 3:45 PM Reply   
with the 4cm fins the black pearl yellow or infectious is the best beginner board. i have taught sooo many people on it. but usually by the end of their first day they take off the side fins. they are like training wheels.
Old     (ryan387)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-24-2010, 4:23 PM Reply   
Yeah I have a landlock I usually teach people on. I was curious how the board behaved with 3 of the skim style fins either the 3 or the 3.5 cm. I just feel like I honestly may be better with a bit more turning power. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't gonna make it too hard to break the board loose for tricks.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-24-2010, 4:31 PM Reply   
If you want to do tricks i would recommend just using the single center fin. I only have people use the side fins when they are learning to ride ropeless. Once they've got that the fins come off.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-24-2010, 4:41 PM Reply   
@mitch, the only thing I would add to that, is that a few of sean's crew ride the 3 fin setup to give them more of a hybird surf/skim feel. I know trinity likes to ride that way, and I believe a few others.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-24-2010, 4:47 PM Reply   
Robert, I'm just very anti-fin. haha. Finless!!!!!
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-24-2010, 4:51 PM Reply   
Yeah, when you are so close to the ground, such a low center of gravity, like yourself, you really don't need them. By the way, I wanted to send you a private email, so I went to your web page but couldn't find it.

http://www.keebler.com/contactus.html

[NOTE TO SELF: prepare for fat joke.]
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-24-2010, 5:28 PM Reply   
Actually since I am lighter I sit higher on the water making the board feel looser than if I was heavier and was able to sink the board more causing water to roll over the rails giving it more stability

I know a few things

Dave (notsobueno) was supposed to help me get a sponsorship with Just Born Candy but I guess that never happened
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-24-2010, 5:59 PM Reply   
You need to get up here and show me some of that behind my boat.
Old     (ndh2o)      Join Date: Oct 2001       08-25-2010, 6:12 AM Reply   
I ride the BP Yellow, generally on moderate sized/powered wakes. I love the tri-fin option, although I have been riding recently with only the two outer fins. And I am running 4cm (1.6") on it. I find it actually easier to control my spins, and am still able to do shuvs. Not a huge fan of the single setup, but haven't given it much of a chance. It seems I over-rotate spins, maybe I just need to keep it single for a while and get used to it. I am interested in hearing some other setups too, always willing to try something different.
Old     (ryan387)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-25-2010, 3:31 PM Reply   
Why are the fins so dang expensive?!? Didn't see any on boardersmall.com.