Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 03, 2009

Old     (amark)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-02-2009, 7:23 PM Reply   
I just wanted to give a shout out to the guys/gals involved in the Gauntlet. I just got my copy today in the mail. Its a sick vid you guys!!! Great work!! I had forgotten i put my name on the list so it was a nice pleasant surprise in the mail today haha....But yeah dudes props on the great movie, looks like you got a sweet team going.
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-03-2009, 7:16 AM Reply   
Thanks dude! The other topic is kinda dying off, which either means that people are just like, meh, whatever, or they haven't received their copy yet...

Anyways, we're going to make an attempt at this again next year. The people on the team are progressing like crazy. In the time that we were filming, for example, Jeff started sticking indy backside 180's, followed with different grabs, ts bs 180's, hs bs 3s, sw bs 3s, sw hs bs 180s. Daniel Maine learned batwings, but he also spent a good portion of the filming period recovering from a blown out knee. Davis's one set in the video was his first time riding in four months.

Based on that kind of progress and stuff, next year's video will have better riding to complement it. So yeah. I need to work on filming though, cause I kinda suck at it.
Old     (helinut)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-03-2009, 7:52 AM Reply   
I recieved my copy this last weekend. Very nice work. One recommendation I would make is to film it in widescreen format. I just bought a 32 inch 1080P LCD and it would have been nice to have it fill the monitor.

One other thought. Possibly let us watch more of the video in real time. To me, watching all the jumps in slo mo takes some of the coolness out of it. I like to see how fast you really have to move to get that back roll in without splashing down.

Very nice video though! Keep it up!
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-03-2009, 7:53 AM Reply   
My copy is sitting at my house, Ill let you know how much I love it as soon as I get my hands on it. I also forgot I put my name on the list so it was a great surprise to hear it came.
Old     (wakekat15)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-03-2009, 8:37 AM Reply   
Nick - I am out of town, but got word my DVD arrived. I am anxious to see it! Thanks so much!!
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-03-2009, 9:30 AM Reply   
Hmm, seems to fill my widescreen okay.

Shawn, I ran out of footage for some of the riders, so I had to use a bunch more slowmo than I wanted to. I'll keep that in mind for the next video though, thanks! Oh, and based on that, did you like Brian's/Paul's section? All but a few parts were full speed. I thought it felt sloppy though because of all the cuts. This year, there'll be a lot more footage, so less slowmo than this one, yay! I do agree with you. Every time I watch Edan's section I think, "damn, too much slowmo."

Also, the entire thing was filmed in widescreen. I'll try and figure out why it didn't fill your screen though, since it fills out my 32 inch 1080i LCD just fine... Will definitely look into that though bro, thanks for the heads up. I do know that TVs with a 4:3 ratio tend to cut off the sides of the video...
Old     (helinut)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-03-2009, 9:40 AM Reply   
Hmm. Well I'll take another look at it then, but there seemed to be quite a bit of it in 4:3. But then again, this was the first DVD I watched through my Xbox360 and the new monitor so some settings may need to be adjusted.

I understand now on the slo mo. Ya gotta do what ya gotta do. I know from experience that is takes a crap load of video to make just a 10 minute clip, let alone 40 to 50 minutes. I used to do skydiving vids and R/C model vids. 30 minutes of shot video for a 3 minute clip.
Old     (mike2001)      Join Date: Feb 2008       03-03-2009, 10:10 AM Reply   
Nick, just got it yesterday and watched last night. Here's my review...keep in mind I've never edited video, my experience is based on other videos I've seen.

For a 1st full length vid, it was very well done. With more experience and a bigger budget, I think you could hold your own against others in the industry...reminded me of a less refined Scrubs of the South. Good use of different angles (the less from the towboat, the better). I agree w/ Shawn, probably too much slo mo, but I liked it b/c it lets you see the small details of the trick, whether a grabs thrown in or its poked.

The intros for a couple of the riders were good b/c they broke up the riding footage. The tricks were well edited to the music. I didn't care much for the techno-ish song halfway through, but thats personal preference.

For future releases, the only suggestions I have are more rider intros and some footage from the tube (which probably goes w/ a bigger budget).

Overall, great job. Hope this helps.
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-03-2009, 10:21 AM Reply   
I wanted more tube footage, but my camera somehow tore up the front of the waterproof housing, so that idea got canceled. Plus I needed to buy a squeegee to keep water off of the front of it. The autofocus on the camera loves the beads of water on the housing as well, so I have 40 minutes of amazing footage of water sliding around on the housing with an odd shape flying around in the background.

And rider intros are definitely going to be better this time. I think I'm going to run with the now ever so popular interview quote before the video section. I've heard that comment a few times.

I'm loving the relatively honest reviews guys! Keep 'em coming.

Did I mention that the first trailer for this video was the first time I had edited wakeboard video, and only the second video that I had ever edited? Talk about amateur stuff. =P
Old     (mc_x15)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-03-2009, 11:42 AM Reply   
NICK great job, appreciate everything.
Old     (helinut)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-03-2009, 11:45 AM Reply   
One thing to do is set your auto focus to manual and then set it to infinity. On decently bright day's you'll never have to worry about the focus since the iris will be small (i.e. f/stop). I did this for skydiving vids and never had an out of focus issue.
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-03-2009, 12:18 PM Reply   
Yeah, my camera doesn't have manual focus. It's beyond irritating. I'm planning on upgrading to a better camera next year, but right now the Canon HG10 will have to do.
Old     (jpminter)      Join Date: Feb 2008       03-03-2009, 2:01 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the kind words guys. Nick seriously put tons of time into this and it wouldn't surprise me if he is failing out of school now haha.
Old     (tallen74)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-03-2009, 3:06 PM Reply   
Got my dvd on friday!! Watched it that day, props to you and the teams. You really put alot of time and effort into this so we all could enjoy...
Old     (cwaker4)      Join Date: Nov 2005       03-03-2009, 6:08 PM Reply   
also got my copy of the dvd and was impressed, you guys have a prety solid crew. i am on the long beach state team and were starting to get a video going and gauntlet was a great one to check out.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-03-2009, 7:33 PM Reply   
Thanks....got me itching to ride. May your crew have a great season.
Old     (balr54)      Join Date: May 2004       03-03-2009, 10:15 PM Reply   
Definitely enjoyed the dvd Nick. You and your crew did a great job!!
Old     (dukeno1)      Join Date: May 2006       03-04-2009, 2:25 AM Reply   
Thanks Nick! Thought the video was great and appreciate the effort you put into it!! I am ready for warm weather...)
Old     (inty399)      Join Date: May 2007       03-04-2009, 4:24 AM Reply   
its TIGHT.
Old     (jeffcanary62)      Join Date: Apr 2003       03-04-2009, 10:02 AM Reply   
Thanks for the support everyone. Like Paul said nick put a huge amount of time and effort into this video.

Those of you have mad donations to the Virginia Tech wakeboard club, thank you a lot. Will be sending out some personal thank yous but the donations are much appreciated.
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-04-2009, 5:25 PM Reply   
Nick, I really enjoyed the vid.
I'm having some friends over this weekend that have not seen it yet so I'll throw it on for them to check out.

Great riding Nick, Jeff and Paul (and others)
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-05-2009, 11:40 AM Reply   
Thanks again guys, I'm stoked that people are enjoying it, despite the obvious newbieness of the entire video.

Kyle Duffy, if you see this post, hit me up with a PM, I have an envelope sitting here labeled for you, but I could have sworn that I already sent your copies out.
Old     (jaybee)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-05-2009, 11:47 AM Reply   
Just watched it and man I think for the second video you have ever edited it is a great piece of film.
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       03-05-2009, 12:00 PM Reply   
Nick, that was a great video. No doubt. Everybody whose watched it so far has really enjoyed it. Thanks again for offering to share that with everybody!
Old     (tp83)      Join Date: Nov 2007       03-05-2009, 1:34 PM Reply   
Sick vid, Thanks for sharing it.
Old     (waterdork88)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-05-2009, 4:49 PM Reply   
sending out another thanks. I showed it to my friends and they loved it. Nick, I know the songs are in the credits, but I'm a slow writer, can you give me the list of songs. :-)
Old     (otown_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2007       03-05-2009, 7:11 PM Reply   
Great job Nick! I've seen professional stuff not done as well. Also a nice bit of talent on the team. Good job guys!!
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-05-2009, 11:48 PM Reply   
Yeah, here they are:

Part of My Demise - Pilot (Cody Lee Dopps)
Ultimate Victory - Chamillionaire
Hunting for Witches - Bloc Party
Does it Offend You? - Yeah We are Rockstars (may be the other way around?)
Without Eyes - Algebraic Satellite
Can't Sleep - Jimmy Blazer
Channeled Control - Baker Family Band
The Disco - Snakeosaurus Rex
Paranoia - Swollen Members
Love - Jumping the Gun

All but the obvious four are indie bands without labels (as of the time of obtaining their music for use. That might have changed).

I'm planning on using a few more Snakeosaurus Rex songs in the next video, since I loved the vibe of their music.
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-26-2009, 11:56 PM Reply   
Okay, quick bump. One of the bands that gave me their music didn't get their copy due to some shipping problem. Which means some random dude somewhere got like, 3 copies of the video for no reason... *sigh*

Did anyone else who ordered a copy not get one?

Not having this video to fill up my spare time is leaving me so incredibly bored. So in that vein, I'm announcing this next year's video here. Hopefully I'll find a way to cut costs a little bit, cause they started to run up this year, but yeah, HEYO!

Gnarcolepsy - December 2009

Riders that have all signed on to this year's project (some are a little tentative)

Edan Fletcher
Jeff Goldblum
Paul Minter
Brian Benjamin
Josh Settlage
Casey Svehlak
Joel Wagner
Lee Wagner
Robby McFarland
Sam Baker
Zach Ashton
Walter Scheib
Chris Kah
Adam Van Dyke
Daniel Maine
Brett Fiskus

And a bunch of new members of the VT Wakeboard Club who aren't actually members yet, so they don't know that they're going to be in this just yet. Hahahaha.
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-27-2009, 5:22 AM Reply   
Nick, I look forward to your next film.

Love the name..........do you fall asleep in class alot? Hahaha

Narcolepsy is a chronic sleep disorder (a dyssomnia) characterized by overwhelming daytime drowsiness and sudden attacks of sleep. The condition is most characterized by excessive daytime sleepiness (EDS), in which a person experiences extreme tiredness and possibly falls asleep during the day at inappropriate times, such as at work or school. A narcoleptic will most probably experience disturbed nocturnal sleep, which is often confused with insomnia, and disorder of REM or rapid eye movement sleep.
Old     (dppaneig)      Join Date: Feb 2008       03-27-2009, 5:57 AM Reply   
Hey Nick, thanks for the video. That is really cool that you guys did this and I am sure you had a blast. A donation will be in the mail for you.
Old     (lfadam)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-27-2009, 2:04 PM Reply   
Gnarcolepsy heck yea! cant wait to get out on the water and film too. im stoked for this season
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       03-27-2009, 2:16 PM Reply   
Nick I wanted to thank you as well. I got mine in the mail weeks ago and just recently had time to watch it the other day. Great Video.

Do me a favor and email me home address I want to send you something as a thank you.

Brannon
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-27-2009, 2:28 PM Reply   
Adam, you think you're stoked? I'm so freaking pumped on this. The playlist is starting to look really solid too.

And Dave, if I haven't had a caffeine pill or a monster 30 minutes before the class, well then class=naptime. I'm still doing oddly well despite that.

Also, I'm going to attempt to get some people to sponsor this video (like, legitimately sponsor it), so that the club has an easier time affording the costs, as well as to hopefully buy rights to songs and stuff, make it that much more legit. That's one thing that bugged me about a few sections in Gauntlet, but after 10 hours of crappy myspace music, I only had a few decent bands to show for it, and only 4 of the responded.

GNARCOLEPSY- A brain disorder in which the gnarcoleptic individual lapses into uncontrollable fits of gnar.

(Message edited by wakeboardern1 on March 27, 2009)