Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 29, 2007

Old     (shaggystud06)      Join Date: Feb 2007       11-12-2007, 8:17 AM Reply   
So I am looking at doing study abroad next year, and was wondering what ENGLISH speaking countries are big into wakeboarding. Ya thats pretty much how im basing where I am going to go for a semester. I was thinking New Zealand, just because that would be freakin sweet. Thanks
Old     (jrogers26)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-12-2007, 8:34 AM Reply   
I did a study abroad trip this summer at Oxford. It was awesome.
They have the Oxford wakeboard club...

http://web.mac.com/wakestuff/iWeb/www.Oxfordwsc.com/Home.html

BUT-it's cloudy, really expensive, rains once a day, and is NOT warm like TX...fyi.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-12-2007, 10:14 AM Reply   
I can hook you up in Auckland, NZ or in the central North Island at Mangakino. See the boyz trip post for photos. If you are going to the South Island I can give you introductions to people in Queenstown and Wanaka. We have a local site wake.co.nz

There is a really strong community in Ausy, post over on wake.com.au
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       11-12-2007, 10:52 AM Reply   
Man I went to germany 2 summers ago and rode a ton of cable parks it was super sick! Highly suggested, although they dont do really any boat riding there.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       11-12-2007, 11:08 AM Reply   
yea, there is something like a 150 cable parks scattered throughout Europe. crazy, considering we have 4.
Old     (aliwake)      Join Date: Dec 2006       11-12-2007, 2:31 PM Reply   
Australia! study at UQ in Brisbane - we have a wake club that rides on campus. plus there's 2 cable parks within an hour's drive too.
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-12-2007, 2:36 PM Reply   
go to manitoba. why? look at google maps, what makes up most of manitoba? exactly.
Old     (liquidmalibu)      Join Date: Sep 2007       11-12-2007, 2:39 PM Reply   
Definantly Australia.
you cant go past the sunshine and good times.
most universities have a wakeboard club with real good boats.
theres some great riders. make sure your here for summer!
Old     (jrogers26)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-12-2007, 10:03 PM Reply   
dammit...looks like i should've gone to Australia!
Old     (shaggystud06)      Join Date: Feb 2007       11-13-2007, 6:22 AM Reply   
haha Ausi def. has my attention
what is their weather like during the school year since its in the southern hemisphere?
Old     (rockledge)      Join Date: Sep 2005       11-13-2007, 7:22 AM Reply   
Our winter is their summer. Our spring is their fall (which is warm anyway).

If you go to Queensland, you can ride all year.
Old     (aliwake)      Join Date: Dec 2006       11-13-2007, 2:47 PM Reply   
Definitely come to UQ in Brisbane - we ride year round. It's gets coldish in winter, but we never need more than a wetsuit top , so I guess most of you guys wouldn't think it was cold at all!
We also have heaps of other international students in our club, so there's lots of fun people to meet and heaps of partying. :-) sold yet?

have a look at www.uqski.com
most of the pics on there are a bit old, but nothing has changed really. Most members wakeboard now, and we have two new responses that we load up if needed. the boat pics on the site are our old boats.

(Message edited by aliwake on November 13, 2007)
Old     (shaggystud06)      Join Date: Feb 2007       11-13-2007, 2:57 PM Reply   
what is UQ's reputation
smart, hard, party???

Not going to lie if I go to Ausi I dont want to be bogged down with school work

Oh and how is the girl situation like there, im coming from a school with beautiful girls

(Message edited by shaggystud06 on November 13, 2007)
Old     (aliwake)      Join Date: Dec 2006       11-13-2007, 7:20 PM Reply   
UQ is a really good school, but it definitely has sufficient bludge courses for all the americans that come to party for a semester... :-)
It's pretty big, so there's plenty of different stuff on offer.
i think the website is www.uq.edu.au
i'm told there are plenty of hot girls on campus ;)
Old     (calummoore)      Join Date: Nov 2007       11-14-2007, 11:05 PM Reply   
UQ is Queensland's most respected university. So definitely the one you'd be wanting to go to. But the same as any uni its up to you the amount of workload you take on. Plus it's located on the Brisbane river which is super long and you can ride up and down the whole thing. We ride on that river so you're welcome to come and ride with us. Except i'm going to the states in june for 6 months or so (haha ironic?) But we would still be able to hook you up with locals. Weather is awesome, even in the middle of winter we ride in boardshorts and a vest.

And yes, the girls are good. Especially at UQ
Old     (shaggystud06)      Join Date: Feb 2007       11-15-2007, 6:31 AM Reply   
Well I wouldn't be going for another year or so, but where in the states are you going to be?
Old     (calummoore)      Join Date: Nov 2007       11-18-2007, 11:53 PM Reply   
I'm not sure yet. I'm working in a summer camp teaching wakeboarding and i'm yet to be placed, So i've got no idea. If you do end up coming to brisbane you are more than welcome to come ride with us and we'll show you around town