Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-25-2010, 10:18 AM Reply   
It seems that Resin Research is "the standard". But, I'm cheap so I looked at US Composites. Price was good, but it isn't UV. Surf Source is closer to me, and they don't sell RR, and they don't state that you can use their same epoxy and hardener for both lam and hot coats. Anybody have a preference? I'm just skeered I guess.

I just keep thinking about my polyester experiences as a kid and the wife IS NOT going to say I wasted money on this folly.
Old     (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       08-25-2010, 12:15 PM Reply   
If its not UV protected then it will turn yellow or orange quick, I use greenroom epoxy and seem to like it better then the R/R that most folks use.
Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-25-2010, 1:19 PM Reply   
Thanks Brew. I saw one of your other posts that suggested Greenroom. I checked them out.... gotta call. Calling to me is like writing a blank check. I don't like wasting someones time by calling and checking prices. But then again, if you have to ask how much something is, then you prolly can't afford. However, if I did that, I would already have my $630 Red Woodie.

I may give them a buzz though. They are closer to me than most anyone else. I don't want to have a whole bunch of supplies laying around. I like the 2:1 for lay up and 1:1 for hot coat. Maybe they are all like that, but it seems that the Surf Source brand isn't.
Old     (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       08-25-2010, 1:24 PM Reply   
I will use fast and slow hardener and mix them up as nessary at 50/50 for vac bag lams and 100% fast for cheater coat and hot coat
Old    surfdad            08-25-2010, 3:24 PM Reply   
There are only about 3 or 4 actual epoxy manufacturers in the USA and all of the names mentioned above buy their bulk from one of those producers. Then they filter and add some additives for branding and mix ratio purposes. I can't find the abstract now, but RR and SS are from the same bulk supplier, I do believe. All of the surf specific epoxies contain a UV inhibitor. GR, RR and SS all do. The lower mix ratios are more tolerant of garage shapers mixing behaviors 2:1 or 1:1 can be 1.95:1 or .95:1 without much issue. The 5:1 or even 4:1 have much less room for error. My personal fav's are epoxies that are 1:1 ratios. The ratios should be the same for lam coat or hot coat, unless you are changing hardener (for example: from fast to slow). You don't really need two separate hardeners in a typical garage build. Fast epoxy is still waaaaayyyyy slow enough for a hand lamination. I like RR because I can get it locally quick and easy, the others have to be shipped and I swear they always ship hazmat slow. Essentially, they are all the same bulk resin and hardener, it's just the fillers that are different.