Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 20, 2004

Old    socretes            08-12-2004, 4:59 AM Reply   
Jus got this last month, anyone recognize it?

Old    skippy            08-12-2004, 5:30 AM Reply   
Yup, I recognise it.. Spongebob square pants. size small

hehe
Old    jdavis4            08-12-2004, 5:37 AM Reply   
Spongebob

Nope, but like the tat location
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-12-2004, 6:54 AM Reply   
You're supposed to put the ring on your finger!

(Message edited by Blabel on August 12, 2004)
Old    foobysmacker            08-12-2004, 7:33 AM Reply   
Duh, guys- he's not asking about the spongebob shorts.

I recognize the ring, Frodo-- but I heard you were supposed to take it to Mount Doom or something like that. :-)

No clue on the tat. But I agree w/ MikeD on the location. Pretty cool.
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-12-2004, 7:37 AM Reply   
LOL
Old     (kimmy)      Join Date: Aug 2001       08-12-2004, 8:39 AM Reply   
So John what does the tat mean? I do like the SpongeBob shorts though...lol.
Old    socretes            08-12-2004, 8:46 AM Reply   
oh dear oh dear r u serious? no i wasnt talking about my spongebob boxers although they are extremely funky :P
the chinese charachters? i wont tell you yet, of all people you guys on wakeworld should know. ;) *hint*

(Message edited by socretes on August 12, 2004)
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-12-2004, 8:50 AM Reply   
you like the 04 TFD???
Old    socretes            08-12-2004, 8:53 AM Reply   
aahh finally a seasoned wakeboarder
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-12-2004, 8:56 AM Reply   
I think it means, 'I sold my soul to hyperlite'?
Old    socretes            08-12-2004, 8:59 AM Reply   
Hahahahah no actually its FROM the 04TFD designed by Chad Sharpe. The Symbols are from Chad Sharpe's very own tattoo on his arm meaning:
Love, Respect, Focus, Passion.

(Message edited by socretes on August 12, 2004)
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-12-2004, 9:17 AM Reply   
I feel bad for getting it right. NO offense, but the chinese characters will go out of style. maybe already out, i dont know.

I kick myself everday for the yinyang on my back.
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-12-2004, 9:22 AM Reply   
i really dont have a yinyang. Did you varify that, that is exactly what they mean? Or are you going on some elses word?

It may be urban legend, but you hear stories of people getting what they think is a "cool" chinese character put on their arm, and instead of "strength", it really means "homo" or something like that. Hope you didnt get shammed.
Old    socretes            08-12-2004, 9:47 AM Reply   
uhh "NO offense" but dyou think Chad Sharpe has homo written on his arm? coz he has the exact same tattoo. and yeah your right yinyangs are gay and out of style. But MY tat is for me, and will always represent what i believe in, not my "style."
Old     (above_the_levee)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-12-2004, 9:51 AM Reply   
"...MY tat is for me, ...." haha, he snakes the tat from some pro and then claims it as original....poser grafitti !
Old    foobysmacker            08-12-2004, 9:58 AM Reply   
LOL. that would be pretty funny if Sharpe did have homo on his arm. Not that it would really matter, but explaining it your friends would be fun for the reaction. Sounds more like a Steve-O tat in that case.

From an online news story:

Last month Britney, 22, had a new Kabbalah-inspired tattoo - but the translation was wrong.

The stunning star, who was introduced to the mystic Jewish religion by Madonna, wanted the Hebrew symbols for 'new era' etched onto the back of her neck.

But a source revealed: "It seems she's got the words the wrong way around, so it is meaningless." It wasn't the first time Britney has got a tattoo wrong - last year, she had a Chinese symbol tattooed, which she thought meant 'mysterious', but actually meant 'strange.'

I've heard the same of other celebs. Too bad for them that stuff like this makes the news. LOL.

In any case I think the tat is cool.
Old    socretes            08-12-2004, 10:00 AM Reply   
cheers cliff :-)
Old     (dbjts)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-12-2004, 10:25 AM Reply   
Egg fried rice with noodles
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-12-2004, 10:42 AM Reply   
but actually meant 'strange'

Isn't "strange" what every guy wants?
Old     (snead)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-12-2004, 11:36 AM Reply   
You have to be kidding me, is this post for real? Are you going to get Murrays temmet logo on the other side? Nice tat Frodo.

(Message edited by snead on August 12, 2004)
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-12-2004, 11:46 AM Reply   
I don't see how that's the same thing. Even without the connection to the hyperlite or Chad, these characters have meaning. It's not like he he put a hyperlite logo on his body, his board was just the inspiration.
Old     (snead)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-12-2004, 11:47 AM Reply   
Your right. We should judge another man actions. Even if it's permently carved into his body.
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       08-12-2004, 12:02 PM Reply   
To further add to Britney being a tool, Kabbalah strickly forbids getting tattoos.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-12-2004, 12:19 PM Reply   
This thread is funny. Keep it going! :-)
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-12-2004, 12:22 PM Reply   
I agree with greatdane....grabbing my popcorn.
Old     (shutupandboard)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-12-2004, 12:25 PM Reply   
John, I like both tats ecspecially the one on your back. But..Before calling people names, realize your the one that asked everyone what they thought.
Old    mastercraft_ok            08-12-2004, 1:44 PM Reply   
Doing a little research on www.formosa-translation.com -

Love, Respect, Focus, Passion is:

Focus was not in their list, so I had to go with Focal. It is hard to tell from the pictures but it looks like they are close...
Old     (wakestar8878)      Join Date: Oct 2003       08-12-2004, 1:51 PM Reply   
Old     (magellan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-12-2004, 1:51 PM Reply   
That tattoo on your back is going to get messed up when you hit puberty and start to grow back hair..
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-12-2004, 1:55 PM Reply   
I love my 04 TFD so much that.............
Old    foobysmacker            08-12-2004, 2:25 PM Reply   
You guys miss the point (as J-Rod was pointing out). The tat stands by itself. I didn't recognize the TFD link as I've never seen an 04 TFD. But there is meaning to it, and I personally think it's pretty cool regardless of what inspired it. Long after the board goes away, the characters will certainly still mean the same thing.

As for the tat on the back, I think it's pretty cool, too, especially as an original design. In fact, the slashes in the design remind me of the scars you get when you survive getting run over by your own boat-- so how's that for wakeboarding inspiration? (not that too many people can say they picked a fight with their own prop, but hey...)
Old    tutman            08-12-2004, 2:30 PM Reply   
WOW, toolfan, did you design that yourself? You don't mind if I get the same one on my left arm, do ya'? hahaha....lol
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-12-2004, 2:31 PM Reply   
no, I got DNA spelled out with 100 dollar bills.
Old    tutman            08-12-2004, 2:33 PM Reply   
Socrete, those are cool tats.
Old    foobysmacker            08-12-2004, 2:34 PM Reply   
I think I'll get the DNA one if it will help my riding
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-12-2004, 2:44 PM Reply   
you guys are just MEAN!
Old    jonnyrotten79            08-12-2004, 2:51 PM Reply   
yea im into the tat... it has a good meaning
Old    jrh2001            08-12-2004, 3:02 PM Reply   
that tat is stupid.

what does the tribal tat mean?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-12-2004, 3:30 PM Reply   
jrh...let me guess your age!

Ummmmm....12!
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-12-2004, 3:57 PM Reply   
"Hahahahah no actually its FROM the 04TFD designed by Chad Sharpe. The Symbols are from Chad Sharpe's very own tattoo on his arm"

"But MY tat is for me, and will always represent what i believe in, not my "style.""

Those two statements are laughable.
Old     (easyrider)      Join Date: Oct 2003       08-12-2004, 4:19 PM Reply   
I have to bring this up...have fun with it......

Save that pic and zoom in on it.......looks photoshopped, haha. The skin is different textured around the symbols.
Besides the bottom symbol not lineing up correctly verticaly, and not from skin movment.

My bet is he wanted to get it, didnt know if it was cool.... put it on here, and now realized how dumb it was so wont get it. Thats my rant, now go ahead, rip it apart.

--Shows how bored I am, looking outside at the 100 degree clear day and looking forward for the next 4 days of boarding!--
Old    foobysmacker            08-12-2004, 4:19 PM Reply   
scott- chill out man. go read the forum guidelines. then go take some relaxation meds. then go read the guidelines again.

neither WW nor the general wakeboarding community need crap like that. you waste your time, you waste mine because I'm subscribed to this thread, and you bump this thread to the top of the list with a big banner that says "hey everyone look at my idiotic post".
Old    steve_chavez            08-12-2004, 4:30 PM Reply   
4 days of boarding. I only get 2....:-(
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       08-12-2004, 4:33 PM Reply   
this thread has caught the ghey......
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-12-2004, 6:41 PM Reply   
Well All I can say about that Tattoo is that depending on what Asian country you're in, it will have a different meaning
And even if you did have someone interpret those symbols, their explaination of each character could be way off to another persons interpretation.
That's why I never translate or even attempt.
FYI - a single Asian character has 4 different meanings
Old    socretes            08-13-2004, 1:13 AM Reply   
wow.. you guys are pretty sad. J-Rod was the only one who got the actual point of the tat. and the rest of you are just hating on it for no reason...
Old     (teamvaldez)      Join Date: Apr 2003       08-13-2004, 8:04 AM Reply   
Hey John, I like the symbols, I like the tat, I liked it on the board, cuz I love the meanings of them. My son Eddie rides that board and we all liked it from the start. In these days when you have some of the awfulest (is that even a word?) graphics (AND tattoos)....I personally wouldn't want to wake up to Satans face for the rest of my life. Good for you that if you get a tat, it has a positive meaning. Not representing hatred or evil. Who cares what others think? My husband and I both got the symbol for "devoted" Mine is on my lower back though so as not to look inappropriate. After 24 years together, we feel we did the symbols justice. Now you have to do yours justice. Just because someone doesn't agree and may flame, who cares?? "Love, respect, focus, passion" there is so much anger and hatred in the world today, don't get sucked up into it.
"Do not wrestle with a pig, you both get dirty and the pig likes it"
It is a quote that I have had to use alot lately!!
Old    crowe            08-13-2004, 8:25 AM Reply   
Socretes, if you like it, then its all good. who cares what other people think.
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-13-2004, 8:27 AM Reply   
But he does care what people think. That's why MOST people get tatoos, for attention.
Old    part_timer            08-13-2004, 8:35 AM Reply   
Not exactly, but posting it on here and asking for other people's opinions is asking for trouble if you don't have a thick skin.
Old     (yooper)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-13-2004, 10:23 AM Reply   
At first I was afraid to ask everyone's opinion of my tattoo, but after all the useful information exchanged on this thread, I think I will. What do you think? Don't make fun of me, please...... this tattoo has special meaning to me.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-13-2004, 10:27 AM Reply   
that is awesome.
Old     (west)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-13-2004, 10:42 AM Reply   
Thats tight as hell Jamie!!!!hahahahahahaha
Old    tutman            08-13-2004, 10:55 AM Reply   
Valdez - very well said.

Yooper - HILARIOUS!!!
Old    jonnyrotten79            08-13-2004, 11:34 AM Reply   
hey ryan that tat does look a little photo shopped and his nipple does also lol
Old     (greenpinky)      Join Date: Apr 2004       08-13-2004, 12:51 PM Reply   
John, I like the tattoos. (I've got a few myself, but they're usually covered up by clothing.) But, what I don't like is looking at your undies. I don't understand why guys walk around while showing the world their gitch. Pull up the drawers! But, cool tattoos!
Old     (shutupandboard)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-13-2004, 2:24 PM Reply   
Mike, Dude, what are you saying! That's spongebob! You gotta show em off.

As far as Bart goes.....OMG.....that's hillarious.
Old     (gnarkill)      Join Date: Feb 2004       08-14-2004, 2:41 PM Reply   
Socretes, you poor kid, I really feel bad for you. You need to step back and look at your first wake world post and see how sad you really are, your just screaming for attention and it’s pretty pathetic. You create a wake world account on the 12th, and then post this little gem the same day? When did wake world turn into a badass contest? Nothing like showing off for your first wake world post. “Check out my gnar tattoos, yeah bro all original, uh well kind of.” Obviously your not getting enough attention from your “group” of friends, there probably still laughing behind your back, about how “Sick” your new tattoo is. If I were you I would be telling all of my friends how much I hate them everyday for letting me get these tattoos. So if your Chad Sharpe Pro-Model tattoo represents Love, Respect, Focus, and Passion what does the tattoo on your back represent? Thug life in the trailer park? Next time pick a better tattoo off the wall. I hope you run into Chad Sharpe someday and he kicks your ass for stealing his tattoo. Fight the power.
Old     (teamvaldez)      Join Date: Apr 2003       08-14-2004, 3:27 PM Reply   
way to spread some sunshine turk, now go take a shower, none of us want to get dirty
Old     (wakeshoe)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-15-2004, 7:38 AM Reply   
Whoa, now I think I understand the red letter message from the BB administrator and moderator. All this hating over a tattoo?? Socretes, I agree that turkish was over the line, but I don't understand why your profile shows you registered on August 12, 2004. Since you say you have been posting on wakeworld "a LOT longer than february", were you posting under another registered ID?? I mean no harm here, just curious on the registration. Thanks.

(Message edited by wakeshoe on August 15, 2004)
Old    foobysmacker            08-15-2004, 8:32 PM Reply   
I'm sooo tired of people jumping on others just because of a lack of posts or because they have just recently registered-- without any good reason. So what if someone just registered? So what if someone only has a few posts? I for one work pretty hard to afford my wakeboarding habit for me and my family and find less than enough time (or desire) to post 15,000 messages. Does that make me an idiot or my posts any less meaningful? No.

Now I agree that there are suspicious posts from first-time posters, especially when they appear as veiled advertisements or false testimonials. These posts should definitely be exposed for what they are. But for every suspicious post from a recently registered user there are hundreds of posts from lurkers who have been reading WW for some time and finally posted a message. EVERYONE has to post their first message sometime, right? So why the hate? Posts like those from turkish (yes you deserve to be singled out) who not only have NOTHING positive to add to a thread but take the extra time to find someone's first post just for extra ammunition really, REALLY bring the quality of this community down.

And back to the topic of this thread-- the haters on this thread try to point out how much Socretes wants to show off his tat and see what people think haven't apparently READ THE TITLE of the thread-- the question wasn't "isn't my tat really cool?" but actually "anyone recognize?". I don't recall him asking for anyone's opinion of it. More power to you, Socretes.

Time for me to stop reading replies before all this lameness leaves a mark.
Old     (wakeshoe)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-15-2004, 8:50 PM Reply   
Cliff,
These posts are sometimes hard to interpret. However, I am not questioning lurkers. I am questioning why socrates says he has been posting for a long time (note, not lurking but posting), yet his profile shows he just registered on August 12, 2004. Either he has been posting as some other ID or the BB is broken. That's all I was asking. BTW, I like that your favorite rider is your wife - my favorite right now is actually my two sons.

(Message edited by wakeshoe on August 15, 2004)
Old    lunaraven            08-16-2004, 8:12 AM Reply   
Wakeshoe, Cliff will not read your reply due to fear of lameness stains.
Asian language tattoo's were popular even when I was Socrates age and I have no regrets for mine.

domo
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-16-2004, 11:44 AM Reply   

quote:

I have yet to see an intelligent post from you. Do you have anything valuable to contribute to the WW board

Very, true. Why is it that I get the feeling that your posting as someone else? Your profile description and photo is nothing more than sarcasm(sp?).
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-16-2004, 12:24 PM Reply   
the Styx rule. i though i was the only one with that tattoo.