Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through December 14, 2003

Old     (tshmitty)      Join Date: Aug 2003       10-15-2003, 8:46 PM Reply   
My company is moving part of it's office to the Florida area and was hoping anyone out there could tell me if there are any good riding area's either close to the Melborne, FL area, or on the outskirts. I must be close to river, lake, somewhere I can ride!!! If you know of any good spots, or can direct me where to look for a home where I can be on a river/lake or something close. This is a must, or I stay in the NW!

Thanks in advance for any help. . . Chris}
Old    xtremebordgurl            10-16-2003, 12:05 AM Reply   
Chris, I was just looking at a map, it looks like Melbourne is no more than 2 hrs from Orlando, and ur guarenteed a pull at OWC, but it looks like there are a couple lakes near Melbourne also. Do u have ur own boat? How far are u willing to drive? Is Melbourne a must, or can u choose a neighboring town? If you're not set on Melbourne then you might want to check out Rockledege, it looks like that is halfway between where OWC is and Melbourne. I dunno, I wish I could be more helpful, my guess, rather I have a pretty good feeling that if you go to Florida, I don't think you'll have a very hard time finding a place to ride. I could be wrong but, I dunno. Go down and check out th area, see what you think. Good luck, also if there is anything else I can do to help ya out let me know. Best of Luck
Old    uglyinfatuation            10-16-2003, 8:19 AM Reply   
whats up this is justin butinsky i live in palm bay the best place for you to go is at canal 54. that is where i wakeboarded for almost 4 years. its plenty wide enough and 13 miles long. you go down babcock south and once you past malabar its about 10 miles. my parents just bought a piece of property on a private ski lake in palm bay. they just made it and its finally full and we are able to ride on it!!!!! its sweet!!!!!!!!
Old    uglyinfatuation            10-16-2003, 8:20 AM Reply   
if you ever want to ride out there leave yur # and i will call you and tell you more
Old    buttacup            10-16-2003, 9:07 AM Reply   
My mom's friend lives in Melbourne and she says Orlando is about 45 minutes away. Not sure what lakes there are in that area to ride at, haven't been there in years.
Old     (wakesk8er2)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-16-2003, 8:31 PM Reply   
lake santa fe, if i'm not mistaken is in melbourne. it is a sweet place to ride, and it is huge, so you will definantly be able to find a place on or around it.
Old    leslisa            10-17-2003, 7:56 AM Reply   
I'm from Melbourne ). Here's some general information (probably more than you want - hahaha) and feel free to ask questions.

We have some awesome riding here. There is fresh water and salt water:

There are two great fresh water locations:

1. C-54 Canal.

Pro's - really straight, high banks so almost no wind issues, and light - medium use.

Con's - The ramp is a b*tch to get in and out of unless you have a 4x4 attached to your boat. If you are really good, you can prob use the power of the boat to push you up the ramp a bit. My Ford F-150 is not a 4x4 so we still haven't been. Additionally, it has more gators and snakes than you can shake a stick at. The gators won't really bother you from what I've heard, but the snakes are very aggressive and many are poisonous.

2. Lake Washington

Pro's - Huge, huge, huge. It also connects with the St. Johns river system and provides some pretty long runs without having to stop or turn.
Con's - When it's windy (and that's often since we are near the coast), there are white caps on the lake, you can still go in the St. Johns river from there on windy days and find some pretty good glass. The lake smells from rotting vegetation and such. It will also stain your white clothes a brown color if you are careful to wash them right away. Gators - it's polluted with the critters, but they usually leave you along. Fishermen - some are nice and some are really a--holes, who don't watch where they are going. PWC people who let their kids ride are usually found to start inhabiting the lake about 1:00 p.m. Since the lake and river system is so big, you can usually find a quiet spot though.

Saltwater areas:

Indian River Lagoon - It's quiet, calm and huge.

Pros: You can put in a number of places, but if you go near Sebastian to put in, there are some islands you can go camping on or use as a base. It's a pretty darn nice area. Fewer gators. Salt water is more boyant.

Cons: That river can be really windy some days and have white caps on it. The gators that are there are meaner (or perhaps I should say "jumpy") than the freshwater gators, mainly because they can't see as well (that's what the wildlife guy I talked to said anyway). Salt water hurts more when you fall (I have a friend who broke her ribs falling off a tube) and when it is pushed up your nose and out your mouth, it hurts more than fresh water (since I fall a considerable amount, this is a BIG issue for me - haha).

Most people are pretty nice, and if you have a pretty girl on the boat, they are even nicer. I don't know where you are at right now, but we have a nice long riding season, especially if you have a shorty and a full wetsuit. Right now it is 82 during the day and about 65 degrees at night.

OWC is about 1 hour from Melbourne/Palm Bay area. There are a lot of places you can take lessons if you would ever like to do that. OWC offers them and my 5 yo son takes them at O'Town Watersports in Orlando, about 1.5 hrs. from Melbourne/Palm Bay area. Wakeboarding Camp is a little more east if you would like to go there.

Erica - since I'm from Palm Bay too, and looking to buy a new house, I was wondering if you would tell me what lake you are on? We were thinking of buying on a canal beach side, but a lake would be nice too. Thanks )

If you want to hook up sometime after you get here, just let me know. I think you will really like the area.

Old    uglyinfatuation            10-17-2003, 8:38 AM Reply   
whats up this is justin her boyfriend i was the one who sent the first replys. its called still water lake(and for a reason) btu all the lots are sold. itwas actually made for watersports and we are diging another on right next to it. there is 18 lots and like 6 people dont ride. its a mile south of bayside. you cant get in unless you own a lot but if you want someone to ride with just leave your # and we will go ridin
Old     (tshmitty)      Join Date: Aug 2003       10-22-2003, 8:14 PM Reply   
I am really looking for lake front property. Something I can go out in the morning, get on my boat and ride before work and after. I am willing to make a 40-50 mile commute to Melbourne, so if anyone knows of nice area outside of Melbourne that would rock too! Is orlando really a two hour drive, or is it 45mins?

Thanks Lisa for all the information. Are most of the waterways polluted with gators and snakes? I HATE SNAKES!!! I don't know if I can handle the snakes. Lisa do you know if any private lakes?

Thanks,
Shmitty

Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-23-2003, 7:08 AM Reply   
The snakes are on or near the banks Shmitty.
And yes most all lakes here have poisonous snakes and most of them have at least a couple small gators (for the most part). The big boys are out on the unpopulated crap lakes and the rivers/canals, but they don't play with boats.
Orlando is like an hour drive. Plus or minus depending on traffic and how fast you drive.
I'm not familair with any private lakes in that area though. Might want to check with a realtor - here's one that advertises ski lakes:
http://www.centralfloridalakefront.com