Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 28, 2007

Old     (ramhouse)      Join Date: Apr 2004       09-10-2007, 12:20 AM Reply   
Looking to step up to newer boat. Been checking out '99 Super Sport/Air Nautique. Don't want to start a war like others. Just want feedback of existing owners, or anyone who rides behind one. My son wakeboards and i ride an air chair.
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-10-2007, 6:50 AM Reply   
Great boat. If it's big enough for your family, you wont be disapointed with the wake.
Old     (canucked)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-10-2007, 8:35 AM Reply   
I have an 01 Air and love it. beautiful wake with a bit of weight. runs perfect every time, and is comfortable for 6-8 people.

The only small issue is it sits lower than a lot of the new wakeboats so the nose is a bit easier to dip under (not an issue if you no how to drive and don't have thousands of lbs of weight in it)
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-10-2007, 9:36 AM Reply   
We got a supersport from 95... same hull, and its awesome, we add like 800 lbs in the rear, 6/700 in the front and its a massive wake...
best money ever spent...
Upload
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-10-2007, 11:39 AM Reply   
Great steep wake for experienced riders. A bit unforgiving for the newly anointed. Landing short is a beotch due to the table.
Old     (ramhouse)      Join Date: Apr 2004       09-10-2007, 10:01 PM Reply   
The one im looking at right now has a carb, not fule injected. At 290HP whats anyones opinion? That wake looks awsome, but looks wide.
Old    alanp            09-10-2007, 11:32 PM Reply   
hmm what happened to the efi?? not that a carbed motor wont work just fine just a little weird. anyway i run a 1995 and love it. i have about 2k in ballast and the wake is great.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-11-2007, 7:55 AM Reply   
yeah, our 95 is EFI too.... but its a solid boat, just make sure you get a 856 or 644 prop
Old     (1boarder_kevin)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-11-2007, 8:49 AM Reply   
Carbs can be a little funny sometimes, but on the good side, you can buy a rebuild kit for $50 and if rebuilt properly, should last many years without issue. If EFI goes out, you won't fix it for $50 and the average mechanic won't be able to fix it himself.
Old     (cadesun)      Join Date: May 2007 Location: Chicago       09-11-2007, 11:41 AM Reply   
I have a '98 SS (gt40 efi) and love it. The wake isn't as unforgiving as some people make it out to be. My wife is just learning jumps and does great with it. Many of my friends have also learned to jump and wake to wake behind it.

When my wife or a beginner is riding and sometimes when I ride we don't run any ballast. I can still do all my tricks (not that many) but my friends can still throw their flips easily. When we ballast it out do we put 2x400lbs sacks in the trunk and another 400 in the ski locker. Surf wake is great too.

Here is the wake w/ no ballast. My wife is 5'3" and we are probably going about 18mph (she is a chicken!)

Upload
Old     (nautiquesonly)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-13-2007, 8:39 PM Reply   
Richard,
I have a 2000 super air that is for sale. This boat has been my baby for the last five seasons. If you are interested check out my post on the forsale boards under nautiquesonly. If you are just wanting to know, the 210 or Supersport is a great boat. If it has ample space for you go for it. I am only selling mine because i got a new 236. I have always loved nautgiques and the SS or 210 has one of the sweetest wakes ever. The EFI GT 40 is a beast and has more torque than the newr excallibur. I have had my Super air for five yaers and have had no problems other than replacing a starter. you can't go wrong with the nautique. Dave
Old     (dizzyg)      Join Date: May 2005       09-14-2007, 3:54 PM Reply   
we ride a '97 super sport V-Drive all the time. That thing ROCKS! Good stock wake, even better with some ballast! I'm not sure about the '95 but I know the '97 was the same hull as the 210 until recently
Old     (timber)      Join Date: May 2004       09-15-2007, 10:10 AM Reply   
Just make sure you buy a V drive. You can't go wrong wit any Nautique. Good luck.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-15-2007, 11:17 AM Reply   
Richard: Just to clear things up and set the record straight Newer Direct Drive Nautiques are called. ("AIR NAUTIQUE's or 216's"= a Direct Drive)
Older V drive Nautiques are called ("SUPER SPORT= V-drive) Older Direct Drive Nautiques are called ("Sport Nautiques"=Direct Drive) Newer V- Drive Nautiqes are called ("SUPER AIR's or 210's= a V drive)

I have a Air Nautique or 216 a Direct Drive.
The differance between the V-drive and Direct drive in my year of boat (2002) is Storage room. The V drive has more storage. The Wakeboard wake. The V drive has a much larger wakeboard wake. Freeboard. The V drive has a taller freeboard and sits a few inches higher in the water. IMO its easyer to drive because newbiee's wont swamp or dip the front end as easy as on a Direct Drive.

Now for the Pro's IMO You have way more leg room in the Direct Drive. You have the ability to have a relitavly small ski wake and SKI behind the Direct drive. You can always add weight and make the wake as big as a Super Air but you can NEVER make a Super Airs wake small. IMO the Direct drive rides better in rough watter than the V drive.

This pretty much summ's it up for me. If you are never gonna Ski and pretty much wakeboard all the time the get a Super Air. If you have a Large family with lots of gear get the Super Air. If your family is small (kid's) and you Ski and or want your kids to ski. Then you should think about the AIR. If I had to do it all over again. I might think about about a V drive. Im in the minorty I love my Direct drive. It works great for how I use it. The only thing I would change or Add would be a huge under the floor balast system KGB or Pure vert style system. IMO If I could add 1000 lbs of under floor balast to my boat it would be the PERFICT boat. I took the stock balast tanks out of my boat so I could have more room. The stock balast was like 450 lbs and took up lots or room.
I throw a 600 LB sack in the rear trunk and the wake is the same or better than the stock. Its a pain in the butt Balast bags and pump's. Like I said I would love to add a under floor ballast system If I thought I could do it with out destroying the hulls integrety.

Upload