Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old     (cassidyb)      Join Date: Feb 2012       03-15-2013, 8:27 PM Reply   
quick info, been boating my whole life, mostly slalom skiing growing up but have since started boarding and surfing. currently own a 97 prostar 205. it does the job for slalom/boarding/surfing but inst necessarily great at any particular aspect except for the wakeboard wake, and is a huge pain to fill/drain/move ballast.
looking to upgrade to a new boat after this summer. so far the main contenders are a 2013 axis a20/a22 or (used) tige RZR/R20 w/convex vx. looking to be in the $60k price range, and main requirements are completely automated/hidden ballast with the biggest surf wave I can get while still maintaining an ability to slalom (wakeboard wake is not a huge consideration as im very much an intermediate boarder and most offerings out there now will suffice.)
ive been to the dealerships and crawled around the axis and tige, am a huge fan of the axis in almost every aspect except for the dash material, the plastic just seemed "cheap". the bow area seating and chillax seating are awesome, i really like the simple dash and toggles, pnp ballast, basically everything about the boat except for maybe its reputation for not making the biggest surf wave.
the tige was not quite what i was expecting in terms of "higher degree fit and finish", it was better than the axis but not what id expect for an $80k boat, lots of chromed and flaked plastic, just screamed cheesy to me. the tige touch was really cool but i just see that as something else to break. also it was quite a bit more cramped with the narrower beam, most noticeably in the bow. i am probably most impressed with the massive surf wave ive heard this thing is capable of putting out.
i will be demoing all three this summer as soon as the water warms up here in denver but i was wondering if you all have any words of wisdom or a boat i may have missed (ive thought about the mb B52 but i think the wake wont get small enough for decent slalom.) thanks in advance