Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 22, 2007

Old     (wakeman7)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-15-2007, 1:36 PM Reply   
How come he always does 180s right before he jumps the wake
Old     (tings00)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-15-2007, 2:28 PM Reply   
because he saw parks do it in a video and thought it looked cool but he didn't notice its annoying after more then 2 times.
Old     (blind)      Join Date: Jun 2006       03-15-2007, 2:35 PM Reply   
ha,ha I was going to say the same thing!
Old     (wakeman7)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-15-2007, 2:36 PM Reply   
yeah he does that pretty much every time and it annoys me. the first 1 or 2 look ok but then it just gets annoying
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       03-15-2007, 2:36 PM Reply   
Haha! Nice replies. I agree, it's cool to do maybe once but to each his own.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-15-2007, 3:23 PM Reply   
I cannot believe Alliance got a pic of him upside down, that blew my mind, lol.
Old     (lastemperor)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-15-2007, 4:23 PM Reply   
It's similar to buttering before you hit a jump on a snowboard. Snowboarding is why he spins so much, too. It's all personal preference and style--I like it, personally. Either way, something tells me he's not trying to copy Parks...
Old     (jrad)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-17-2007, 2:33 PM Reply   
hey man, to me it just looks like he's having a good time. if he wants to flip the board around cutting into the wake, then right on. collin's style is up at the top in the industry, and its apparent he's always stoked to be riding!
Old     (clay_fraley)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-17-2007, 4:12 PM Reply   
I agree he looks like hes havin fun but would he even be considered a pro?
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-17-2007, 4:23 PM Reply   
I really dont understand why people dont have more respect for this guy. I would like to see those talking ish throw one of those butters into a bs 3 and make it look as good as he does. I have the up most respect for that guy; he rides how he wants to ride regardless of "whats cool" or not. You can tell that he truly rides for himself.

Clay, what does it matter what his "title" is. He rips hard, and is doing what everyone strives for: wakeboarding as much as possible.

I wonder where "ski-boarding" would be today if it wasnt for people like Colin, Thomas H, Nelson, Randy, Josh S. and others who basically gave the finger to the entire ski-boarding comp industry back when the only guy who was making a living free-riding was Byerly (and maybe Randy). I see that whole "crew" (which I left many names out of) as a founding backbone of wakeboarding and especially freeriding.
Old     (wakeman7)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-17-2007, 6:14 PM Reply   
No i am not dogging on him he rides great. I was just wondering what that was about. I thoutght it would mess up your line tention or speed.
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-17-2007, 6:59 PM Reply   
i tried one of those today actually, and its alot harder than it looks. however no one can beat parks at it cus parks spins one way cuting in, the other in the air lands wrapped and bounces the landing back to revert!
Old     (quickpilot1010)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-17-2007, 7:13 PM Reply   
i may be wrong but i dont think he did one invert in his video section for innuendo
Old     (kaesen)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-17-2007, 11:06 PM Reply   
collin is the man. i love tic tocks before the wake. i do them all the time. ahaha. its fun. its all about having a good time and having your own style (wich collin has a lot of) weather your a pro or not... what can you even consider a pro in this sport anymore anyways??hahaha all i know is collin is B-A.
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-17-2007, 11:18 PM Reply   
oh and when i said it was tricky i meant to olly one, not to tic tock one. tic tocking is easy, ollying it is hard
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-17-2007, 11:20 PM Reply   
Colin has his niche in the sport and there are a lot of people that look to his style as inspiration.

Pro? ABSOLUTELY! The guy has been doing BS 5s and some other very technical and grabbed spins since way back. If you want to learn to ride smooth and in control, watch Colin's sections, we would all be better for it to ride a bit like him.
Old     (j3t_m3ch)      Join Date: Jun 2006       03-18-2007, 1:46 AM Reply   
He is a B-A rider like most have mentioned but ALOT of his parts in flicks....all he does is spin. I can't remember seeing him do anything but that. I'm not talking trash but I can see what people were talking about. I would be nice to see him through some verts or anything and mix it up.....but he does make spins look easier then walking.
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-18-2007, 7:15 AM Reply   
If you slow down his parts, you will see spin and grab variations that you don't see anyone else doing. Unfortunately it takes the right eye to see it. He has always been and will always be one of my top favorite riders to watch.
Old     (rmcronin)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-18-2007, 8:16 AM Reply   
For years he's been working on making wakeboarding more enjoyable for the masses by consciously not doing inverts. He has been seen doing some before, I believe I remember a mute roll to revert in Monkey on a String? The average Joe has no idea what one invert is compared to the next with all the rediculous tech variations some can do. More power to him, just wish I had half his style and spins.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       03-18-2007, 8:38 AM Reply   
Colin has one of the most unique styles in wakeboarding dont hate on him cause he is better than you! Dont be jealous that he can cut into a Dub toeside switch to heelside right at the wake and sick a perfect double grabbed backside 7. He has done great things for this sport; he's one of the O.G.'s still holding it down. I am honored to be part of a team that includes such a talented rider as Colin.

all right nuff said
Old     (wakeman7)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-18-2007, 10:40 AM Reply   
I am not hating he is an awsome rider. Not my favorite but he is really good.
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-18-2007, 4:23 PM Reply   
I dont know how he does it, but I think it was in Innuendo where he stops his 3 rotation, then continues it at the apex of his jump, landing perfectly.

So smooth!
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-18-2007, 7:14 PM Reply   
I pulled Colin & Alex last summer in a early morning session at a wakeboard camp they were both coaching at and Colin was doing his thing busting out sick frontside / backside spins switch & regular and everything grabbed, then in the middle if his set he bust out 3 inverts in a row all grabed. I have him ride many times over the years and never saw him do one. When he got back in the boat I asked him about it, he just smiled and said, I can do all those flip trick, I just choose not to. Good enough for me.
Old     (j3t_m3ch)      Join Date: Jun 2006       03-18-2007, 8:52 PM Reply   
He is by far the best at spins and grab combo's....and the most consistant too. I gotta couple flicks with him where he went back and forth, toeside/heelside ...whatever...doing 5's, 7's and didn't even land sketchy for a bunch of passes. no one is hating on him - everyone knows he's one of sickest riders. IMO it just would've been nice seen him stick some verts as well - in his vid's.
Old     (oopsds92)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-19-2007, 12:53 PM Reply   
speakin of collin wright, wat kinda board is he riding these days?
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-19-2007, 2:01 PM Reply   
"How come he always does 180s right before he jumps the wake"

Because he can. He is one of the first to put "West Coast" style on the map. His style is not necessarily my favorite, but I still like it a lot.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       03-19-2007, 2:13 PM Reply   
Ok I just went to youtube and typed in his name. Watched him tearing it up and yup the majority of times he flipped his board into a 180 before his took off but I thought it looked cool. Not sure anyone on this site can rip like that so I don't see what the problem is. I wilsh I was a 1/4 as good as that guy. How old is he by the way?
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       03-19-2007, 2:14 PM Reply   
he's a great rider and doesn't get the respect he deserves IMO. pro for sure. throws some tech stuff on the most basic spins and makes it look like a walk in the park. STEEZE. and its nice to see riders that don't worry about the hype and ride for themselves.
Old     (sydwayz)      Join Date: Mar 2003       03-19-2007, 3:29 PM Reply   
Collin is riding Slingshot. I asked him one time why he didn't do inverts. That was the last time I asked him. He threw down a inverted fashion air. And the "180" before the wake better known as a Tik-Tok is mad style in my book. I agree, Collin can and does do inverts but chooses style. Just like the Vandall goes huge into the flats, because he can.
Old     (clay_fraley)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-20-2007, 6:06 PM Reply   
-Matt- I wasnt hatin on Colin, he has sick style I was just wondering if he was pro, I wasnt sayin the title made any differance.
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       03-20-2007, 6:19 PM Reply   
Collin Wright was actually grabbing spins way back in the day when most pros were slapping...his two sections in Westside were/are absolutely ridiculous for their time when it comes to spinning and grabbing. One of the things that made those parts so great (it wasn't the constant NWA, non-PG language) was the flow...the tricks weren't cut and pasted together, they showed him linking trick to trick to trick, most more tech and difficult (switch, double grab, grab with off hand, etc.) than meets the eye. The other section is a double up section with another DU rider (Mormon kid, can't remember his name off hand), both just killing it but especially Collin.

In my opinion, his riding hasn't progressed much recently frin what I've seen in DS2 and Pull and that only goes to show how far ahead of his time he was back in the day. He helped take wakeboarding a new and better direction like the pioneers before him. He certainly helped shape in my mind what was possible on a wakeboard in much the same way the good sections from Hit It/Spray/Mayday did.
Old     (wakezone)      Join Date: Oct 2001       03-20-2007, 8:46 PM Reply   
I haven’t posted on ww in a min – so what up? It’s called style boys; maybe you have been to the westsiiide? It is kind of hard to hold myself back when people can’t spell a pioneer of the sports name correctly before posting. Please have some respect for one of the original founders of the sport of wakeboarding –Just because c dub doesn’t throw several variations of the same few flips like 90% of the riders out there dosn't mean his is not a pro! It means he is an innovator in the sport who rides for himself! He is in pretty much every mag every month since wakeboarding began and every photographer and videographer wants to shoot him! Also he hosts and is featured in many episodes of Pull and he actually grabs everything more than once and does it with more style than just about anyone is the sport. Oh yeah, anyone who has ever ridden with him knows that he flips plenty. Check out these pics of c dub from the wakesites photo shoot last fall! http://www.wakesites.com/rider_photos.php?rider=ws%20friends&gallery=c%20du b&photo=1173717191&pic=0#photoAnchor
Also c dub is featured in Over-Flo Films latest flick AUTHENTIC that can be found in the wakesites blog - http://www.wakesites.com/word/
Everyone wants this guy on their team!
Upload
Old     (westcoastripper)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-22-2007, 12:17 PM Reply   
what he does before he hits the wake is called a hop skotch and when you hope out of a trick when you land is called a tic-tac