Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 24, 2008

Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       03-19-2008, 3:01 PM Reply   
I may be looking into installing a flow gauge this summer. I was wondering if anyone else has one, has installed one, or will install one. My fuel gauge never seems to work right and I've run out of gas a few times, it'll also help me get the boat buds to pony up the cash as they'll see the real world numbers. It'll also help me track my fuel costs and budget accordingly, check for good cruising speeds and gauge usage so I don't run out! Probably won't like everything I see, but it'll ensure equality when people come to paying up, I am just starting a career and I am not going to float $4+ gallon gas for my friends... Any ideas or anybody do this yet?
Old     (flackpack)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-19-2008, 3:05 PM Reply   
Go to the tige owners web site. You can do a search in there. Several of the members added fuel flow monitors to replace the poor readings they were getting from their gas gauges on the dash.

From what I remember, everyone who put one in their boat really liked them.
Old     (olskooltige)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-19-2008, 3:42 PM Reply   
I have one and it is one of the best additions I have made.
Old     (siuski)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-20-2008, 6:36 AM Reply   
I was going to do this a few years ago, but couldn't figure out how to get around the return line issue...since there is one line going to the motor, and a line going back to the tank for unused fuel, how do you account for that?
Old     (olskooltige)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-20-2008, 8:55 AM Reply   
Not sure what you are talking about, but the way these usually install is to cut the flexible tank to filter hose (filter to engine is usually stainless), add an inline filter, then the fuel flow. The longest part of the install is routing the wire to the instrument panel.
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-20-2008, 10:51 AM Reply   
any more details on this,pics etc would be helpful..thanks
Old     (siuski)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-20-2008, 11:59 AM Reply   
Steve-when I was doing research, most of the models were for carburated engines. EFI controlled systems typically have two fuel lines from the tank, supply and return. A gm EFI fuel pump provides fuel at a fairly constant pressure, however, when that fuel isn't needed (lower than WOT) it has to go somewhere and it is returned to the tank. I haven't looked into them recently, but those gages didn't have any provisions to measure the fuel that was returned to the tank and subtracted from the supply sending unit, thus the measurement would be off a great deal. If they have newer models, let me know as I'd like one.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       03-20-2008, 12:00 PM Reply   
pwork, I don't think my boat has a return line even though it is EFI... some of them do come with sensors, or have an option to buy extra sensors to put in the return line... I am thinking of going with a faria gauge, cheap (220ish I think) and it matches the rest of the gauges in the Tige`. What brand has anyone used, is there one recommended over another. I know Livorsi makes outstanding gauges, but they are $$$
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       03-20-2008, 12:02 PM Reply   
I could be wrong... haven't looked at my fuel system in depth on return lines etc, but they do have newer models that subtract the fuel going back to the tank.
Old     (olskooltige)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-20-2008, 1:14 PM Reply   
I have a Faria. It is the one on the right side. Only way to mess it up is to not reset it when adding fuel.

Upload
Old     (siuski)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-20-2008, 2:12 PM Reply   
I like the looks of that gage Steve. I did a brief search for some EFI fuel flow meters, but couldn't come up with anything definitive regarding compatibility. If anyone come across anything let us know!
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-21-2008, 7:40 AM Reply   
are you talking about the regular guage on ther right that says fuel or the top right that looks like a PP??

i did a quick google and i saw this ,is this what you guys are talking about?

http://www.livorsi.com/catalog/fuel_flow.htm
Old     (olskooltige)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-21-2008, 11:21 AM Reply   
The one on the right with a square screen and the up down arrows.
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-21-2008, 3:06 PM Reply   
wow 200-600 bucks for a flow guage ??why not save the cash for hmm lets see, gas!???

unless your regualr guage is so far off and your memory is that bad on knowing when you need gas and how much is put in then im not really seeing why you need this flow guage??

if you want your friends to pay for gas and see what it cost to fill up go to the gas staion and fill up all the way..then go ride and take all your buds back to the gas station and fill up..when you get the receipt and bill it will have the gallons and cost and divide this amongst your buds evenly..do this a few times and they will understand the cost and just have that amount with them everytime..
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       03-22-2008, 12:56 PM Reply   
Good thoughts bill, and I've considered them all and this gauge is just a thought. I don't run out of gas that much, but being that I live on a lake and can my gas and the boat only comes out of the water for oil changes and a wash and wax once in a while, tracking gas and gas use through different activities and people is difficult, it could be done and should... but this would also work. For instance, my dad had my sisters out cruising around tubing one weekend and the next I went to take the boat. Filled the sacs, dropped 18 gallons in it... 3 cans and started riding, I figure I burn 5-6/hr but not sure, well I ran out a lil after 3 hrs, which means my dad was on the brink of running out as well and we both had no idea. I was just looking to see who had one, which model they chose and how the install went. Its also difficult to gauge costs as the boat 'buds' don't always see them or the true amount of gas used every time as each day is different length/amnt of runs, all different things to consider, not to mention when the boat says 1/4 tank its somewhere between a 1/2 and empty