Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (brian_young)      Join Date: Dec 2003       01-03-2010, 7:33 PM Reply   
Anybody have any reviews of how well wakemakers.com piggyback system works? It looks a very easy upgrade. I’m thinking about adding the 400 lbs to each side of my ’08 VLX.

Also, would a 750 up in the bow, or walkway be the right amount of weight to compensate the added weight in the rear? I’ve been ridding it with the stock 1250 plus the wedge since I’ve got it, but think it is time to turn it up a notch this coming season.
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-03-2010, 7:51 PM Reply   
No reviews on that system, but my buddy had that same boat with an incredible wake.

No wedge.
full stock ballast (1250 lbs)
additional 1200 in the bow
additional 800 in the rear (400 in each locker)

Whatever you add to the rear, add ATLEAST the same amount to the bow. I'd say go with the 400's, but find a way to put 1000 more in the bow. this will give you an incredible wake, and with all that bow weight, it will help keep the wake firm and clean should you choose to add the wedge.

One day the manual wedge came down and locked into place while we were riding, it made the wake really steep... not bigger, just steeper.

Have fun... great boat.
Old     (tazz3069)      Join Date: Aug 2008       01-04-2010, 6:09 PM Reply   
Avoid using them. Their customer service really sucks. I had ordered items in the past and never received them. I finally got my money back after several excuses.
Old     (zorro)      Join Date: Jan 2005       01-05-2010, 3:48 AM Reply   
My opinion is different. I bought a complete system from them and they were very helpful as well as quick to ship the items.
By the way, the system works very well and as Brian said it is a really easy upgrade.
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-05-2010, 7:32 AM Reply   
i haven't bought from them, but i did ping them to ask a few questions. the guy was responsive and super helpful.
Old     (brian_young)      Join Date: Dec 2003       01-05-2010, 10:14 AM Reply   
Luca,
Are you using their piggyback system, or a Flyhigh system specifically for your boat? I'm concerned on how well the piggyback fills and empties the sacs.

Looks, like the customer service is getting mixed reviews. Does anybody else make a similar system to add onto the ballast?

(Message edited by Brian Young on January 05, 2010)
Old     (zorro)      Join Date: Jan 2005       01-05-2010, 10:26 AM Reply   
Brian,
I have a 2002 Mastercraft Xstar and I bought two rear sacs, one bow sac and all the fittings and hose to fill and empty the sacs with the existing Jabsco reversible pumps.
Thus I am using their piggyback system.
In any case you can choose the sacs you want and the respective fittings. Wakemakers will help you to choose the best arrangement for your boat.
No problem at all. The system works well.
I have connected the rear ballast tanks (factory tanks) in parallel to the new rear sacs.
The bow sac is instead connected in parallel to the locker factory sac.
Obviously it takes more time than before to fill all the sacs, but I am satisfied. A few minutes more do not make the difference, at least for me.
Should I make any change then I would add a further Jabsco pump to fill the bow sac independently. I have a spare Jabsco but for the time being I do not want to spend more time with the ballast, I prefer to use my time to ride.
Old     (brian_young)      Join Date: Dec 2003       01-05-2010, 10:37 AM Reply   
Luca,
Thanks for the quick feedback.

I think I'll give it a try. I like the added convenience of simply ordering a package with all the needed fittings, than to piece one together from Flyhigh's catalog.
Old     (bboozer)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-20-2010, 8:59 AM Reply   
If you do this, please post your review back on here. I have been thinking about doing this as well, but yet to pull the trigger, and I like the idea of having everything that you need and not have to make a few extra trips to the hardware store or what not.
Old     (spencerwm)      Join Date: Feb 2009       01-20-2010, 10:32 AM Reply   
Brian,
The system works and it is easy to install but I am not going to tell you that it is the best kit available. Bakes makes an awesome system as well that uses another pump to drain but it is more expensive and a little harder to install. What we have found is that for most of our customers the piggyback is what they are looking for in terms of benefits for total dollars spent. Our system is similar to the rear tank ballast add on that Axis is using this year.

Mark,
I am sorry we did not handle your order in a way that made you want to come back to Wakemakers. I remember the order because you were one of three customers waiting on those 3/4" vented loops. We ran out and could not get any from our supplier for about a month. My communication should have been better. For that I apologize.

Thanks,
Spencer