Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       04-18-2007, 9:54 AM Reply   
a cc 2001 doesn't seem like it would lend itself to surfing very well. can you build a ridable wave behind one?
Old     (nickypoo)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-18-2007, 1:05 PM Reply   
I know you can. I don't really know what shape it will end up having, but I'm sure you can get something out of it. I've seen some guys out trying, but I didn't get a chance to talk to them about it. Looked to have plenty of size but unfortunately there were no brains in the boat as they were driving around in 50 yard circles around 15 mph.

(Message edited by Nickypoo on April 18, 2007)
Old     (djmann270)      Join Date: Apr 2004       04-21-2007, 11:53 AM Reply   
Oh yeah it can. You need to load 500-750 pounds in the rear dead center. You will need anywhere from 350-500 on the side of choice. Then you need to take two sand bags and put them in the bow of the boat. The 2001 builds a very big wake, but it is short. The more weight you put up front the longer the wave will be. The only problem with the 2001 is you need to slow down big time when you turn. I know this b/c that is what we used to have. If you have any more ?'s about that boat I might be able to help you, D-Mann
Old     (froese)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-23-2007, 3:52 PM Reply   
David - we loaded mine (see profile) with 750 in the back (centered) and 800 on the side (shifted toward the rear). Like you said, the sweet spot was very close to the boat (and very short). It sounds like I need to shift some of that weight up front. I already have a good bit in the bow (with no more room), but maybe moving one of the 3 sacs forward as far as possible would lengthen the wave... ??
Old     (nauty_tique)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-24-2007, 6:08 AM Reply   
I'm interested as well. We tried briefly last week, 4 people on the portside(800lbs roughly) counting the driver + 150lbs of ballast in the very back. Seemed like something to work with but nothing amazing. I assume the pocket is cleaner on the starboard side? We were on the port due to us all being regular footed.
Old     (froese)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-24-2007, 9:40 AM Reply   
Mike, with Nauty's being right-hand rotation, the pocket is supposedly cleaner on the starboard side. I haven't surfed the port side yet, though...

Seems like you need more weight. I had close to 2k in water, plus peeps and gear. the Rub rail on the weighted side was skimming the water. I just think I had too much towards the back and have heard that you can get the pocket to lengthen out by moving weight forward. I'll try it next time we surf and get some better pics... may be a while depending on work, though.
Old     (nauty_tique)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-24-2007, 11:02 AM Reply   
Cool deal, I've heard that about the prop and it makes since, Wave/wake does look cleaner on portside without weight/rider anyway. I'm working with roughly 4-500lbs of lead that's hidden and have a couple sac.s to play with as well. Hopefully going to play with it a little tomorrow.
Old     (nauty_tique)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-26-2007, 5:47 AM Reply   
Tried last night, aprox. 4-450lbs in lead, 1 500lbs fat sack and probably 800 lbs in people and it was ok, but nothing to brag about. Had probably 2-300lbs of lead under the rear seats, 500lbs fat sack in front of rear seat, 1-200lbs of lead under spotter seat, 1 person in spotters seat, one on portside rear seat, and 1 on gunnel, driver sitting in spotter seat as well and it still wasn't great. We moved all the people to starboard and tried it there, cleaned up quite a bit(prop rotation I'm sure) but still wasn't what we wanted. Need more weight but these narrow hulls just feel unsafe and awful listy with weight on just 1 side. It was fairly rough water to, I'll try again when it's slick hopefully.
Old     (froese)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-30-2007, 8:08 PM Reply   
Here's the port side surf wake. 750lbs in the back, centered. 550lbs. on the port side (by the motor cover). About 250lbs. front/port side.

It isn't fully weighted and I was the only person in the boat. We were toying with 9.5 - 11.5 mph... any speed suggestions? I was having a hard time with the sweet spot... I moved around - close to the swim platform and a little further back...

Upload