Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2006

Old     (etakk7)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-22-2006, 1:40 PM Reply   
Has anybody used the clear bra vinyl on their transom as an alternative to an extra piece of teak as a transom saver? There are people on ebay that will do a kit of the off brand vinyl for $25.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       08-22-2006, 2:22 PM Reply   
don't use the cheap stuff! I did and it looked like crap after about 3 weeks...turned yellow. Expect to pay $40-60 for the good 3M stuff. west marine sells transom shiled brand. guranteed not to yellow. Here's mine that yellowed. I spent about 6-7 hours taking it off last weekend.

Upload
Old     (etakk7)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-22-2006, 2:42 PM Reply   
6-7 hours? I assume it left behind all the adhesive?
Old    00wakesetter            08-22-2006, 3:13 PM Reply   
Board scratches on your transom adds character to your boat. Kinda like your wakeboard or skate!
Old     (dmontandon)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-23-2006, 7:43 AM Reply   
Erik - What color is your boats transom? They may have a color to match, in our case our transom is black so I used black vinyl... I'll try and get some pic's up soon.
Old     (committed)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-23-2006, 7:47 AM Reply   
I used: http://wakejunky.com/
The Grip is the sh_-t.
Old     (wakerider42)      Join Date: May 2002       08-23-2006, 8:12 AM Reply   
Does anybody know where to get the plastic strip that gets screwed down into the swim step? I had one on my other boat....I think that company No Flex made it (the same company that makes those Lokz bolts). I can't seem to find it anymore though. I liked it cuz it's clean and I hate the look of that gator grip stuff. Also don't really want to put a strip of teak there, but if nobody makes that plastic strip, I may have to.

Thanks,

Danny
Old    walt            08-23-2006, 8:40 AM Reply   
I've got the 3M on My boat and it looked great until it took a hit. It did it's job but doesn't look so great any more.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       08-23-2006, 8:56 AM Reply   
I have one of the 3M strips on order, but am thinking about not even using it. Most of the scratches should be able to be buffed out.
Old     (big_xstar)      Join Date: Nov 2004       08-23-2006, 9:21 AM Reply   
We have it on our transom. Have had it on ther for 2 years now with no fading whatsoever.
I do reccomend to have it double layered thought.
One hard nick with a board and it can cut thru it.
the newer x-stars have some sharp corners on the transom and that is where most of the damage to the 3m strip has occured.
Old     (etakk7)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-23-2006, 10:55 AM Reply   
Here's my issue now. My Transom just above the platform starts off white and then has a gold stripe followed by solid color forest green. I would need clear.

I've been thinking now about raising up the level of my platform 3 inches all the way up to the green however, because the platform sits a good 5 inches underwater when loaded (205V). So the problem I see in applying a clear bra is that I would have to apply it directly over the vinyl Mastercraft lettering, and I'm worried I would ruin that if I ever took off the clear bra. Anybody have experience with this?
Old     (leaks)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-23-2006, 11:51 AM Reply   
I originally had 3m "Clear Bra" material across the black transom of my Tige. It worked great for a while. It started to get cuts in it when scraped with boards, and then water would penetrate and cause bubbles. I took it all off, and put on a strip of Gator Grip. Looks great, easy to put on, and seems to be more durable. J.M.O. Good luck !
Old     (curtisco24)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-23-2006, 7:43 PM Reply   
Where can the 3m material be bought?
Old     (curtisco24)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-23-2006, 7:47 PM Reply   
where can the 3m be ordered?