Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (benbuchholz)      Join Date: Oct 2009       11-28-2010, 10:35 PM Reply   
Another forum I'm active on has one of these threads, I thought it'd be cool to see what the WW android users have for their custom phone set-ups. I'm pretty big into custom ROMs and themes for my phone, so mine doesn't look much like the typical HTC incredible setup. It's clean and simple, but I like it.

Share away! and bonus points to whoever can name the wallpaper girl

Homescreen:

Left:

Right:
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       11-29-2010, 12:43 PM Reply   
Angry Birds is the Shiznit.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-29-2010, 1:27 PM Reply   
Which Rom are you using? I run cyanogen and like it but I dig the look of yours. I don't think many people on here are rooted and have drocap to do screen shots.
Old     (benbuchholz)      Join Date: Oct 2009       11-29-2010, 1:46 PM Reply   
Hmm I thought i remembered a previous thread on here where a fair amount said they were rooted. Well maybe this will open the eyes of WW to rooting. I use Shootme for screenshots, its super easy. Run app, shake phone and it takes a screenshot. I'm using the RedemptIve revolution Rom, its a Incredible/Evo hybrid Rom by HeyItsLou on XDA. I love it, super smooth and the battery life is way better. I have a custom theme as well, if I remember right its called revolution theme from Mangup on XDA. The clock (maize), battery (battstatt), weather (beautiful widgets), and dock are all custom as well using launcher pro, instead of HTC sense. So flashing RedemptIve revolution won't really get you the look I have... since mines pretty custom. But I'd definitely recommend flashing RedemptIve revolution, you'll be glad you did. I've tried cyanogen, skyraider, and a few others, and this one is leaps and bounds better than the rest. Plus all versions of this rom from here on out don't require a data/cache wipe.

And yes, angry birds is definitely the shiznit.
Old     (kyle_m)      Join Date: Aug 2007       11-30-2010, 12:37 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbuchholz View Post

Share away! and bonus points to whoever can name the wallpaper girl
ben that is sierra from versaemerge, really pretty girl and her voice is amazing, but everytime i hear them i think of paramore
Old     (benbuchholz)      Join Date: Oct 2009       11-30-2010, 6:14 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_m View Post
ben that is sierra from versaemerge, really pretty girl and her voice is amazing, but everytime i hear them i think of paramore
Haha agreed, man is she good lookin. You're right on the paramore thing tho, they sound almost exactly alike. Versaemerge's acoustic stuff is really good too, like "fixed at zero". Easy guitar pieces too if you play.But even the acoustic, sounds just like paramore.
Old     (hms9805)      Join Date: Feb 2009       12-01-2010, 3:06 PM Reply   
Ben, can you please tell me where I can download your ROM at? I am definately out of the loop when it comes to custom themes and what not for my Incredible. But yours is killer. Thanks.
Old     (benbuchholz)      Join Date: Oct 2009       12-01-2010, 6:20 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by hms9805 View Post
Ben, can you please tell me where I can download your ROM at? I am definately out of the loop when it comes to custom themes and what not for my Incredible. But yours is killer. Thanks.
Here's the link. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=799679

Is your Inc already rooted? It'll need to be rooted before flashing a custom Rom. Make sure you read up and know what you're doing by rooting and flashing. If you don't know what you're doing you can really mess up your phone. If you need I can send you a root "cheat sheet". If you know what ur doing, flash away!

Oh, one more thing. That rom is the best out there in my opinion, and looks cool, but it's not going to look like my theme. Mines customized with a custom theme, launcher pro, custom widgets, etc. I can pm you on how to do that as well if needed.
Old     (hms9805)      Join Date: Feb 2009       12-02-2010, 6:55 AM Reply   
Ben, do you think you could email me so we could discuss further. I have not a clue about rooting or flashing. Hopefully this is something I can do myself. Thanks for your help. espear23@yahoo.com
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       12-03-2010, 10:39 AM Reply   
I am running Myns Warm 2 point 2 Release 4 on a rooted Sprint Evo 4g.

Angry Birds if fun.. Try the Angry Birds Seasons on Android. That one if just as fun as the original.

However, I like my background picture.
Attached Images

Last edited by dabell; 12-03-2010 at 10:45 AM.
Old     (benbuchholz)      Join Date: Oct 2009       12-03-2010, 11:22 AM Reply   
That background is always a funny one to see on ppls phones. I'll have to give angry birds seasons a try. Download a game called "numnom", it was dev'd by a member on the forum I got this thread Idea from. It's addictive and its becoming pretty popular.
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       12-03-2010, 12:43 PM Reply   
Gameloft is also offering Dungon Hunter for free.. Regularly $4.00

www.gameloft.com/free-hd-game
Old     (benbuchholz)      Join Date: Oct 2009       12-07-2010, 5:54 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by hms9805 View Post
Ben, do you think you could email me so we could discuss further. I have not a clue about rooting or flashing. Hopefully this is something I can do myself. Thanks for your help. espear23@yahoo.com
sorry I haven't gotten back to ya, been pretty busy between work and finals coming up.i should have some free time tonight to send you an email on all of this. Its really more our less just the lingo and process of how to do this that makes it seem difficult, its really not.

Anyone else with a rooted android get a hold of the new swype keyboard? It takes a bit of getting used to but once you do its pretty neat, and fast
Old     (wakeborder5)      Join Date: Jun 2002       12-07-2010, 5:38 PM Reply   
I'm busy with finals and what not as well, but as soon as I'm done with that next week, I could help anyone with rooting, etc.

Good sites to check rooting stuff at:

Androidforums.com

Droidforums.net

mydroidworld.com

What phone do you have Eric?
Old     (worththewake)      Join Date: Nov 2006       12-07-2010, 6:20 PM Reply   
So is it worth rooting an X? David, where can I get a background like that?

Chris
Old     (wakeborder5)      Join Date: Jun 2002       12-07-2010, 6:48 PM Reply   
Chris,

I would definintely say so. You can not run fully custom roms like on the Incredible, Evo and Droid 1 because the kernel or something or other is locked down.

You can however, still run ROMs that modify the motorola build pretty close from ground level. The benefits would be better battery life, better performance, themes, and free wi-fi tether.

If you like Davids background, a good app to have is Chrome to Phone that allows you to send links right to your phone from chrome and that way you could download his background on your phone.

If you want any help with your X Chris, let me know. With help, you will be fine and if anything for some reason does go wrong, you can sbf, which wipes your phone and reloads the stock software on like Motorola does when they receive bricked devices.
Old     (benbuchholz)      Join Date: Oct 2009       12-07-2010, 8:03 PM Reply   
Ray, I think the Droid X comes stock with Chrome to Phone. But I could be wrong. I just sent Eric an email regarding the rooting and flashing process, so Chris if you want that I can send it your way. Ray sounds like he knows the Droid X better than I do, so he may be of better help. Eric has an HTC Incredible so I wrote the tut for that, so it will be a bit different but it should get you the basics if you want it. I was going to post it on here but it's a borderline novel, so I'm not sure if I'm going to. Maybe I'll link it. If anyone else wants it (most helpful to people with HTC phones), let me know and I can email it to you.

The big news in the Android world is that Gingerbread, aka Android 2.3 was released today. I flashed the Gingerbread keyboard, and it is WAY better than the 2.2 keyboard. This one is multi-touch, and has autolearn on it, so that it learns its mistakes and doesn't repeat them. It's also more accurate and has better copy-paste functions. Highly suggest flashing it if you haven't...it can be found on XDA. The Swype keyboard is still my favorite though, you cant beat it's accuracy and speed, the creator definitely knows what he was doing (he's the founder of T9, so it's not really a surprise).

Another feature is the ability to set up a secure account with your credit card, and you can use NFC (near field communications) an example: you know those little "PayPass" sensors at the grocery store checkout? You'll be able to just wave your phone by the sensor, and it'll charge to your credit card. The update also includes new gyro-sensors, video-chat, VoIP support, and more. Here's the link to the article: http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/06/a...ts-called-out/
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       12-08-2010, 8:15 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by worththewake View Post
So is it worth rooting an X? David, where can I get a background like that?

Chris
Here you go Chris.

960 × 854 = Image <-- is the link. Right mouse click and save picture to location.

It's the closest I can find right now. Sorry.... If that size isn't good for you, go to google images and search for "Android eats apple wallpaper" and other formats.
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       12-08-2010, 8:26 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeborder5 View Post
I would definintely say so. You can not run fully custom roms like on the Incredible, Evo and Droid 1 because the kernel or something or other is locked down.
Incredible Custom ROMS: http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=638

Evo 4G Custom ROMS: http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=653

Droid 1 Custom ROMS: http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=670 (I think this is the original Droid)

There are many developers doing custom ROMS for various phones. There are some noobs that develop the ROMS and other more experenced developers creating ROMS. The best part is rooting the phone and trying them out. Once you get over the fear that you will brick the phone, you will install the ROM that you like best for sure. However, Chris, if you have the Incredible, I would highly suggest the Myn Warm ROM. The developer for that ROM started off with the original HTC Touch phone that was Windows 6.1 based and helped port the Android OS to it. He is very good at development and the creation of drivers if the device doesn't have them originally.
Old     (wakeborder5)      Join Date: Jun 2002       12-08-2010, 9:44 AM Reply   
Yeah, I didn't phrase my post well...i meant the X doesn't have fully custom roms, like the incredible, evo, etc. do, but it has roms that are still much, much better than stock. My suggestion for the X is Apex: http://androidforums.com/droid-x-all...12-7-10-a.html

Last edited by wakeborder5; 12-08-2010 at 9:47 AM.
Old     (worththewake)      Join Date: Nov 2006       12-08-2010, 6:22 PM Reply   
Thanks for the guidance! Ray and Ben I would like to pick your brain about this some more....do this compromise the phone in any way with safety? How user friendly is it? I've watched some vids and it seems fairly straight forwarded but then again, I'm no computer genius! If I do this, could you guys assist? Ben the email could be helpful.....

Chris
Old     (wakeborder5)      Join Date: Jun 2002       12-08-2010, 6:59 PM Reply   
Quote:
Thanks for the guidance! Ray and Ben I would like to pick your brain about this some more....do this compromise the phone in any way with safety? How user friendly is it? I've watched some vids and it seems fairly straight forwarded but then again, I'm no computer genius! If I do this, could you guys assist? Ben the email could be helpful.....

Chris
Rooting means getting access to the "root" of your phone that you are normally locked out of out as are programs you download. After you root, when a program wants to use the root access, you are prompted to grant permission. So in order for this to compromise safety, you would have to grant a malicious app root access.

Once you get a feel for the lingo, its fairly user-friendly. I could definitely walk you through stuff. Do you have gmail? That would probably be the easiest way to chat if you have that. My login there is markhamr5
Old     (dave23)      Join Date: Nov 2006       12-08-2010, 8:38 PM Reply   
If you are rooted check get the app Ad Free. It takes away ads in other apps, like the ad version of angry birds.
Old     (wakeborder5)      Join Date: Jun 2002       12-08-2010, 8:46 PM Reply   
You guys should check out this new music player called PowerAMP that has become really popular for its equalizer and for playing pretty much all file formats. The feature that I really like about it is when you unplug your headphones, like with the stock app, it stops the music, but conversely, when you plug your headphones back in, the music starts right back up. Awesome that the music starts back up and I don't have to play with it when getting in/out of the car and for when class starts/ends.
Old     (dave23)      Join Date: Nov 2006       12-09-2010, 8:43 AM Reply   
I'll second PowerAmp, it's a hell of a nice music player. I'd ditch my ipod and use my phone as a music player, but my phone's battery does not like music playing. Here's a good guide on how to speed up your phone, either rooted or not. If you are looking for a rom and your phone supports Cyanogen Mod I highly suggest looking into trying that rom out.

http://lifehacker.com/5709148/how-to...yline=true&s=i
Old     (benbuchholz)      Join Date: Oct 2009       12-09-2010, 11:56 AM Reply   
Chris, what phone do you have? Ray too, actually. I can help you out as well, but looks like ray already is so you should be good to go. I can still forward you that email though. If your or ray run into any problems I can definitely help out, preferably after next week three tests, two 12 page papers, and a ten minute presentation. Not looking forward to it. +1 for power amp, good player. 2.3 stock player will have these features I believe. Ray have you messed around much with custom themes, custom launchers, docks, etc? Or just custom roms
Old     (wakeborder5)      Join Date: Jun 2002       12-09-2010, 12:47 PM Reply   
Im on the X. Yeah, any guide or anything you have send his way to help him get a feel for everything and then I'd be happy to walk him through everything. I haven't done any theming myself, but the dev that makes the rom that I'm running has a few themes. One promising thing is Ultimate Droid, which was real popular on the D1, is beta testing for the X right now. I loaded it up briefly to check it out and it wasn't stable enough to run day-to-day yet but it had a lot of customization system- and theme-wise and had its own part built into the settings menu, which most of the roms for the X don't have yet. I run LauncherPro Plus because I love the calendar widget and then just have the 4 icons on my dock with secondary swipe actions.

Here's a picture of my homescreen.
Attached Images

Old     (worththewake)      Join Date: Nov 2006       12-09-2010, 8:04 PM Reply   
Ben, I have the X. Ray, that looks good! busy but good!
Old     (kraig)      Join Date: Dec 2002       12-29-2010, 6:18 PM Reply   
I'm loving seeing all the Android Love here on Wakeworld!

Droid X owner here.
Old     (benbuchholz)      Join Date: Oct 2009       01-10-2011, 3:45 PM Reply   
Been a while, latest homescreen:

But first, a story that just happened five minutes ago.

sitting in a coffee shop, I hear a kid behind me go to his friends "YES! I'm getting Froyo on my phone in a couple of weeks! It's the newest operating system for phones, android 2.2. and I'm getting it in a few weeks." I turned around and said excuse me, showed him my screensaver (the gingerbread android) and went, "Look at this little guy. His name is Gingerbread. also known as android 2.3. You're a little behind." His face......man it was funny.

Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-30-2011, 9:47 PM Reply   
Just picked up a HTC Inspire today. Will pick up a spare SD card and root it. Some of the Gingerbread stuff looks pretty cool, must have!
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       04-02-2011, 5:54 AM Reply   
Is your inspire running Gingerbread? I just picked up an inspire yesterday and its running 2.2? I'm coming from an iPhone, so I have a lot to learn about android. One thing that's bugging me is that I cannot connect to yahoo mail when on WiFi. It only connects over 3g?
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-02-2011, 7:33 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by nauty View Post
Is your inspire running Gingerbread? I just picked up an inspire yesterday and its running 2.2? I'm coming from an iPhone, so I have a lot to learn about android. One thing that's bugging me is that I cannot connect to yahoo mail when on WiFi. It only connects over 3g?

Not running Gingerbread just yet. I have created a Goldcard and in the process of rooting the phone this morning...

I don't use Yahoo mail, so I'm not sure there. I've not had any trouble with Hotmail, Gmail and Exchange though.
Old     (worththewake)      Join Date: Nov 2006       04-02-2011, 2:29 PM Reply   
I'm ready.... teach me how to get Gingerbread....
chris
btw; I have the X
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-03-2011, 9:44 AM Reply   
Got my HTS Inspired perma-rooted, SIM unlocked. goldcard, ROM'ed, running Gingerbread, back to modified ATnT ROM with a Telus audio kernel.... Bit of work though.

Copy of shots

Regarding rooting it, bit of a pain. The major things I ran into where:
Bad Goldcard. Very simple to create a new one and that solved my issue, but took me a while to figure out that it was the Goldcard blocking things.
Virus protection was blocking some files from unzipping. Had to find a second virus program running on my machine and kill it. I was using a work computer, tons of crap loaded on it.
Drivers, I had to get the correct drivers for the rooting process and copy them to the HTC folder on my machine. This is C:\Program Files\HTC\HTC Driver\Driver Files\Win7_x86 for me, I had installed HTC sense and the drivers are too new for what you need during rooting.

I basically followed this http://www.tiptz.com/2011/03/install...e.html?amp&amp There are many links on that page you'll need to follow for each major step.

I ran Gingerbread for a while, it's cool. But being new to Droid and wanting to figure things out App wise, I put a modified ROM back on. I like many of the Apps and Widgets that come with. As I figure out better ones via the Android Market I'm sure I'll go back to Gingerbread + Apps.

Regarding the Droid X, I'm new to Droid and only know the Inspire so far. This looks like a good place to start:
http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/28/d...ngerbread-2-3/
Old     (wakeborder5)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-03-2011, 2:01 PM Reply   
Quote:
I'm ready.... teach me how to get Gingerbread....
chris
btw; I have the X
I would wait for the gingerbread, Chris. I'm not that well versed on the happenings, but it seems like there is some weird stuff being said about the GB leak being tracked by vzw. I had already installed it before reading this and although I doubt it's true, I would wait. Even if thats not true, this is not the final version of GB so you'll want to upgrade again anyways when that comes out.

I would go ahead and root your phone and put a ROM on it (I suggest Apex or Liberty), which will get you much better battery life and performance. Out of the two, I would try Liberty first--it comes with an toolbox that allows a lot of customization and is really easy to use. If you have any questions or need any help getting started, let me know. It seems complicated but its pretty simple once you know what you're doing.
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-03-2011, 6:23 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeborder5 View Post
.... It seems complicated but its pretty simple once you know what you're doing.
Too true, I have fixed GPS issue today from my ROM change yesterday. Have done a lot more themes and now messing around with MIUI Gingerbread ROM. I've backed up everything from earlier today and will see how things go. I was kinda digging on using multiple launchers to get the UI to rapidly change from Work to Personal use. So far my Android experience is way more interesting than my WinPhone7 and iPhones.
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-04-2011, 8:46 PM Reply   
I start work in Xbox next week, so I figured I'd better get my phone looking like it belongs.

Quickly cranked out a WinPhone7/Xbox/Halo theme for my Inspire, couple of pics below, As I settle on the layout I think I'm come back and rename the titles in the .png's instead of using the launcher's title feature (it does not seem to like the 1x2 sized pics for adding titles too).

Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-05-2011, 6:46 AM Reply   
Looking good magic.
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-06-2011, 10:01 AM Reply   
I'm hooked. Put a different ROM on phone last night. Got my CPU to 1.6mhz and stable (1mhz is stock). tweaked my .build file settings for data too. Have seen over 3 mbps down load speeds when in ATnT's 3G+ (4G lite...) areas. My up load seems to be limited to 1.5 mbps regardless of 3G or 4G. I'm guessing that is an infrastructure deal with ATnT. But hey, 3+ down and 1.5 up on a device that can become a AP (Hotspot) without the silly ATnT tethering plan, all good.
Old     (zo1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-06-2011, 10:13 AM Reply   
Finally got a chance to Root and start playing last night. Time is at a premium with kiddo #3 being only 6 weeks old.

Super easy - Updated info and all you really need is to download here and follow the readme in the tar.

Current Home screen
Attached Images

Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       04-06-2011, 10:58 AM Reply   
For the Android experts out there, what are your opinions about anti-virus apps?

I've read a couple of things that say that anti-virus apps are not needed for Android phones so long as you are not downloading apps outside the Android Market, yet I see plenty of anti-virus apps available there? So what's the deal, are they needed or not? Do you run such a program on your phone and if so which one?
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-06-2011, 6:53 PM Reply   
I'm not worrying about anti-virus stuff for now, flashing the phone too often to worry... Doing an other flash right now.
Old     (JJ)      Join Date: Feb 2010       04-06-2011, 8:17 PM Reply   
Rooted my DX last night. Liberty it is for now
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-06-2011, 11:13 PM Reply   
I'm on my 4th ROM today... Thinking I'm going to settle in on the Cyanogen 7 for the Inspire at this point. I really like the MIUI one, but for the life of me I can not get the data download speeds to set correctly. Will open up the build.prop file in the CN7 ROM and see what the difference is to the MIUI one. I have been playing and playing with the values all day, but only seem to get fast down load speeds with certain ROMs regardless of the radio settings.
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-07-2011, 6:52 AM Reply   
I am not worried about anti-virus' either. i do run one but it's more for the "locate my phone" function than a virus. "Lookout" is what I use

I have been going back and forth between Myn's various HTC Evo's ROMS (Warm Z and Warm TwoPointTwo) I like the idea of the Warm Z with the sense 2.0 but I was having a few issues that I didn't take the time to resolve. Just don't have the patience at times. Right now, I am running Myn's Warm TwoPointTwo RL5 and things are very good. Battery and usage are good and the phone lasts the entire day with 50% still remaining

I tried CM7 and thought it was okay. I am a HTC Sense person and like the way they have layed the screens out. It's all preference.
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-11-2011, 1:32 PM Reply   
I've gone to the final CN7 HTC Inspire RC build just released yesterday, a slightly different kernel and Gingerbread radio. Pretty happy with things so far. Running a couple of different launchers set up differently (work/personal) and the device is very responsive. I've got my CPU set at 1.6 vs 1.0 for stock and no crashing.

I did manage to get it stuck in a bad state late last week. Clockwork recovery to the rescue and a good ROM back on in minutes.

I was on a Windows7 Phone before this. Miss two things on the WP7, Outlook and Xbox games. The Outlook integration on the WP7 phones is great. Xbox Live on them is very nice too.
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-15-2011, 8:46 AM Reply   
Current screen below, running MIUI Gingerbread beta ROM, Zeam luncher, Minimalist Text, and WP Clock. I'm still on my Xbox theme kick hence the colors and wallpaper.

Hacked my radio to enable faster download and upload speeds than what the stock ATnT radio provides. Getting 4mbps download speeds in areas where the infrastructure is built (TMO and Verizon can be faster, but I'm not on either of those carriers and 2+mbps on a cellphone if pretty fast). Think I'll tackle the HTC boot screen next and customize that with my own image.

Old     (benbuchholz)      Join Date: Oct 2009       05-04-2011, 11:28 AM Reply   
R.I.P. my HTC Incredible Was out riding the motorcycle and when I got home noticed I didn't have my phone. Pulled up Lookout on my computer, had it remotely turn on my GPS, and it showed the phone sitting in the middle of a highway intersection. Figured "eh this cant be good....." drove out there and found the phone sitting in the road. I was happy i found it until I turned the screen on and it looked like this:

So the good news, I went out to get a replacement Incredible and ended up picking up the HTC Thunderbolt I couldn't resist. This phone is ridiculous fast when it's on 4g LTE, but I'm right on the border of 4G coverage so its spotty as far as being on the 4G network. And the phone screen is HUGE. pretty nice. It's so weird running a stock phone....you don't realize how much extra you get when you root and flash ROMs until you're not able to! hopefully I'll have this one rooted and custom ROM pretty soon, the rooting just doesn't seem stable enough yet for my liking so I'm gonna wait a bit.

Some cool looking themes on here!
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-04-2011, 12:30 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbuchholz View Post
R.I.P. my HTC Incredible Was out riding the motorcycle and when I got home noticed I didn't have my phone. Pulled up Lookout on my computer, had it remotely turn on my GPS, and it showed the phone sitting in the middle of a highway intersection. Figured "eh this cant be good....." drove out there and found the phone sitting in the road. I was happy i found it until I turned the screen on and it looked like this:

So the good news, I went out to get a replacement Incredible and ended up picking up the HTC Thunderbolt I couldn't resist. This phone is ridiculous fast when it's on 4g LTE, but I'm right on the border of 4G coverage so its spotty as far as being on the 4G network. And the phone screen is HUGE. pretty nice. It's so weird running a stock phone....you don't realize how much extra you get when you root and flash ROMs until you're not able to! hopefully I'll have this one rooted and custom ROM pretty soon, the rooting just doesn't seem stable enough yet for my liking so I'm gonna wait a bit.

Some cool looking themes on here!
That sucks. Glad you are happy with the Incredible.

Funny about the home screens, mine's changed a few times since that last screen shot.

I also put a pre-release ATnT radio in my phone and modified the APN to get faster download speeds. Seeing 5mbps now in places. I've have to guess you getting faster than that with LTE coverage. Pretty crazy to think you can have a handheld device clocked at 1.5ghz or faster and on a network that fast.
Old     (benbuchholz)      Join Date: Oct 2009       05-04-2011, 12:37 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic View Post
That sucks. Glad you are happy with the Incredible.

Funny about the home screens, mine's changed a few times since that last screen shot.

I also put a pre-release ATnT radio in my phone and modified the APN to get faster download speeds. Seeing 5mbps now in places. I've have to guess you getting faster than that with LTE coverage. Pretty crazy to think you can have a handheld device clocked at 1.5ghz or faster and on a network that fast.
I'll be running SpeedTest this afternoon once I can get into solid 4g LTE territory, and I'll let ya know the results. I was on the veerrrryyyyyy outskirts of 4G coverage when it showed I was on 4G, and it was still pretty fast. Cant wait to see its speeds in actual coverage area.

You're right on about the homescreens, mine changed weekly with my Incredible, sometimes even more often. This stock HTC Sense homescreen is boring. I miss all of my root apps, ShootMe, Titanium, wifi tether, etc. And not to mention having to go back to HTC Sense on Froyo, after sitting with CM7 Gingerbread with a boosted EVO radio and kernel for so long, running the Honeycomb Tablet theme. Talk about downgrade!
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-04-2011, 1:50 PM Reply   
I'm running a Gingerbread based MIUI ROM using Zeam launcher on my Inspire right now, Been very happy with it. CM7 was not quite the right fit for me. MIUI + Zeam is very light and completely Sense-less and Bloatwear free. I don't like the stock iPhone look of MIUI, but like everything else about it.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-06-2011, 8:20 PM Reply   
pardon the n00b question, but how are you guys able to copy your droid desktop?
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-06-2011, 9:01 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakid View Post
pardon the n00b question, but how are you guys able to copy your droid desktop?
Depends...

With the ROM I like there is a shortcut to grab screen images built into it (much like iOS). There are some Aps in the market place that capture screen shots too. I believe your device needs root access to do this (not 100% sure any more since rooting my phone was the 1st thing I did to it).
Old     (irishrider92)      Join Date: Jun 2009       08-07-2011, 7:47 AM Reply   
Anyone know about gingerbread on the galaxy s 1?
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-08-2011, 7:39 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishrider92 View Post
Anyone know about gingerbread on the galaxy s 1?
Great resource is http://forum.xda-developers.com/

Find your device and start digging around the General and Developer's forums for it. You'll find general QnA stuff in both forums, but in the Developer's forum you'll find what's out there and how to install for your device.