Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old     (k9fxr)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-15-2008, 5:18 PM Reply   
What was the key thought that made this trick for you? And ...
Do you feel the trip flip like you do on the Tantrum?
Old     (focker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-16-2008, 11:12 AM Reply   
think of your shoulders as the trigger on a gun. You want to really 'cock' your shoulders back when you're edging into the wake. 95% of people who are close to landing this trick underrotate it and slide out on their butt. Chest up (IE not hunched over edging in), and shoulders back will allow you to really exaggerate the trip flip which will get you the rotation you need to successfully land this on your toeside edge.

Also, although I didn't do this and most people dont, learning this before a scarecrow is ideal and will help your fundamentals. Generally speaking those who learn front rolls first will learn 'crows in a fraction of the time compared to the other way around.
Old     (rourker)      Join Date: Jun 2006       09-20-2008, 6:44 AM Reply   
I can say that I'm experiencing exactly what you are describing, David. It's driving me crazy. I feel like if I keep the rope in tighter and keep my shoulder hunched over the board through the rotation that I'll land on edge. What ends up happening though is that by focusing on this, I don't get as great of pop and trip which doesn't leave me with the time to get around in the air.

I took some boat sets @ OWC and they emphasized pushing a lot more weight to the front foot at the top of the wake to get the pop, trip, and initiate the rotation. It seems to have helped a couple times, but the timing to this has been a challenge for me.

When you say, cock you shoulders back, are you saying to do this so you have more range of motion to huck the trick at the top of the wake?
Old     (k9fxr)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-22-2008, 4:21 AM Reply   
Anyone hyperflexing coming in, so they can stomp it off the wake? Or do you just start with a mild flex/1/2 seated position?
Old     (steve_jones)      Join Date: Jun 2006       10-06-2008, 8:41 PM Reply   
Yes, you should trip this just exactly like a Tantrum (except on your toeside). It's 100% in the take off and trip.

A- Most people try this by doing a front somersault and hucking their upper body into a flip. Most often, they come up short. Instead, try doing some front somersaults on the trampoline and lead the flip with just your feet. Try a few to figure it out and learn how to huck with your heels and feet. Once you understand this feeling (this is the toeside frontroll) add tucking your upper body up and crunching up. (You will rotate a whole lot faster so heads up.) This is overkill for the ts frontroll but you won't come up short if you throw it this way.

If you understand the difference in lower body flip/roll and an upper body flip/roll, you'll cut the learning curve in half. I am lazy and most often throw this entirely with my lower body. For Tootsie's use a little more upper body with a lower body takeoff.

B-Once you understand this, it's easy to take it to the water. Come in hot while standing tall, and do these 3 things at once: 1-drop your back hand, 2-square your shoulders up parallel to the wake, and 3-get on your heel edge aggressively (all while maintaining your tall posture) . Wait for the pop and then throw a "lower body" flip, leading the rotation with your feet, your heels, and the weight of the board. As you come around to land, look slightly in front of your lead foot for the water (tough to see on this one) and land while continuing to edge and maintain your momentum and direction. You could add having soft knees and really getting over your toes after your board makes contact again but most often, that comes natural.

Give it 3-5 tries. You'll get it.

If you are coming up short, you are most likely a) Not tripping correctly and/or b) Not staying tucked enough in the rotation and/or c) Not leading with your feet (doing a lower body flip), and/or d) Not standing tall at the take off.

I see mostly a and d.

Not tough to do, just tough to time the trip at first.
Old     (k9fxr)      Join Date: Jul 2005       01-25-2009, 10:56 AM Reply   
Havent seen your answer until now, sounds like great advice. Now just need spring to arrive.
Old     (rmack)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-19-2009, 9:53 AM Reply   
The best thing to do on a TSFR is watch me do it.
Old     (mofreestyle)      Join Date: Jan 2006       02-19-2009, 12:56 PM Reply   
Well lets see it.
Old     (rmack)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-19-2009, 4:25 PM Reply   
Robot has the video, I'll bet he's watching it right now
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-19-2009, 7:16 PM Reply   
Second what Steve says...Also the harder you load that line before the trip, the harder you trip and the higher you go (obviously). Some people come into the trick with a lot of speed but little line tension. If you load that line you get more pop and a better tripping effect.
Old     (drewproses)      Join Date: Oct 2008       03-12-2009, 4:37 PM Reply   
Go into the front roll with a trip flip edge, start wide and come into the wake with speed.
Make sure you focus on riding all of the way up the wake before initiating the flip.
Allow the very top of the wake to trip your feet under you, and at the same time throw your head and shoulders into a front flip motion.
I do not let go of my back hand until I know the initial rotation of the flip has started and I have completely released from the wake.
When you spot your landing, remember that you want to continue to edge out toe-side when you land, so get your shoulders over your knees.
Absorb the landing with your knees and ride away holding on with one hand.

Hope that helps...
Old     (lakemiltonwake08)      Join Date: Oct 2008       03-13-2009, 5:40 AM Reply   
Keep your back hand on as long as possible, probably try until halfway through the rotation and keep the handle in close to you. Think of it as the handle is a bar youre trying to jump over in polevaulting, You want to keep it low and rotate over top of it.