Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 28, 2007

Old     (chevboy171)      Join Date: Feb 2005       09-26-2007, 8:42 PM Reply   
I found what looked like a really good deal on a 1998 Air Nautique...$15,000. After i took it for a test drive, it had a few issues though. Is it normal for it to steer to one side if you let the steering wheel go? The wheel will turn to the left and progressively turn faster unless you stop it. I realize that there may be some natural pulling to one side because of engine torque but it didn't seem quite right.

The biggest problem with the boat was that the seller was EXTREMELY hesitant to tell me that the block had frozen last winter and that it had a new bottom end. I noticed all the gaskets were new and asked him about it several times over a 45 minute period and he kept on saying that the boat hadn't had any work done on it. I specifically asked him if there was any reason that there would be new manifold, head, and water pump gaskets and he told me "no". I asked him if he had detailed the motor and he said that the reason it was so clean is that it had never leaked. I finally told him that I was very interested in the boat but that it was very suspicious that the gaskets were all brand new even though it hadn't had any work done to it. At this point the guy tells me about the new bottom end.
The only reason I haven't bought the thing is because i'm VERY nervous that there are other issues that this guy hasn't told me about.

Anyways, i was just wanting to share my story and hope that some people with more experience than me might throw in some advice.

Thanks
Old     (chevboy171)      Join Date: Feb 2005       09-26-2007, 8:45 PM Reply   
forgot to mention that the perfect pass didn't work either. I have never used PP before, is there any trick to getting it to work or was this setup just broke/not hooked up? The owner claimed that his sons had been the only ones that used it and that he didn't know how to use it either.
Old    alanp            09-26-2007, 10:13 PM Reply   
perfect pass could be a number of things. all boats will steer from one side or the other. this is caused because the rudder is offset to the prop. totally normal. sounds like this guy is hiding something and i'd keep looking
Old     (dgunthert)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-27-2007, 9:36 AM Reply   
I'd be pretty damn nervous too, if it took that much for him to tell you about the new work. Did you call him on lying to you about having work done? What was his response? If you didn't, come right out and ask him why he lied to you?

There's really two possibilities here:

1 - The boat has several issues and he doesn't want to reveal one issue since it might lead to finding the others.
2 - The boat isn't all that bad, but the guy is desperate to get rid it and doesn't want to reveal anything that might screw up the deal.

If it turns out #2 is the answer, you that could be good for you. $15k for a 98 Nautique is pretty cheap if it's in good shape. I'd find the best boat mechanic you can and have them check it over top to bottom. It'll cost you $100 or so, but it'll be well worth it.
Old     (sanddragon2004)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-27-2007, 10:28 AM Reply   
if thats the nautique on craigslist in ca i would be too! that boat should be worth 20-25k

those are all thinges due to neglect! what else was neglected? honestly they are pretty simple things to work on so if the hull is good the shafts straight and tranny works i wouldnt be worried about the cracked block as long as a good mechanic fixed it.

get all the details. thats a good boat for the money!
Old     (sanddragon2004)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-27-2007, 10:31 AM Reply   
also dude this time of year boats are tough to sell. i have a 93 sport ive dropped down to 12k only selling cuz im getting married. otehrwise id keep her.

books at 14, but with winter coming the market is very niche only the wakeboarders and hardcore boaters are jumping up on this stuff.
Old     (chevboy171)      Join Date: Feb 2005       09-27-2007, 5:15 PM Reply   
His wife called today and apoligized over and over again about how sorry she was that they had seemed suspicious. She swore that they would disclose any information I asked for. She also said the price was negotiable! I'm gonna call the mechanic that did the work and get his input and have him (or another good mechanic) check it out as well. If all looks good, I'll be upgrading from an '89 bayliner to a '98 nautique...I wonder if i'll be able to tell a difference!!!
Old     (nasty530)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-27-2007, 5:25 PM Reply   
Don't purchase it just because your excited and it looks like your getting a good deal. This is the right time of year to get a deal on a boat. Take your time man
Old     (cadesun)      Join Date: May 2007 Location: Chicago       09-28-2007, 11:05 AM Reply   
Yikes, I would stay away from that one. It really pays to trust the person/dealer you buy your boat from.