Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 23, 2004

Old    simba            08-17-2004, 7:31 PM Reply   
Just curious, I hurt my lower back and it hurt bad to wakeboard so I changed to skyskin and it really doesnt bother my back at all(even doing all types of inverts ect).

Went back on the wakeboard (havnt been on it for 6 months or so) to test out my back and I can hardly walk today due to lower back pain. Anyone able to ride with a bad disc?
Old     (wakehype)      Join Date: Dec 2002       08-17-2004, 9:22 PM Reply   
My dad had one. The disc broke off and was penetrating his nerves. He had surgery to have it removed. If I were you I would get an MRI before trying to wakeboard. Take care, get better.
Old     (cinder1995)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-18-2004, 5:40 AM Reply   
I do.

Mine is from years of heavy squatting. It does bother me occasionally when I board. And when it does, i'm out of commission for a week or so. There's a wonder drug out there called Vioxx, it works on all kinds of aches and pains I have.

Old     (gwake)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-18-2004, 6:31 AM Reply   
My disc's are trashed in my lower ( L4 L5) area. My right leg and foot go numb when Im riding sometimes. It makes it hard to push down on that back foot... Oh well Live to ride ride to live.
Old     (wakehype)      Join Date: Dec 2002       08-18-2004, 3:27 PM Reply   
What's up. Hey greg that pain and numbness sounds like my dad. He had pains down his leg and sometimes numbness. I got in a car accident awhile ago (t-boned) and i saw it comming, tensed up (subconcious which is the worst think you can possibly do) and my back muscles give me problems every now and then.
Old    simba            08-18-2004, 3:31 PM Reply   
Got an MRI, thats how I know I have a bad disc. Greg do you get pain too or does it just go numb?

Eric, is that a pain med or anti inflamitory?
Old     (gwake)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-18-2004, 9:01 PM Reply   
Pain, hell yes. I try not to ride when it hurts real bad. Usually when I riding it starts to tingle then my foots asleep then my leg. Ive had 2 surgerys mri's milograms everything they can throw at me test wise. I dont want a nerve block so I just deal, w/it.
Old     (lives2wake)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-19-2004, 11:08 AM Reply   
I've had lower back pain every year except this one. My hips would get out of line (if that makes sense) and would cause me alot of lower back pain. After reading an article in WBM about binding placement I brought my bindings in closer together and it hasen't happened again. On the other hand, I haven't been riding as much as usual.
Old    bumersooner            08-20-2004, 11:07 AM Reply   
vioxx is a non-steroidal anti-inflam. Works pretty good. Does the herniated disk cause sciatic nerve pains down 1 or both of your legs? if so, I would talk to a orthopoedic dr that specializes in back problems. I ruptured the disk between L4-L5 in april and had to have surgury in June. Luckily I didnt have to have any kind of fusion, so I guess I got lucky there. My surgery was called a "Hemi-Laminectomy & Discectomy)
Old    simba            08-20-2004, 12:03 PM Reply   
Mine is between L4-L5 too and my pain is only like a 2-6 depending on the day mostly down in the 2 area if I dont do much, if I do too much gets in the 6 area. I do have a neurosurgeon I'm going to and he says I have a very grey area for back surgery and I'm going to wait a year or 2 to see if it heals on its own.

I'm kinda scared of surgery since if Im not working it too bad my pain level is pretty low although I am sick of not being able to do a lot.

How long did it take you guys to recover from surgery? Greg you cant get the nerve block if its the nerve going down the leg or you cant walk right?

Old    dbogart            08-20-2004, 12:16 PM Reply   
good god before surgery go see a chiropractic physician. we make people with these symptoms feel better everyday.
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       08-20-2004, 3:44 PM Reply   
I tore a disk back when I was 15. I've been wakeboarding for the past 12 years (I'm almost 30, yikes!), and it has gotten better each year. Physical therapy, sit ups, learning how to place your back in proper positiong all help. What helped me the most was getting back out and doing stuff. Perhaps it just hurt in the first run of the year sense. Give it another go in a few weeks and see if its better. Having that tingling feeling in your leg is no fun. Good luck.
Old    ag4ever            08-20-2004, 4:07 PM Reply   
This thread has struck a nerve with me

I was in an accident (truck changed lanes into me) about a month ago. I was in my F-250, and it took out my front driver's corner. I thought that with such a large truck I would be OK, I was wrong. I must have tensed up because I had just enough time before the impact to say, "Oh SHOOT!)."

Now I have had back pain in my L4 L5 region, and I have a disk that is slightly out of place in that same location. I can't sit for more than 30 minutes or I get pains in my leg (switches from side to side at times). I have not been on the boat for over two months now, and I am pissed.

I can't see how anybody would want to go boarding with this kind of pain. I also chair, but since mine flares up when sitting, that is out. Heck, I can't even sit in the truck long enough to get to the lake, let alone the ride in the boat on the lake.

Before this problem I did not understand the severity some people have with back pain. Now I am VERY simpthetic to people with back pain.

I would suggest getting the back pain under control before doing anything too severe. I was doing well in physical rehabilitation, untill last week when I had a "set back" now I am doing worse than before, and I think the disk has slippedsome more and is nicking a nerve. That is why I would sugest getting it taken care of before doing anything too agressive.

Either way, good luck, and have fun.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       08-20-2004, 8:11 PM Reply   
I had a disk slip to the point where I could not move off the ground. The worst pain I have had in my life (I have had three knee surguries). I still wakeboard but if the pain is at all bad I stop immediately. Then procede to take a Robaxin to keep the muscles around the L4&5 loose. My physical therapist has me lie down on my stomach and elbows to "Put the disk back in place". Do not do this without asking a professional, but it has helped me.

Seek proper treatment! I had Kaiser and they have screwed me many times, or at least tried. Be persistant and get the care you NEED! MRI is a must but they will not do it without persistance. Complain, complain, complain, until "Something" gets done about it.
Old    thegrapeguy            08-21-2004, 8:28 AM Reply   
I'm a 40 year old beginner when it comes to wakeboarding but I caught the bug and bought a board. Prior to this I wondered if my bulging disc in my lower back would be a factor. I also have degeneration common to someone of my age. As part of the therapy after a car accident I had a series of pain blocks which did nothing. Chiro has helped me the most. In preparing for this sport I did intense core strengthening and regular swimming. So far it's been good. I think for me easing into it is the way and continued core strengthening. Also up north here in Syracuse the water can be cold and that definitely affects the muscles so I try to wakeboard on warm days and warm up as well. With my problem what happens is I will just be doing something stupid like reaching over to flush a toilet and my back will spasm and lock up. When this happens I'm out for a week. Then when it calms down I have a chiro treatment and I'm running again. The drunk lady that hit my car also bought me a hot tub which is liquid gold for this type of problem. Either way lately when I have been carving turns and taking minor air I feel no pain.
Old    dbogart            08-21-2004, 9:27 AM Reply   
i was beginning to wonder if anybody actually used a chiropractor......amazing how many people dont know about it. trust me guys, before physical therapy, before the knife...just give a chiropractor a shot. all we do are backs fellas...
Old     (sup208)      Join Date: May 2004       08-21-2004, 9:34 AM Reply   
When i was sixteen, I broke my back. The disks between L3-L4-L5 were obliterated and L4 was cracked. I had to have all three vert fused together. I cannot bent over backwards like I used to and the occasional front face plant is a wake up call. I am 36 and wakeboard as often as I can
Old    simba            08-21-2004, 11:02 AM Reply   
David I'll try to get a referal for a chiropractor next time I see my doc, I want to try everything before surgery, hell I dont even want surgery.
Old    ag4ever            08-22-2004, 6:52 PM Reply   
My physical therapist also has me laying on my stomach, flat, after that is good, the go to elbowd, then to hands. All that is bending at the waist.

Be sure to get the best treatment you can.
Old     (cinder1995)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-23-2004, 5:25 AM Reply   
Robert

I feel your pain. Sitting causes me more main than anything else. I could run a marathon and be fine, but sit for an hour or two and be paralized. When I first posted, I hadn't had any pain in a couple of months. But last night I went to the last comic standing at our local improv and my back started to hurt about 20 mins into it.

And the wonder drug I previously mentioned is an anti-inflammatory.
Old    bumersooner            08-23-2004, 7:56 AM Reply   
I went to a chiro for 2 months before I went to the Orthopoedic Dr. Chiro may work for some people, but it sure as heck didnt work for me. The only thing it did for me was lighten my wallet by about $1,000.
Old    ag4ever            08-23-2004, 7:53 PM Reply   
Some ortos are better than others, some chiros are better than others, some rehabs are better than others, some neurologists are beter than others.

BTW, I am seeing a Neuro and a rehab for now.

Eric, I will ask about the Vioxx when i see the doc on wed. Right now I am on Bextra and Vicodin at times. I was on Skelaxin and the pain pills at one point. I think the Bextra is a little better than the Skelaxin. Maybee the Vioxx would be better, I don't know. All I know is when I need the pain pills I need two, then I feel like I am in outterspace.

I don't like it at all. Kinda like when you drink too much, and go to bed, but the world is spinning. So, you then throw that one leg down on the floor to stop the spinning.

Like I said it sucks.

Sorry for such a long side post.
Old    dbogart            08-24-2004, 12:13 PM Reply   
yeah chiro doesnt fix everybody, but it does work well with some people/conditions. like robert said, chiros like other docs can be really bad or really good. do your homework and ask friends/family/coworkers for a doc with a good reputation. best wishes, doc dave.
Old     (cinder1995)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-24-2004, 1:33 PM Reply   
Remember Vioxx doesn't "mask" the pain, it actually relieves the swelling, which is probably causing most of the pain.
Old    simba            08-24-2004, 2:41 PM Reply   
how does Vioxx compare to Motrin? thats what I take for anti inflamatory. Lortab/vicidon (same drug) does wonders for my back when it hurts and Doesnt give me any dizzy feeling, it actually makes me feel like I'm amping and need to run a mile or something.
Old    dbogart            08-24-2004, 3:23 PM Reply   
vioxx and motrin are both considered non-steroidal anti-inflammatorys. basically vioxx is a stronger rx based version of motrin. lortab/vicidon you should be careful with ron, it has hydrocodone in it which is known to be habit forming.