Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 06, 2008

Old     (salty87)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-09-2008, 11:46 AM Reply   
i didn't need a cover when the group buy was put together...need one now.

what's the verdict?
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-09-2008, 11:55 AM Reply   
If Cory has a template for your boat I would go with Evolution Covers.
Old     (insuranceman)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-09-2008, 12:00 PM Reply   
thru that.

in my experience, rankins customer service was horrible.

cory did a awesome job on mine when i had my supra.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       09-09-2008, 12:31 PM Reply   
My rankin is over 4 years old and is in perfect condition. I don't have experience with too many others, but the Rankins are nice.
Old    K.B.C.            09-09-2008, 12:54 PM Reply   
I have a Rankin, I've had no issues that require me to use the customer service, so I can't speak to that.My cover is over a year old now and still in perfect condition. Fits like a glove, I would definitely recommend them.
Old     (martinique)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-09-2008, 12:59 PM Reply   
I looked at the Rankin's but the lead time 4-6 weeks was too long so I went to the local canvas and tent shop and had a snap cover made with Sunbrella fabric in 1 day....highly recommend it, every one that rides with me comments on how easy it is to put on and take off. It is trailerable too!

Upload
Old     (jhgsupra)      Join Date: Mar 2006       09-09-2008, 1:10 PM Reply   
Concur with the Evolution cover recommendation. Cory put one together 2 years ago for my 03 SSV and it has worked out really well. We keep our boat moored for the entire summer and haven't had a problem to date. Money well spent.
Old     (wakemania)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-09-2008, 2:08 PM Reply   
AG, do you have a problem with water running down the windshield and getting into the bow sitting area? I have thought about going your route.
Old     (shesfearless)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-09-2008, 3:57 PM Reply   
Bought one and had it shipped to the dealer in Cali who was supposed to be flatbedding the boat up to Michigan... long story, but they trailered the boat (w/ cover). When it arrived - it was ripped where the tension cord wraps around the boat. (like friction caused it to rub). Not ideal, but bear in mind that was 3000 miles all at once, so probably "a lifetime" for most boats.

It also stretched so I use a pole in the back now so water doesn't pool. They didn't guarantee Sunbrella - they sometimes substitute with an equivalent... so that may be why it stretched.

Even with the issues - I can put my top on in half the time it takes for my brother to do our outboard top with the snaps, the Rankin fits well and all the seams/zippers are well made.

If I had it to do over, I might try an Evolution if price was comparable. Group buy was a good deal though.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-09-2008, 4:05 PM Reply   
Cory only uses Sunbrella from what I remember.
Old     (lakeski)      Join Date: Dec 2006       09-09-2008, 6:34 PM Reply   
Pros: Nice cover. Great price, the cost of the Rankin as part of the group buy was $200 below Evolution's quote.

Cons: Sub-par customer service. The group buy promised delivery in about 6 weeks. I ordered in March and received my cover just before the 4th of July. I had to call them several times. Each time they would say that I'd receive it by such and such a date and each time they'd miss their own revised deadline. That's poor business. They should be up front with their customers and say that it will take 3 months (or whatever their backlog is) to deliver.

(Message edited by lakeski on September 09, 2008)
Old    alanp            09-09-2008, 6:47 PM Reply   
they sent me the wrong color, took forever to get the cover to me(see post above), arent returning phone calls. ive been working on trying to resolve the issue for months. very displeased
Old     (martinique)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-09-2008, 7:35 PM Reply   
wakemania...no problem with water running down it been thru several monsoons and no leeks. the cover is very tight fitting
Old     (riverdog)      Join Date: Dec 2004       09-09-2008, 9:46 PM Reply   
Customer service is bad at Rankin. First they sent wrong color. Then wrong size. Then they wouldn't respond at all. Never ever got right cover and have since sold the boat. Do not recomend Rankin to anyone even though covers are nice.
Old     (phenom_1819)      Join Date: Jan 2008       09-09-2008, 10:13 PM Reply   
Rankin covers are very nice. The quality went downhill for a while due to one person that was sewing for them at a satellite location. That person who was fired several months back. I have a cover that proves their quality is back -- I challenged them... and Pat cut me a cover that is insane. Fits perfect, attention to detail is way over the top, reinforcements everywhere the cover touches the boat. I mean EVERYWHERE. It's way over the top.

Unfortunately, customer service is lacking and you have to stay on them... it took me driving to their place of business to finally get through to them that I was displeased about the quality of my last cover. Once they realized, they went absolutely above and beyond and took very good care of me.

I don't have any pictures of my new cover (built about two months ago), but the attention to detail and fit are amazing. Even better than the Rankin cover I had on my last boat (built in 2001). And that cover fit snug and held-up until I sold the boat this year...with life left-over.

I am very familiar with Evolution and have examined one carefully. The cover I looked at, for a 2004 Malibu Wakesetter VLX, was very nice. Their quality is very good... but they can't match Pat's work and attention to detail. Look underneath the cover, that's where you'll see the difference, in the reinforcements across the pressure points, and across the back, where the straps come together.

Rankin does not have good customer service. So if you have a problem, make your voice known and give them a chance to fix it.

My disclaimer: I have absolutely no affiliation with Rankin whatsoever. I was just a loyal customer who felt slighted. Then challenged them to do better. And once they realized the seriousness of my frustrations and concerns, they took care of me well above my expectations.

Just wanted to share my story...
Old    alanp            09-09-2008, 11:46 PM Reply   
i wish i had heard these stories prior to buying my cover. i would have strayed away