Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003

Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-11-2003, 1:15 AM Reply   
We were cruising along, drawing ALOT of current from the alternator, 400 watts worth of lighting, 1250 wats worth of stereo and the boat lights. Saw batt voltage getting a bit under my safe zone and turned off the 400 watts worth of lighting and about 2 minutes later the fire extinguisher in the engine compartment fired off?? Now it is only about 5 inches from the alternator and im sure it was warm but should it have fired just being warm (maybe hot??)?? Alternator is still working fine. Just need to replace/recharge CO2 extinguisher. Ill have to say im way glad it was not dry chem all over my engine compartment, that would tend to suc
Old    whitechocolate            08-11-2003, 7:26 AM Reply   
Bob I have never Heard of this I would think it would trip the Breaker before it got super hot. (you do have a Breaker that matches your Alt output right) if you do you shouldnt have anything to worry about.

I have a Few questions about your Automatic Fire Ex system.
1. What kind of boat is it on
2. What sets it off
3. If it's a Aftermarket kit who installed it and what does somthing like that cost.

Thanks G"
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-11-2003, 10:28 PM Reply   
It is just a regular looking fire ext with a heat sensor on the head like the ceiing fire extinguishers have(temp gets hot enough to melt a piece and it goes off). It came with the boat (monterey) I will surely be putting it back (maybe not as close to the alt this time though). As far as cost goes i hope its not that expensive to recharge or replace it. There looks to be a way to electrically activate it also, couple of wires but they are just cut off like they never planned on using it on this application.
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-11-2003, 10:32 PM Reply   
oh yea there is a breaker on the engine (just for the engine-50 amps) and the main has a 90 amp fuse between the battery and alternator but if the alt is only rated to 65 amps then it would never blow the 90 amp fuse. I know i was drawing more power then the alt was putting out so realy i was sucking the battery dry as we were cruising home but shut off the excess load when i felt it was time then after i did that the ext went off???
Old     (elmog)      Join Date: Nov 2002       08-12-2003, 7:34 AM Reply   
Us little inboard ski boat guys usually do not get to play with marine fire supression systems like they have on the off-shore boats. In fact, I am impressed that your little Monterey had one. They are really cool. Next thing you know Grant will be installing a full-on Halon system in his rig.
Fire
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       08-12-2003, 7:44 AM Reply   
It's a factory option for any Nautique
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-12-2003, 10:21 PM Reply   
Hey he called my boat little
Old     (elmog)      Join Date: Nov 2002       08-13-2003, 6:22 AM Reply   
Jeff - so they are! Never seen one installed.

Bob, sorry about that. Your boat is *huge*! :-)

Anyone who skippers a small boat (under 30') is not compensating for any other 'shortages'.

These guys have some cool systems. Billet aluminum heads and polished cylinders.
http://www.interlinksolutions.com/saferace.htm
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-14-2003, 10:48 PM Reply   
just found out mine wasnt co2 but it was halon and is not rechargeable due to the atmosphere deal
Old     (faceplant409)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-17-2003, 9:41 PM Reply   
I looked into a fixed mount extinguisher for my LXI. I found that the melting point for the sprinkler head was much too low (+/- 175*) for a small compartment like any of ours...Engine 200*+, exhaust manifolds 200* +/-, ambient temp (summertime) 90-100* with limited air circulation in compartment. POOF!!! Any questions?
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-19-2003, 6:26 PM Reply   
Patrick i just found out the activate temp for my system is 212 degrees, 100 degrees c. I am just wondering if i should look into refilling or opt for a new ozone friendly system?? I emailed the co to find out if they can even still refill halon 1301??