Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (antihero1)      Join Date: Aug 2010       08-20-2010, 9:43 AM Reply   
Wakeboarding rocks but its waaaaaaay past time for manufacturers to offer releaseable bindings. There is some activity out there in this direction, but we hear nothing from the big name companies. I know I'd enjoy boardin much more if I knew I wouldnt face slam! That sux but the ACL injuries and broken bones really suck!
Old     (crosenhahn)      Join Date: Feb 2008       08-20-2010, 10:06 AM Reply   
Really don't think releasable bindings will work for wakeboarding. I ski a ton and ski in the park 90% of the time...Nothing sucks worse than spinning a 7 or being upside down and a ski coming off. Or when your landing and you are off just a bit and your ski pops off...sucks bad especially when you could have landed it. Or when you are hauling through a mogul field and your ski decides to take off, not cool. (now I have been saved by releasable bindings as well) I know skiing and wakeboarding are different, but in terms of releasable bindings I really don't think it would be helpful. Yes, I know you can turn up your DIN setting to 12 and 14(ski bindings) but the manufactures can only go so high before they hold some of the liability on "releasable" bindings. Releasable bindings would not be smart enough to figure out a toe-side crash from a tweaked out mute grab. JMHO.
Old     (antihero1)      Join Date: Aug 2010       08-20-2010, 10:19 AM Reply   
I agree on the snow aspect but wakeboarding is much simpler. When the board catches an edge, you are going down HARD and FAST. It may not be totally foolproof, but looking at all the threads on injuries, I would rather occasionally loose it while airborn than loose it in the hospital, spend big $$ and time on rehab, miss out on boardin, and it often never does heal up totally. I think it can be done. I slalom ski too, and there are more and more companies with releasable bindings. I've had plenty of wicked slalom crashes, but there is way less material to catch water. You never get the insane body slams like u get boardin!
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       08-20-2010, 10:25 AM Reply   
What happens when one boot releases and the other doesn't: You'd definitely catch and edge, probably shatter your ankle and blow some ligaments in your knee. These things have been thought up and tested and in board sports releasable bindings are a VERY dangerous thing to have. If your feet are attached to the same object, its best to keep them there during a crash.
Old     (antihero1)      Join Date: Aug 2010       08-20-2010, 10:35 AM Reply   
Yes the one foot out is bad news. Goode ski company's releasable system instantly releases both feet. Their particular system keeps both feet together on a small plate that both bindings are attached to.
Old     (crosenhahn)      Join Date: Feb 2008       08-20-2010, 10:56 AM Reply   
I think by the time you catch an edge, the forward momentum and pull from the boat would still slam you into the water pretty good even if both feet released. I know have taken some really hard falls on a wake skate just from the pull of the boat.
Old     (Chuch)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-20-2010, 12:29 PM Reply   
I often wonder if the people who think releasing is better, have snowboarded much. (Not being a douch about that statement.) Maybe its just me, but after seeing legs snapped in parks for years while those damn snap in bindings were hot ruined me. I want both of my legs/ankles feet locked in...no doubt. Having one leg out to swing around with a board and wet bindings on it....bad news in my opinion.
Old     (antihero1)      Join Date: Aug 2010       08-20-2010, 1:40 PM Reply   
You hataz are bustin my chops! LOL Just jokin but it is nice to hear opinions.
Old     (drewproses)      Join Date: Oct 2008       08-20-2010, 1:46 PM Reply   
I don't like to release from my board at all. Edge catching and face slamming is just part of the game my friend, would you really enjoy the sport more if that never happened? It might sound weird but I actually somewhat enjoy the beatings I take while on the learning path, it makes me appreciate the tricks I have that much more.