Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 29, 2006

Old     (bgeezy140)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-14-2006, 7:16 AM Reply   
I'm heading down to Orlando for a week tomorrow. While there, I plan on taking a visit to the cable. Is there anything special I should know before I go? Like what days/times are usually good, how big of a difference is it from riding behind a boat, and how quickly should I, as an intermediate rider be able to adapt to the rails and kickers?

Thanks in advance.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-14-2006, 8:00 AM Reply   
Bring a helmet and a board that you don't mind getting beat up. No metal fins on the sliders, or fins over about an inch. They just put in a new table that's pretty easy to slide. You should be able to pick it up pretty good. The busiest time is probably sat afternoon and wed after 4 when they have a half price special.

It's a bit different than riding the boat but not much. You should have a lot of fun, but you'll exercise different muscles than the boat and probably be sore after the first day of riding.
Old     (bgeezy140)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-14-2006, 8:06 AM Reply   
Thanks a lot. No problem with the helmet and fins, and I just got a brand new Fish to free up my old board. Just a couple more questions though. Is it better to go when it is busy so I could possibly get tips from other riders? Is there anything my non-riding girlfriend could do there while I'm riding? Also, do they require a USCG approved vest or can I take my A-10?
Old     (wkbrdr)      Join Date: Jan 2006       08-14-2006, 8:14 AM Reply   
tips...strech your arms and back before riding, stay in the booyies when corning, take breaks...

she can lay out...you can use your a-10, the lake is shallow in some spots...
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-14-2006, 8:19 AM Reply   
Dont fall on the back side, it's a long walk back...
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-14-2006, 9:06 AM Reply   
Any vest is fine. There is a big Mall and shopping areas a couple miles away, but not much to do on the premise except sun bath and watch. They have an area with tables, snack bar, and it's under cover so you can get out of the sun.

The cable operators will give you tips. Let me know when you'll be there and I'll try to come by for a ride. On weekdays I can't get there until about 6:30 - 7pm after work
Old     (bgeezy140)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-14-2006, 9:08 AM Reply   
I was thinking probably Thursday because of the college ID discount.
Old     (foxrepdc)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-14-2006, 9:14 AM Reply   
We just went this past weekend.....if you're down for the week....don't go on Saturday! Check my other post on "Cable Tips" on the longline nightmare! You will be sore as hell the next day, so do it AFTER you have to go walk around Disney or Universal all day...not before! You'll be hatin life if you have to do much walking the next day! I NEVER get sore from physical stuff....but I do from that!

Also, take some gloves....all day with wet hands on the rubber handles will give you a couple of blisters...it's a different angle than the boat.
Old     (bgeezy140)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-14-2006, 4:40 PM Reply   
Ok, so I just realized that my board apparently doesn't meet the required less than 62" L+W+H restriction for the airline. How are the rental boards there? Should I bring my own boots?
Old     (asilaydying06)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-14-2006, 5:47 PM Reply   
can you switch back and forth between the beginner side and the advanced side in the same session? or do you purchase a session for one side and then you have to stay on that side for the whole session?
Old     (foxrepdc)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-14-2006, 8:14 PM Reply   
If you want you can use your boots, but my buddy rented a Slider demo Premier for $45 and the girl working recognized he was slim and had narrow feet and set it up with some ERA bindings. He LOVED that whole set up, plus he gets $45 off his purchase if he wants to buy a setup...they keep it on file, so he could pick out a setup on the website later and phone it in...like a lot of people were demoing the Roams. That's what I am doing next time.

You can go whereever you want....we started out on the big, then bounced back and forth based on the length of the lines....then pretty much ended up on the slider side.
Old     (goodnews)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-15-2006, 6:21 AM Reply   
Airline hint: Use a small board bag and tell them it is waterski equipment. As long as it is under the weight requirement, they should not charge you extra. If they try, ask to see a manager. Whatever you do, do not use the word WAKEBOARD.
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-15-2006, 6:53 AM Reply   
What airline are you flying? My son travels all over with his board & I have never heard of that requirement, is this new because of what happened last week?
Old     (goodnews)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-15-2006, 8:34 PM Reply   
Barry:

Go to the OWC website and check out the rider of the week video.
}
Old     (bgeezy140)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-22-2006, 2:58 PM Reply   
I flew Spirit and they have the regulations posted on their website. I didn't want to risk it. It wasn't all that bad since I got to try out the Roam and had a blast on it.

goodnews, I saw her and some of the other girl riders tearing it up.

But my impressions of the park were excellent. I had a blast. Got some backside slides on the tabletop and even managed to slide the small rail with no problems. Now I want to build one on my lake.

Also, the staff there is great. Very friendly, a bit of eye candy behind the counter, and they handled the thunderstorm delay much better than I had expected. The highlight of my vacation for sure.