Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 29, 2006

Old    funkytown            08-16-2006, 12:36 PM Reply   
So whats up with everyone hating closed toe bindings?

They are more comfy and better fitting then open toed bindings. They give the rider more of a snowboarding feel, which to me, makes me feel more in control.

I also think there is a whole lot more opertunity to improve closed toe bindings (asteticly and functionaly).

I think closed toe are the way of the future for wakeboard bindings. Look at Watsons 07 bindings.....closed toe. Ronix....closed toe.
Old     (woohoo)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-16-2006, 12:37 PM Reply   
I have never ridden on closed toes, I don't get why everyone hates them. I would just worry about smashing my toes on the closed front.
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-16-2006, 12:39 PM Reply   
maybe people are afraid of change? a lot of people hated on the byerly board when it came out with a totally inovative design. I've never tried closed toe bindings, but I have heard a lot of people complain. That's probably the reason most of the closed to bindings that will be coming out will also be available in open toe.
Old    wakejjboard12            08-16-2006, 12:51 PM Reply   
my '06 murrays are amazing... but i must say i think i'm headed towards the ronix for next year!
Old     (drewdown)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-16-2006, 3:59 PM Reply   
They look funny as hell.
Old     (highmarkco)      Join Date: Mar 2006       08-16-2006, 4:05 PM Reply   
The 06 murrays are the bomb, they may look funny, and they wiegh more, but man are they comfy, I can ride for 30 minutes and my feet never get cramped up or tired. Other people on the boat don't like them just becuase I soak up a couple of sets, but I love em!

Thats just my 2 cents.
Dave
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-16-2006, 4:18 PM Reply   
I personally don't like the look, that is it.

I don't understand how they can be more comfortable or better fitting? Explain that to me........? Covering your toes makes for a more comfortable fit or better fit???? It is aesthetics right? I can't think of something off the top of my head that gives a closed toe better performance.... Though everyone is more than welcome to enlighten me, I don't claim to be a wakebinding engineer. I just thought the comment was odd.
Old     (gdillyfunk69)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-16-2006, 4:50 PM Reply   
Think about it....

Ask youself a question:

WHY OPEN TOED BINDINGS????

the only reason there was EVER open toed bindings was because that was all the companies could make.... there was just a piece of rubber holding your foot down and bolts along the outside holding the rubber down..... sim,ple cheap and at teh time all that was possible
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-16-2006, 5:17 PM Reply   
IMO, one of the reasons for open-toe is that it is easy for water to drain out..just my $.02
Old     (dr_inc)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-16-2006, 5:24 PM Reply   
BORING!!!

this is like saying do you wanna see some big boobs or little ones... and the answer is...

I WANNA SEE ALL OF THEM hahaha
Old     (cole_souers)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-16-2006, 5:31 PM Reply   
nice. great comment^^^^^^
Old     (manda)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-16-2006, 6:29 PM Reply   
closed toe for me all the way....but hay i still like the open toe...doesnt faze me as long as i am on the water its a great day!!
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       08-16-2006, 6:44 PM Reply   
I've never tried/owned a pair, but I'm very interested. E.J., to answer your question take a look at the picture of me carving out heelside. If I had something to put pressure on instead of the air, I think I would have much better board control.
Upload
Old     (h2oterroristo)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-16-2006, 6:45 PM Reply   
Dude, I don't know... open toe, closed toe... I'm still trying to figure out why they steered away from sandal bindings.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-16-2006, 10:19 PM Reply   
It's simple.---They look like girl's roller skate boots circa 1982.
Old     (tonka)      Join Date: May 2006       08-17-2006, 12:18 AM Reply   
I tried closed toe boots (06 3DS's)and I didnt notice a difference. But I'm used to a drysuit with boots that cover my toes while I ride. Either way my toes can be protected, just in case, from highly unlikely scrapes from rails. Toes cannot lift higher or push lower than the balls of your feet, so closed toe cannot improve your board control. Extra material creates unnecessary added weight to the board, but makes it look different than waterskis and more like a snowboard. If you want to stick a 1080, would you carry extra weight for the way it looks?
Old     (superairdawg)      Join Date: May 2003       08-17-2006, 3:35 AM Reply   
I tend to curl my toes up when riding too, and I'd fear that with closed toe bindings they might rub on the tops.

BTW, closed toe bindings have been around for a long long time. Look at regular skis.

I've never tried closed toes myself. I like the idea of open toe bindings allowing binding lube to get out easier. I'd be open to trying some if they become the market std.
Old     (olddude)      Join Date: Oct 2003       08-17-2006, 4:30 AM Reply   
My 06 Murray's are the most comfortable bindings I've ever owned, great support and I can ride as long as I want, not when my feet go numb which causes me to stop riding because I can tell what the board is doing.
Old     (olddude)      Join Date: Oct 2003       08-17-2006, 4:30 AM Reply   
My 06 Murray's are the most comfortable bindings I've ever owned, great support and I can ride as long as I want, not when my feet go numb which causes me to stop riding because I can't tell what the board is doing.
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-17-2006, 5:28 AM Reply   
JoeH no lube needed in closed toes so no issue

EJ they are more comfortable because there are Zero Pressure points ,nothing going over the top of your toes or squeezing your anklesand sides of your foot..

I owned the shanes for two months when they first came out and i also ride the 06 zeus ,ive got to say i like the zeus but the Shanes were twice as comfortable and as easy or easier to put on then the zeus..

however the downside of the shanes were only during crazy hard heelside edge slams i occasionally bumped my big toe on my right back foot ..One weekend i was riding a 3ft high steep 210 wake and was having a real bad day and bruised my toe do to the nail being slightly lifted on every fall..i made a rash decision and sold the shanes but realized that they were not the issue snce even now on the zeus that same foot slides forward a lot and comes through the binding some and i can see its the weird occasional fall that was the issue and some athletic tape on the toe corrected the issue..

I am sure if i would have had the same issue i had that one wekend with the shanes in my zeus i may have a worse injury and may have had to be cut out of an open toe binding or hurt my ankle etc..

its a personal preference and i intend to give to new close toes for 07 another shot because they were great while i owned them..
Old     (foxrepdc)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-17-2006, 7:15 AM Reply   
I recently went to the 3DS, and I can honestly say...I'll never go back to open toe!
Old    jrss13            08-17-2006, 7:16 AM Reply   
I went from 05 Hyperlite ERA open toe to 06 LF Shane closed toe...and will not look back. The ERA's were great bindings, but nowhere close to the Shanes's. They are so much easier to put on with no lube needed at all. Easy on, Easy off when you loosen up the laces. I have yet to come out on a fall. Absolutely no pressure points. Plus the argyle print on the Limited Edition Shanes looks sweet!
Old    chocobeat            08-17-2006, 8:50 AM Reply   
wooo!! mr. butinsky!!! wow i saw the name and thought "justins dad?? maybe maybe??" yeah man, just wanna let you know i saw a vid of your son and it inspired me to start wakeboarding :-)
Old     (kaben)      Join Date: Apr 2001 Location: Sacramento, CA       08-17-2006, 9:01 AM Reply   
I really like the Shanes. The problem I have with them is that I have a foot that is in between 2 sizes. I opted for the larger size for ease of entry. At first they were perfect but after several months they have stretched out and now I'm slamming into the front on some landings. I wish they had a larger selection of sizes so that the boot fit perfect like a shoe. I would love to get a pair like that.
Old     (bughunter)      Join Date: Nov 2001       08-17-2006, 9:31 AM Reply   
My '06 Murrays are the best I've ever owned. If only I could 'borrow' them back from my son now
Old     (airrantz)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-17-2006, 9:49 AM Reply   
Closed toe keep the little homies warm.
Old     (djustice)      Join Date: Jan 2006       08-17-2006, 1:29 PM Reply   
Love my 06 Murrays, now that they are broken in, its liking putting on an old pair of sneakers. I dont have much experience with higher end open toed boots, but I couldnt imagine being happier with my bindings.
Old     (wakeboardnut)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-17-2006, 1:44 PM Reply   
I have the SHANES's and love them, they are so comfortable, fit is perfect and is super easy to get in and out off. I used to ride 05' spynhx and they were pretty easy aswell to get in and out of as well, but every jump they came looser and looser which was becoming very annoying.

all in all i love my SHANES and dont see myself riding open toe bindings anytime soon, only problem is that they fit so perfect and stay so tight im afraid ill never come out even in a bad crash, i could slightly loosen them but thats more chance for only one foot to release.
Old     (nautiquerider27)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-17-2006, 2:51 PM Reply   
wakeboard companies took snowboard boots put some designs on em and stuck em to a binding plate
Old     (99xstar)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-17-2006, 2:56 PM Reply   
I'm still loving my 02' Belmonts, but might slap some duct tape over the front to get in the now. Naw, I think my time with mine is limited and will probably go with whatever the murray's are at the time the 02's meet their maker. They are always my fave and I hope they get a little lighter too. Schwammey!
Old     (olddude)      Join Date: Oct 2003       08-21-2006, 4:39 AM Reply   
Hey Zack, yes I'm Justin's dad. I love to ride also. I just try to go big, my best trick is a backroll.
Old     (ak4life)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-21-2006, 4:15 PM Reply   
I like my closed toe bindings for wakeboarding for all the same reasons I like closed toe shoes for every other sport: control.
Old    westcanadian            08-21-2006, 5:16 PM Reply   
Lets assume only Hyperlite closed toe boots are in existence, because LF seems to have too hard of a toe - simply needs improvement. Anyways
1. Your toes do not JAM in a painful or harmful manner
2. Water does not collect and hold inside the toes, neither does lube
3. It is not any more weight to matter at all, more weight is BS, bindings are getting lighter anyways
4. And your toes don't "rub" on the top, your feet are wet, the material is smooth, and your riding for no longer than say 30 minutes at a time. Crazy talk
5. The toe material stretches and gives enough to comfortably stop your foot from going through the bindings and BREAKING you ankle
Yeah, Say it didn't give quite enough and you broke your toe whereas if it were open toe your ankle would break. Want a broken toe or broken ankle?? And soo few people have wrecks that force their foot through a binding anyways
6. Some people notice better heelside edge leverage. And take that Roam picture for example.

Why WOULDN'T you want a closed toe binding. Pretty much every other boardsport has a full boot. Open toe is based on primitive sandal bindings. Tell me why are there gaping holes in all the other wakeboard boots??
People stop making lame excuses about why NOT to have closed toe boots. The big gun companys have done a lot more technical research than you and they are continuing to make closed toe boots.