Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 21, 2003

Old    ssjrmk            04-24-2003, 7:00 PM Reply   
i will be putting in a ballest system and was wondering once you install the through hull fitting and then the pump what stops the water from coming in when you don't want to fill, do you have to put on a valve or what. tried looking in past post but unable to find what i need. Also if some one could post a quick diagram or picture of there system so i can understand how to do a ballest system. Thanks a lot.
Old     (batman)      Join Date: Nov 2001       04-24-2003, 8:30 PM Reply   
You put a brass thru hull fitting that has a 1" opening, then put a lever type brass check valve before the pump. This will enable you to cut the water off from coming into the boat when sitting still or not being used. Malibu puts them on standard now since a persons boat sunk from a pump getting knocked sideways, thus breaking and sinking the boat! Nice looking BU! Do you already have MLS?

(Message edited by batman on April 24, 2003)
Old     (batman)      Join Date: Nov 2001       04-24-2003, 8:36 PM Reply   
go to www.Malibuboatowners.com for more info. I just put in bags in rear of mine
Old    ssjrmk            04-24-2003, 8:55 PM Reply   
Thanks MIKE O .No i don't have MLS but hope to put a system in as soon as i get it all figured out.
Old    ssjrmk            04-24-2003, 9:00 PM Reply   
MIKE O just wondering if you could post some pics or explain your system ,so i have an idea on how to do mine. Thanks
Old     (bog)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-24-2003, 9:02 PM Reply   
you need a valve body with sections to divert the water to different sacks unless you are only filling one sack
Old     (sbt3)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-25-2003, 7:49 AM Reply   
Steve,
It will depend on what pump you are using. If you are using a impeller pump the rubber impeller will stop the water from coming in. If you are using a aerator pump the water will flow thru the pump. I have a impeller pump, I put a T in the fresh water intake and used that to feed the pump rather than the thru hull fitting. I still put a shut off valve right after the T just incase something would happen I could shut it off to prevent the boat from flooding. Like Jim was saying I then take the hose out of the pump up next to the driver seat and built a manifold that has two valves so I can control each of the sacs seperately. If you have any more questions let me know or drop me a email I would be happy to help out. I usually don't check the message board or email on the weekends.
Old     (bog)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-25-2003, 8:38 AM Reply   
i will post some pics of my setup this weekend if i have the initiative!
Old    chris_hargis            04-25-2003, 8:54 AM Reply   
Steve,
Mike said put a brass check valve before the pump, but I think he meant to say ball valve. In order for a check valve to work, it would have to be positioned to not allow water in, that would keep it from getting to the pump all the time. The ball valve can be opened and closed by the lever on the side.

Stan is right about the type of pump making a difference. I have the Simer pumps in my system, and I don't have any valves since the pumps don't let the water through. I sdid have aerators before and I had to have a ball valve to keep the water from flowing ast the pumps when they were turned off.
Old    jmccallum            04-25-2003, 9:01 AM Reply   
I posted photo's and wiring diagrams of my simple ski locker sac system in this thread.

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/62328.html?1050066921
Old    oldschool            04-25-2003, 10:43 AM Reply   
Get the valves from www.flow-rite.com You can then control them from the dash. Much better than the ball/manual valve fitting. Flow-rite's have zero restriction. A ball valve is going to give a little.
Old    ssjrmk            04-25-2003, 11:11 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the info guys ,i really appriciate it.