Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (adamsilcio)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-22-2010, 10:37 AM Reply   
so i am working on more grabs these days... trying to dial in some fundamentals i skipped when i first started riding some years ago... and i am trying to add 180s here and there, poke stuff, etc. i narrowed my stance since i blew my knee three years ago... but now i am a smarter rider and i am started to learn tech tricks; i wanted to know about the advantages and disadvantages of having a wider stance. i want to be able to poke my grabs and have more movement on the board and i assume having a wider stance will allow me to do these things...

what's everyone's take on this? also, if you've had some bad experiences with a wider stance, feel free to talk about it...

thanks
Old    Chaserwaser            04-22-2010, 10:45 AM Reply   
Just do whats comfrotable , you will have more "control" if your stance is wider and ducked out but the closer your stance is together the fast you will spin for 3s and stuff.. A trick is to jump down into sand from a stool and however your feet land is how your bindings should be I dont know how much I agree with it but then again ive never tried it haha
Old     (911)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-22-2010, 10:57 AM Reply   
nah that doesn't really work.
or my stance would be around 40 cm
but try jumping sideways. that pretty close to what i got on my board.
like you come down from a landing
Old    Chaserwaser            04-22-2010, 11:14 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911 View Post
nah that doesn't really work.
or my stance would be around 40 cm
but try jumping sideways. that pretty close to what i got on my board.
like you come down from a landing
right thats what i ment not straight down but side jump lol
Old     (kyle_m)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-22-2010, 11:05 AM Reply   
gangsta stance all the way out
Old     (benbuchholz)      Join Date: Oct 2009       04-22-2010, 11:37 AM Reply   
Don't even need a stool, just jump off the ground and let yourself land naturally. usually the most comfortable stance.

+1 for gangsta stance! I think it makes style easier, especially for tall guys like myself. Duck it out a little, and you're good to go.
Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-22-2010, 11:59 AM Reply   
im 5'10 and set my bindings at 21-22" to the center of the back of my heels on the bindings.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-22-2010, 12:31 PM Reply   
Oh yeah... gangsta stance fo sho.... Ha, ha, ha. All the way out. As wide as you can get it.
Old     (xclay89x)      Join Date: Feb 2009       04-22-2010, 12:33 PM Reply   
G'd up from tha feet up. Gangsta style fo sho.
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-22-2010, 12:43 PM Reply   
I'm not 100% sure, but I really doubt stance width has any affect on spin speed. Thats more to do with swing weight of the baord and the strenth of your pull off the wake. I usually go with all the way out because I'm a taller guy. I think the main thing to watch out for injury wise is making sure your stance width and duck puts your toes, knees, and hips as close to a straight line as possible when in a riding stance, just to reduce stress on the joints. And yeah, a wider stance probably makes it easier to poke out grabs and such as your legs are already more extended and you dont have to flex your ankle as much as in a narrower stance.
Old    Chaserwaser            04-22-2010, 12:48 PM Reply   
Ben, stance does involve spin speed, if you notice gymnastics ALWAYS keep there feet close together which cause them the faster rotation then if you watch a kid on a trampoline ( non gymnist ) there legs are spread out which cause's the motion of your body to slow down because your not "tight" just like in a roll if you tuck more you spin faster, tuck less spin less

Last edited by Chaserwaser; 04-22-2010 at 12:51 PM.
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-22-2010, 12:52 PM Reply   
And when you have a board strapped perpendicular to your feet, the tip and tail will always be the same distance from the centre of rotation no matter what your stance width. So your swing weight is dependant on the length and weight of your board much more so than on your stance width. If you are looking at it from a physics perspective, yes you can spin faster, but if you look at it from a realistic perspective, it doesnt make a difference.
Old    Chaserwaser            04-22-2010, 12:59 PM Reply   
It always will be the tighter your body is ( arms in / legs together ) the faster you will spin, if your legs are in tight on the board stance your body motion will be able to spin faster, when you get a chance, jump with your legs arms tight and spin as much as you can and then jump with your knees tucked and feet spread as if you were on a wakeboard, you will see the difference ( better if you can do it on a trampoline ) dont set a goal like oh i can do a 360 on both so they must be the same ..... just go as fast as you can an just land when you have to ...
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-22-2010, 1:04 PM Reply   
I understand that a tighter body will allow you to spin faster, but with a wakeboard on, the 5" or so that you can adjust your stance wont make a noticable difference in spin speed, especially when compared to what you just described, the pencil body vs the wide feet. Your physics is right, but in a practical situation, the difference is negligable.
Old    Chaserwaser            04-22-2010, 1:20 PM Reply   
Well ill just go f myself ... hahaha ....
Old    Chaserwaser            04-22-2010, 1:23 PM Reply   
but you know I wont agree 100% with mine or your decision unless its like scientificaly proven on a wakeboard given this exact situation , Agree to Disagree senior, agree to disagree
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-22-2010, 4:44 PM Reply   
Once I learn to spin at least a 7 I'll do some testing and let you know how it goes.
Old     (azwakeYO)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-22-2010, 5:42 PM Reply   
i have my stance all the way out Im about 5'8 and i can spin 7s. and can over rotate too 9.