Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (brian_young)      Join Date: Dec 2003       06-10-2013, 1:32 PM Reply   
If you have ever been on Lake Lewisville, you know how the wind can make good riding spots short on supply. One of the better riding spots on Lake Lewisville, "Skier's Cove", as of late last week has now been marked as no wake zone. This has been a go to spot for decades.

One of the local riders has started a petition to submit to the Army Corps of Engineers. If you support keeping it open, please sign. Thanks for your help. http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/save-skiers-cove/
Old     (devildog_ra)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-11-2013, 7:11 AM Reply   
signed
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       06-11-2013, 7:59 AM Reply   
signed
Old     (Khyber)      Join Date: Mar 2013       06-11-2013, 8:04 AM Reply   
signed
Old     (Khyber)      Join Date: Mar 2013       06-11-2013, 8:05 AM Reply   
Why did the mark it as a no wake zone?
Old     (brian_young)      Join Date: Dec 2003       06-11-2013, 8:40 AM Reply   
Not really getting a straight answer. The Corp says boater safety, city says noise and erosion, locals in the cove believe it is one particular home owner with some pull. We are trying to the water sports community and the homeowners united to get them removed.
Old     (FunkyBunch)      Join Date: Jun 2011       06-11-2013, 9:33 AM Reply   
Brian signed it last night, I fear that this is really just the beginning. I know of of another couple of sports that are endangered as well on Lake Lewi. Hidden cove has another marina in the first phase of planning witch will effectively shut it down. I also think the new cable is going to kill cotton wood creek as well.
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       06-11-2013, 9:46 AM Reply   
I wouldn't be surprised that its more than one owner who wants that no wake buoy there. I mean as a homeowner in those coves I bet they are fed up with huge wakeboard wakes eroding the already drought stricken lake. Top that off with wakeboard boats loud speakers and you have a recipe for people wanting some to make a change.
Old     (FunkyBunch)      Join Date: Jun 2011       06-11-2013, 10:23 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce_bronkite View Post
I wouldn't be surprised that its more than one owner who wants that no wake buoy there. I mean as a homeowner in those coves I bet they are fed up with huge wakeboard wakes eroding the already drought stricken lake. Top that off with wakeboard boats loud speakers and you have a recipe for people wanting some to make a change.
While I understand that is whats going on. I do not understand the logic buying a house on a public lake and trying to change the public access to using it. While the music is one thing the erosion effect has been proven false in Cor studies that says the wind creates just as much as the boats do. If you want to live on a pristine lake with no boat traffic buy on a private lake.
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       06-11-2013, 11:42 AM Reply   
I can see it being a safety issue. That's really the only spot for west siders to ride and that cove is pretty small and gets packed out. If this thing holds, i can see that cove being the new party cove, so i hope it wasn't the neighbors!
Old     (Texan)      Join Date: May 2011       06-11-2013, 11:54 AM Reply   
That would be my fear as a home owner, no wake zone means great place to anchor up and turn the tunes up.

Friggin marina has ruined hidden cove. Tubers for days.
Old     (brian_young)      Join Date: Dec 2003       06-11-2013, 11:56 AM Reply   
Today the corp told us that the buoys are NOT mandatory, and there at the corp's discretion for boater safety. They are entertaining the option of moving them to the west fork of the cove, which is an unusable anyway, and is actually a hazard.

I'm aware it is more than one homeowner, one in particular is just a little more outspoken. The ones I have had a chance to speak to, many of which moved to the lake to enjoy water sports, are very unhappy with the decision.

I understand the music complaints. We keep ours at reasonable volumes, and then lower or off as it gets later. I believe they should patrol for this. Before the buoys went up, I'm not sure if I have ever seen patrol on that side of the lake. Additionally, why prevent it in the cove, and not the rest of the areas with houses.

The erosion is a bit of a two sided coin. The boats are not helping, but the home owners are mowing the no-mow zone, thus allowing erosion to happen faster from both boat and wind waves.

We are getting local homeowners to call the city and the corp.
Old     (skull)      Join Date: May 2002       06-11-2013, 12:02 PM Reply   
Signed... I wasn't aware of this... that is an area we frequently wakeboard in. this sucks.
Old     (coveresident)      Join Date: Jun 2013       06-16-2013, 6:25 AM Reply   
I own a home on the shoreline right at the split on the South side of the skiers cove. I moved here for one thing. Watching and participating in water sports. I moved here 12 years ago. I have boated here for 20 years. I knew about the noise, so did anyone else that bought of built on this cove. Those that complain about boats and skiers are a vast minority. Just look at the number of personal water craft on the shoreline as well as wakeboard boats tied up from time to time. It is completely unfair and unfounded to deny continued use of this cove for skiers, or at least half of it. I may agree to safely concerns deep in the cove when water levels are low. For the most part, the wakeboard boat drivers are the best on the lake. They have an appreciation for keeping distance from other boats/riders. The music can be rough at times, especially since I have young kids but its part of living on a ski cove just like living next to an airport trying to complain about aircraft noise. The shoreline owners have talked to the corp. (Mr Jordan) He seems reasonable. He has asked for a letter/letters from shoreline residents to provide feedback to this change. He promised to take it up the chain of command. Anything you others boats can do constructive will be appreciated. I have enjoyed watching some serious skier and wakeboard talent over the years in this cove.
Old     (brian_young)      Join Date: Dec 2003       06-17-2013, 10:53 AM Reply   
Kyle,
I'm sending you a PM with my contact info. Another one of the residents just meet with Rob Jordan this morning. Not much progress, but he is wanting letters from other residents on the cove sent to him. I can fill you in further as needed.