Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 23, 2005

Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-19-2005, 9:50 PM Reply   
I don't want to rain on Epic's parade... but if I decided to design and build a new "wakeboard boat"... bling it out with the biggest motor, biggest ballast, billet aluminum everywhere, loudest stereo... etc.

Free boat to Shapiro, Murray, Parks, Shane, Grubb, Harris, Ruck, Sharpe, Santori, Watkins, Sanders, and all of the other top pro riders.

Sign a guarantee of $10,000,000 per year for ten years of advertising with Wakeboard Magazine.

The same as the above with Wakeworld.com, wakeboarder.com, Alliance, and all other wakeboard websites and magazines....

Free boat and $10,000,000 per year for ten years to Pro Wakeboard Tour, Gravity Games, X-Games, Mountain Dew Tour, Tony Hawk Tour, and all other similar tours.

Do you think the boat that I built would be considered by most to be the BEST boat ever?

I would even price it 10% higher than the highest priced "wakeboard boat" out there, just to justify the quality and performance of this boat.

I would not be in it for the money... just for the recognition that I built the best boat ever!!!

Let me know your thoughts. I may just do it!

Old    wakepirate            07-19-2005, 10:00 PM Reply   
I'm not sure of your point here kyle. Any of the present boat manufacturers could do this.
Old     (mike_gilbert)      Join Date: Sep 2004       07-19-2005, 11:45 PM Reply   
Your accounting must be way wrong or your planning on selling a ton of boats at an exobant price. You have already commited $300 million to various things before recieving a dime. In my opinion if you where to design a boat you would go bankrupt before you produced your first boat with that much commited expenditures. Dont mean to rain on your parade.
Old     (ccwhite)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-20-2005, 4:47 AM Reply   
$10 Million for a single year of advertising in WBM!?! Im in the wrong business
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-20-2005, 8:13 AM Reply   
My accounting is not wrong... I would not do this to make any money... but to be known as the best wakeboard boat ever...

Quite often on these posts... I find people bashing the lesser known boats...

How can a person have an opinion on a boat that they have never sat it... driven... ridden behind...?

But you throw a boat in a popular magazine... sponsor a tour... give some to the pros... pay someone to give you a great review...

and BAM.... you got a great boat!!!

Anyone ever wonder why WaterSki Magazine never gives a horrible review on a boat? That boat company would cancel all advertising.

Anyone ever wonder why when WaterSki Magazine has their annual boat reviews... why some companies have 20 page ads...

It is all about marketing.

So if someone can just build a half decent boat... and spend millions on marketing... all of a sudden you get the bandwagon effect... and you have the best boat!

I don't think you will ever see me bash any boat... come to think of it... some of the boats I have owned were the ones being bashed...

To each their own... just enjoy riding what you are riding behind... that is all that matters...

Peace
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-20-2005, 10:28 AM Reply   
Ski boats are a fickle market. Very tough to take on the big boys. New boat brands have to price themselves below market for what they are worth, to attrach new buyers.

Lots of nice ski boat makers found out how hard this market is. IMO Toyota, Infinity, Cobalt, and Session all made nice ski or wake boats, and either left the market or are getting ready to.
Old     (roberto)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-20-2005, 10:50 AM Reply   
The way to win the Best Boat Award is not about creating a marketing buzz, that's how to win the popularity contest. The Best Boat awards are handed out by the boat owners who have received the best service from their dealers and quality/reliability/performance from their boats.

Your 10 mil buys brand recognition which allows the manufacturer/dealers to sell more boats. It doesn't buy much else. I'd rather spend the 10Mil to put out a quality boat and build the best service network to support the boat...and make a profit.
Old    milo_lite            07-20-2005, 11:19 AM Reply   
Give me 50 million and make sure everyone in the bussinees sees you as the person that build the best boat.. Ill come up with a big story or something, but with 50,000,000 trust me you will be famous. Trust me on this one, email me to send you the wire transfer information..
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-20-2005, 11:29 AM Reply   
Exactly Robert... there are alot of good boats out there with crappy dealers...
Old    wickedwake            07-20-2005, 11:33 AM Reply   
So how does a "professional bs'er" come up with all of this dough?
Old    jlm            07-20-2005, 12:01 PM Reply   
huh? you got toooo much time on your hands.....
Old     (airrantz)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-20-2005, 12:02 PM Reply   
BS'ers are good at making money, especially if they own a wakeboard club/school in one of the bigger summer resort towns in Canada.

Kyle-

Did you used to own a purple Aztec Crow three summers back? I was up in Penticton for week and my buddy and I came across a wakeboard club with that boat on Skaha.
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-20-2005, 12:17 PM Reply   
That would be me. Ryan you gotta come ride behind the EPIC... it is sick!
Old     (airrantz)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-20-2005, 12:42 PM Reply   
Nice I figured there couldn't have been more than a few wakeboard clubs up there in Penticton. That's one of my favorite places to spend a weekend partying and wakeboaring. Haven't been up there for a couple years though. I'd definitely be interested in checking out the Epic in person.
Old     (breadbutta)      Join Date: Dec 2003       07-20-2005, 1:00 PM Reply   
I think you're confusing hype and opinion with quality and reliablity.
How about building a wakeboard and ditching your 'Costco' special?
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-20-2005, 5:22 PM Reply   
Hey Bruce.. no confusion... this was the reason for this... people should evaluate a boat based on the quality of the construction and the performance...

I take a lot of time when I buy a boat... I produce a list of items that I need... and that I would like... and then weight them... then test drive boats with a rider and fat sacs... then evaluate and buy what works best for what I am looking for...

I know lots of people who buy out of a magazine rating... website rating... what a particular pro is riding behind...

I encourage boat buyers to test test test... not buy on hype and opinion...

I have my favourites... but it is only because I have either owned it... or used it....

Best of luck when you are looking for your next boat!!!! Give them all a try! And go with what is most important for you!

Old    kennethl            07-21-2005, 7:12 AM Reply   
Why dont you go for it and post the results for us.
Old    tige_kid            07-21-2005, 8:01 AM Reply   
your going to pay 300 million dollars just to be known as the best boat builder ever. Sounds like a dumb idea to me.
Old    kennethl            07-21-2005, 3:28 PM Reply   
This guy reminds me a bit of Ryan on mastercraft.. I guess becoming in fashion for the boat builders to have some tard out there screaming their name.. even if it's coming out the back window of the special buss.. all pr is good.. right?