Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 04, 2003

Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-17-2003, 11:42 AM Reply   
What filter do I need to ask for at the automotive store or what do you guys use?
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-17-2003, 11:57 AM Reply   
If no one replies, I'll post the model number of the one that I've been using. I just can not remeber which one right now (I have that at home).

I think that its the same as the Chevy 5.7L truck filter. I found one that fits and holds more oil than the stock marine ones.
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-17-2003, 11:59 AM Reply   
thanks sean. let me know.
Old     (leetudor)      Join Date: Oct 2001       03-17-2003, 12:18 PM Reply   
Fram PH-13 or PH-30. One is shorter. If you have a v-drive and the muffler is by the oil filter you will need the shorter one.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-17-2003, 12:51 PM Reply   
Ty,

DO NOT GO ANYWHERE NEAR FRAM. There have been countless studies done on filters, and Fram always comes in last. If you want a quality filter go with a Napa Gold filter, all you have to do is bring your old filter} in with you and they will match it up with what you've got.

I REPEAT, DO NOT GO NEAR FRAM FILTERS!!!
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-17-2003, 12:53 PM Reply   
Thanks. Shawn told me the same thing. He said Napa Gold.
Old     (leetudor)      Join Date: Oct 2001       03-17-2003, 1:26 PM Reply   
You can use the Fram for a cross reference, I did not say use it.
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-17-2003, 1:37 PM Reply   
I totally agree with Cliff.. Fram has awesome marketing but the product is a joke.
Napa Gold all the way!!

B-
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-17-2003, 6:55 PM Reply   
The two that I use as reference are:

Fram PH5
and
Purolator 34631
I have used Napa Filters, but can not find the model number.

This matches to a Chev Truck with a FI 5.7L and 2WD.

I'm not sure on the PH13 and PH30s, the PH5 is the Fram model # I've used.
Old    skippyh2o            03-17-2003, 8:10 PM Reply   
NAPA GOLD PLEASE!!!! If not use MERCRUISER parts. Thay have been tested through and through. I dont want to be the guy to tow you back to the dock because your cheap ideas. Just dont put penny parts on a multi-thousand dollar engine. Also when you are at NAPA, buy the "Royal Purple" oil, it WILL help. Then you can change your filter 3x before you change your oil.
Old    sickboy            03-18-2003, 9:55 AM Reply   
Ty-
When I recently changed the oil on my MC, I found that the stock oil filters at Copes were cheaper than the filter I could have gotten at Pep Boys. Just a thought, check the price at your dealer...

mb
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-23-2003, 8:12 AM Reply   
I would not use fram but the reference number for that supposedly matches is the ph5 or the longer which is a ph8a or the napa gold filter reference is 1060. Can anyone else confirm this also? not a big difference in price compared to the quicksilver oem parts. The napa was about 7.00 and the original is 9.00. Which is better?