Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 23, 2004

Old    buzza            09-13-2004, 12:16 PM Reply   
hello, ive only just saw sense and bought myself a boat to take up wakeboarding!
now ive never really tried it or even got a board but i do come from a snowboarding background, is there any similarities or not!
and i could really do with some advice on what board and bindings to get etc!
any help would be appreciated!
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-13-2004, 12:26 PM Reply   
lower your voice for starters.
Old    buzza            09-13-2004, 12:32 PM Reply   
consider it lowered
Old     (tcluv85)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-13-2004, 12:47 PM Reply   
Welcome to wakeboarding and Wakeworld. My advice for a beginner is to search the archives of wakeworld and current posts alike. Try searching with the word Beginner.

Once you find a board you like what you hear about it, check out what the wakeworld guide has to say from the homepage (there are some reviews there also).

http://www.wakeworld.com/BoardGuide/
http://www.wakeworld.com/Boots/

You will find lots of helpful information on wakeworld. There have been many similar threads started.

Also try to look for a third in the Find a third/Be a Third discussion area. The thirds from wakeworld are awesome and will give plenty of advice for a beginners, from boarding to driving for a boarder.

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/53686/53686.html?1095102498

And remember...no matter what...HAVE FUN. That is why most of us board...for the FUN of it.
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-13-2004, 12:49 PM Reply   
im just pickin, do what he said.
Old    buzza            09-13-2004, 12:49 PM Reply   
cheers for that, i will check out some threads now!
Old     (jdaviso1)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-13-2004, 7:00 PM Reply   
Welcome John!

Get a DVD like Waketrix or Detention. They'll help you once you're able to get up.

Not a lot similarities between wakeboarding and snowboarding. Some of the obvious ones; like when in doubt, bend your knees. But you're not going to automatically become an excellent wakeboarder because you can snowboard.

For me, I can ride switch more comfortably on a wakeboard. However, I can ollie like a madman on a snowboard and not as well on a wakeboard. I would say one sport does give you confidence in the other.

-- John
Old    sk8joe01            09-13-2004, 8:43 PM Reply   
one thing i would say if you like snowboarding get a loser board! i snowboarded long before i started wakeboarding, so i know how to edge prety well, even just comeing into wakeboarding. since i snowboard, and on a snowboard you are very very loose and can freely spin around in the snow etc, i've always liked boards that are somewhat simalliar; that can hold an edge, but still rotate around in the water somewhat. generally this will be a board with no center fin, and smaller outside fins that are lower than the rockerline of the board. these don't do to much unless you are on edge, just the way i like it.

i havn't ridden a huge variety of boards, so i can't really suggest certian models for ya, i rode a hyperlite premier and it was prety good, i'm now rideing an obrien vision 140, it has no center fin, and the two on the outside are 1.1". its a little tight for me, i'm thinkin of gettin 0.9" fins for it. the vision is an awsome board i think, definatly demo it if you can.

sorry, wen't off on a tangent there, anyway, if you snowboard you may like a loser board is all. have fun man, wakeboarding is sweet!

(Message edited by sk8joe01 on September 13, 2004)