Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 20, 2009

Old     (mbboarder8)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-10-2009, 4:18 PM Reply   
I bought a brand new in packaging Hyperlite roam off of eBay. Rode it twice, jumped a wake and the bolts ripped the Roam's anchor's out of the board. Has anyone had this problem? I have contacted Hyperlite twice and have not gotten a response back. Any suggestions on what to do? (Picture attached)Upload
Old     (devildog_ra)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-10-2009, 4:20 PM Reply   
contact your local pro shop if you have one im sure they can get an ra (return authorization) number for you so that you can get a brand new board if not keep trying hyperlite im sure they will help you
Old     (all_board_rider)      Join Date: May 2009       08-10-2009, 4:35 PM Reply   
wouldnt happen on a CWB =P
Old     (quick)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-10-2009, 4:51 PM Reply   
Buehler....

Buehler.....

That sucks!

I have never had to deal with Hyperlite, so I do not know how they handle these things. It sounds like e-mailing isn't getting you anywhere. Does anyone know a phone number for Hyperlite or a contact that frequents the forums here?

I have been taken care of immediately by Ronix and Company though when I have had issues, no questions asked. Most companies will step up to the plate when there are defects with their product, hopefully hyperlite stands behind their product and will do the same.

-Quick
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-10-2009, 4:52 PM Reply   
wouldnt happen on a CWB =P
-----

wouldnt happen on a Crappy Wake Board?
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-10-2009, 4:54 PM Reply   
before any one that rides CWB freaks out, im just playing :-p only ridden 1 cwb, and it was the ultimate in beginner, so i wouldnt know about their high end boards
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       08-10-2009, 4:55 PM Reply   
^^^ Your right inserts prolly wouldn't have busted out on a CWB. I haven't seen that happen to any of my buddies boards from them... If it was a CWB it woulda broken in half instead

Did Hyperlite get away from the different depth screws on the Roam? I have the '05 Roam and it actually had a different set of thumb screws with a different length than the standards. I had used the standard thumb screws when it first came, but they broke out EXACTLY like that. Hyperlite covered the board and sent me a actual ROAM thumb screws, haven't had a problem since with it.
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-10-2009, 4:57 PM Reply   
If it was a CWB it woulda broken in half instead
------------

LMFAO i just laughed for like a minute straight
Old     (all_board_rider)      Join Date: May 2009       08-10-2009, 5:20 PM Reply   
ben nailed it, hopefuly C-dubs new alternative core will hold up better than the platty's. too many rippers snapping to many decks out in the flats ha. C-DUB ALL DAY

.....continue the hyperlite chat
Old     (mbboarder8)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-10-2009, 6:42 PM Reply   
So CWB is where its at? I once had a problem with my ronix relik bindings and Ronix responded the same day- sent me new laces within 3 days. I thought hyperlite would have at least responded?
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-10-2009, 6:44 PM Reply   
So CWB is where its at?
---

its all about preference. you might hate one board while 10 other people might love it
Old     (texastbird)      Join Date: May 2003       08-10-2009, 7:02 PM Reply   
Any manufacturer's inserts can rip out if you use the wrong hardware or don't keep the hardware tight.
Old     (quick)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-10-2009, 7:37 PM Reply   
Does anyone else find it funny that almost every other manufacturer of wake products has a presence on here and helps out if someone has an issue.......and Hyperlite does not appear to.

I am thinking that I will never purchase another hyperlite product again....since they do not appear to care about responding to customer concerns....

I like to read about warranty issues and complaints and their resolutions on here because it really is a good indicator of the service i will receive if I purchase the products of the companies.

Maybe Hyperlite is just too big and doesn't care....

Has anyone had a good experience with them??
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       08-10-2009, 7:47 PM Reply   
I have seen Hyperlite represent themselves multiple times on this site. They have a presence here and they will work to resolve any issues. I am sure this will get taken care of soon.
Old     (hockey9)      Join Date: Mar 2009       08-10-2009, 8:04 PM Reply   
That sucks man!

I am in the process of a warranty issue also with Hyperlite. This will be my 2nd board in less then a year that has had the top layer come off the board, first was 07 3DS and now the 08 Pulse.I took it to my local shop and their working on it for me!

Good luck
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-10-2009, 8:44 PM Reply   
This has happened multiple times to my roams that I have previously owned. So far I have gone through 3 roams because of the same damage that has happened to yours. What I have found is that the board is not meant and should not be taken wake to wake and should be just used to flat land tricks. Also you may want to check which kind of bolts or screws you are using to attach your bindings to the board. This also had something to do with my first roam tearing apart. I still however, take it wake to wake and ride the living hell out of it because the board is so much fun haha.

Each time hyperlite has had me either send my board back or send in a picture and destory the warning label to prevent another warranty and sent me out a new one within a couple weeks.
Old     (zoodsmak)      Join Date: Feb 2009       08-10-2009, 8:57 PM Reply   
There is nothing wrong with taking the board wake to wake. I've seen a roam go from someone taking a back edge digger just messing around out in the flats. The problem is also the point of the roam in general. The board is thinner so they use a shallow insert. If you catch the board in a way that puts the pressure of the water to pull the board away from the boots you can blow the inserts.

The whole point of the Roam though is to create a thinner board to allow for the flex so you kind of get what you pay for.

I will say that my roam was covered under warranty and my friends roam was covered a couple months after the warranty expired. Both times resulted in brand new roam boards and we both still have those roams 2 years later.
Old     (coreym)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-10-2009, 9:02 PM Reply   
I have taken a break to get some work done at my desk but I am still here. In the past I have been on here quite a bit, oh how quickly I have been forgotten.

Hyperlite is here and our phones ring every day and we answer all the phone calls. I would say if you weren't getting a response to an email I might try a different avenue of communication. Phone is the fastest, but there is always fax and snail mail too! Phone number is 800-938-4040. Ask for Corey and I will set you up.

As for the warranty on that board, the best and fastest way to take care of any warranty is through the store that you bought it at. They are set up to sell you the product and take care of you, the customer, during the life of that product. And this should be done through the shop you bought it at whether it is down the street or on line. Which every Hyperlite dealer has an actual shop somewhere. So call them up first and see if they can help you. I am there to help them and so it will eventually come back to me.

As for this board in particular, you might have a hard time with the warranty on this board if you bought it off ebay. Many of these stores are liquidators or random people claiming to be a shop. So do some research and find out about their warranty policy and a little bit about the shop before you buy the product. Jumping on that super low price may not be such a bargain if the shop isnt there to support you.

If you strike out with the shop you bought it at get ahold of me and I will see what I can do. coreym@hosports.com i cant make any promises, but if nothing else I can set you up with a great dealer, that will give you a great deal but still be there to take care of you whether you need a warranty or if you need more product.

Hope this clears up any questions. And CO (quick), if you want I will show you our warranty policy and you can compare it to any other companies warranty policy. Our policy has taken care of alot of people out there, and I bet a few of them are on the water now because Hyperlite and its retailers have made sure they are taken care of.

Corey M
coreym@hosports.com
Old     (quick)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-10-2009, 9:47 PM Reply   
Corey,

I don't doubt your warranty policy and I am sure that it is equally as good as the other manufacturers. Ronix actually helped me with my issue directly even though I purchased the bindings on ebay.

I expect to get a response when I e-mail a company directly, which was the basis of my posting in a negative manner. I apologize if you took offense. Way to step up and help the guy out, or at least give him advice on how to go about finding out what to do in his case.

I have a Hyperlite BT vinyl skate and a Hyperlite surf board and have never had an issue with either. I am pleased with the product, I just expect good customer service as well.

Thanks for posting up and showing you care.
Old     (n00b)      Join Date: Mar 2006       08-11-2009, 5:49 AM Reply   
Corey helped me when the same thing happened to my Roam.
They take a little time to get things moving, in the current climate I'd guess they are under staffed, but I've nothing but good things to say about the Hyperlite customer support.
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       08-11-2009, 5:59 AM Reply   
Hats off to Hyperlite for the times they helped me out! Great crew out there behind the scenes!
Old     (coreym)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-11-2009, 7:59 AM Reply   
Phillip - yeah sorry about that, that was a long wait. I owe you big time on that one. I have that whole process figured out now and if you ever need anything else it will be a fraction of the wait.

Just a heads up too, if you emailed us through our website site you might not get a response. We are having a few issues with that inbox but it should be worked out soon. If you have questions please send them to one of us directly or call us at 800-938-4646. Any of us in here are more than happy to help you out!

Corey M @ Hyperlite
corey@hosports.com
Old     (wakeasaurousrex)      Join Date: Dec 2008       08-11-2009, 9:44 AM Reply   
Take Corey up on the deal. Not only does Hyperlite make the best products in the industry they also have the best customer service.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-11-2009, 9:57 AM Reply   
Why should buying on eBay affect the warranty? Is Hyperlite dumping sub-standard boards on the gray market?
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       08-11-2009, 10:07 AM Reply   
Corey is THE MAN!

You going to be in Reno Corey? If so first round is on me!
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-11-2009, 12:37 PM Reply   
all_board_rider, there's a CWB board in my garage that thinks you're wrong about inserts not coming out :-) That board didn't last a season with my Exo Suctions on it.
Old     (coreym)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-11-2009, 1:06 PM Reply   
John Anderson - Hyperlite does not sell to dealers who are not registered dealers. We dont dump product on Ebay, Craigslist or any other online site. We sell to registered dealers to make sure there is someone in your area to take care of you and keep you on the water. Buying off ebay effects almost every warranty out there I am guessing.
Old     (coreym)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-11-2009, 1:14 PM Reply   
Riley - I wish I could be there. Somebody's got to work so the NorCal Riders can stay on the water. I am gonna hit you up for that first round though next time I see you though. Maybe end of September?
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       08-11-2009, 2:26 PM Reply   
I had great help from Hype a few years back on a board I purchased on ebay. they were nothing but helpful in getting me a replacement board.

customer service in this industry is top notch across the board. I dont think you will find one company in this industry that gives less than stellar service.
people are quick to shoot of an email and come on here complaining about the lack of response. it's not hard to do an internet search and find a phone number. talking to people directly is much easier, and you are more than likely going to get an immediate response that way.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       08-11-2009, 2:30 PM Reply   
I got ya Corey! What's up in September? You coming down for Spanky?
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-11-2009, 2:55 PM Reply   
Corey, after I wrote that I took a look at eBay and found an online dealer selling Roams that are "factory 3rds" and have a "90 day factory warranty". Is the eBay dealer lying about the 90 day factory warranty.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hyperlite-Roam-E-Core-139-cm-Wakeboard-2008-New_W0QQitemZ170370148415QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_0?hash=item27aada283f&_trksid=p3286.c0. m14

"This is a factory 3rd wakeboard. Factory Thirds are usually boards with off color, blurred, or off center graphics. Thirds may also include boards that are faded, factory repaired boards, demo boards, scratches and/or boards with wrong graphics. In some cases boards may have logo stickers on them. All factory third irregularities affect cosmetic appearance only and will not affect the performance of the board in any way. Our Factory 3rd boards are under a 90 day factory Warranty! "
Old     (coreym)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-11-2009, 3:37 PM Reply   
The only thing that has a 90 day warranty for us is apparel such as board shorts, t-shirts, and some things like tube pumps and leisure tubes. Below is our warranty for products like the roam board and wood skates:

One Year from Date of Purchase – Wood – Softgoods - Ropes
HO Sports will inspect any and all products sent in for warranty within one year of a customer purchase. Products older than one model year must be accompanied with a customer receipt to verify purchase within one year. Product Defined: Any wake skate or flex board constructed of predominantly wood materials. Also included are Vests, Bags, Gloves, Helmets, and Ropes.

Third warranties to the best of my knowledge are covered for everything except the reason why they are in thirds. For example, if you buy a board with a broken tap, I am not going to warranty the board for having a broken tap in the insert.

Corey M @ Hyperlite

BTW - I have no way of connecting the dots between an ebay user name and the dealer name. I truly cant tell you if that is a registered Hyperlite dealer or not.
Old     (coreym)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-11-2009, 3:39 PM Reply   
Riley - Yeah, Spanky is what I am planning on. I have to figure that out.
Old     (mbboarder8)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-11-2009, 5:23 PM Reply   
I appreciate the responses back from Hyperlite. Though emailing their direct addresses may not be the best way to contact them, they have great customer support when you do. Corey is definitely the guy to talk to. They have showed much effort and resolved my issue! Much Thanks Hyperlite- i will continue to buy your products!

(Message edited by mbboarder8 on August 11, 2009)
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-11-2009, 5:46 PM Reply   
Hype is top notch with customer service in my experience with them....
Old     (coreym)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-11-2009, 5:53 PM Reply   
M buehler - glad we could help you out, and you are right about the website email. We are having issues with it but it should be resolved soon. If you need any please feel free to call 800-938-4646 in the mean time.

Corey M @ Hyperlite
coreym@hosports.com
Old    thebiggmann            08-12-2009, 8:02 AM Reply   
HO has been great, as has Corey. Busted an 07 Murray that I bought off eBay, talked to Corey about how to go about getting it warrantied, he let me know what was up and told me if my local dealer wouldn't take care of me, he would. It never got that far because BJ's Sportshop was great to work with and took care of me ASAP. Under a week to get a new board from the time I brought it in. Great service, I just wish I could find a Hyperlite board to suit me :-( still not a fan of the Murray, even with the new shape, dunno what it is about it. Find me a reason to leave my Lyman haha. But anyway, huge shoutout to HO, Corey, and BJs!
Old     (coreym)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-12-2009, 8:41 AM Reply   
Biggs - couple new boards for this year and some new boots too. I just saw they ended up on WW last night it looks like, but you will have to see them in person to really appreciate the shape, the graphics and the fit of the boots. I was pretty impressed with it all. I am sure after Surf Expo you will hear alot more about our product.

Corey M @ Hyperlite
coreym@hosports.com
Old    thebiggmann            08-12-2009, 9:17 AM Reply   
Whatcha got for me with a rocker line similar to the Lyman, but with possibly a little more W2W pop?
Old     (wakeboardgeezer)      Join Date: May 2009       08-16-2009, 8:40 AM Reply   
Corey, John,

I own 15-20 boards from various manufactures and about 6 of them are hyperlites, some are relatively new, some are super old, 2-Eras (142/147), 1 Roam, 1 HO XP, 1 Twin Baff, 1 North Shore.

No pro shops around here that I know of, money is super tight right now and the best prices most often are on Ebay so I have to go along with John Anderson as far as the warranty not being affected when purchasing "New" boards in that forum.

Many Ebay sellers advertise factory warranties for the products but there isn't always an easy way to be certain if they are legit or not.

I had an issue with a board that I bought on Ebay from an "authorized dealer" that gave me nothing but a hassle and "O'Brien" made good on the warranty in spite of this dealer. So buying from an authorized shop does not "always" guarantee good service!

I can't say enough good about how great the O'Brien company was in handling this for me!
They shipped out a new board from the factory virtually no questions asked!
When a company like O'Brien provides that kind of service it buys a mans loyalty in their product!

This spring I bought a Roam and a set of screws came with it. I thought they were just a gift from the boys I bought it from as I did not know a specific set of thumb screws were required for the Roam until I read this thread. Nothing that came with the Roam said anything about using a specific set of screws. That information to the user might be beneficial from the get go.

That is just one of the many reasons why "Wakeworld" is so helpful to the rider. "Wakeworld" is where you get the "real deal" the "Scoop" on what's what in wakeboarding.

I can't think of any place else or any other sport on or off the water that has such a knowledgeable presence and number of people like Pro riders, amateurs and manufactures so willing to help with virtually any issue.

Just pretty amazing!!!