Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 25, 2007

Old     (trx1noob)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-29-2007, 7:52 PM Reply   
Took my boat in and had the sides and high traffic area's 3m'd with the clear stuff. looks great. this was his first boat to tint, and he had problems with dust particles getting trapped in between the tint(or so he called it) and couldn't get it to come out clean. I'm kind of glad we aborted, he said the next boat he did was going to be 600 bones(canadian) I never asked what the bill would have been on my boat.lol(I told him I would square up or we would come to an agreement on the tint he wasted) I'm thinking when i head down to montana this weekend that I might hit a shop up down there (kalispell area) to do the job. for those of you that have had your windows tinted, did your dealers have any problems?? oh yeah, boat is a centurion enzo with the wrap around windows.
Old     (firemedic)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-29-2007, 8:37 PM Reply   
Any time you add tint to a window you risk getting dust between the tint and the glass. Most tinting shops just clean w/ window cleaner and then put it on. It seems like 600 is kinda steep. Good luck in MT though.
Old     (regalado1)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-29-2007, 9:14 PM Reply   
Just had mine done last week. Didn't have any problems. Came out great. He actually disassembles the entire windshield, tints and puts it back together. He's done several boats. I'm happy with it. He's located in Lathrop for anyone around the area that might be interested. I can give you his number.
Old     (wake_pirate)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-29-2007, 11:08 PM Reply   
Glass should come out, & youre not paying him to learn how to tint boats, so I wouldnt pay for wasted film.
Old     (trx1noob)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-30-2007, 5:38 AM Reply   
thanx for the response boys. Marc, i'm thinking along the same lines as you, but would like to compensate him a 50 spot or something for material. we'll see what he says. thanx once again. ryan
Old     (nauty_tique)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-30-2007, 9:21 AM Reply   
Yea I agree, shouldn't have to pay for his schooling, With a clean environment it shouldn't be that rough, only thing keeping you from doing it yourself is the curved glass. It should be easy for him though, assuming he tint's hatchbacks etc... Yea $5-600 is high considering you can get a whole car done with lifetime guarantee for half that, around here?
Old     (266crownlinebr)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-30-2007, 6:49 PM Reply   
Don't pay him. He should have known what he was getting into before he started. I wouldn't even go down there again.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-30-2007, 7:50 PM Reply   
Part of owning a business is that sometimes you lose money on deals. Don't pay him for his screw up. If he has done good work for you in the past and you want to keep a good relationship, 50 bucks isnt that much. But if he starts asking for more because he hasnt done it before, then that is his problem.
Old     (trx1noob)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-30-2007, 8:33 PM Reply   
He's actually one of my clients, and we swap work for each other. that's the only reason i would give him a 50 spot for his efforts. sucks that i dont' have tinted windows, but on the bright side in 4 days and counting she's going in the lake for the first time. told my 9 yr old and 6 yr old that they are going in the lake whether they want to or not to board behind it. the clear 3m is EXPENSIVE but should be well worth it in the long run keeping the black looking nice and scratch free. what have you guys paid for your tint in your water wagons??
Old     (regalado1)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-01-2007, 6:55 AM Reply   
$300
Old     (ridininmd)      Join Date: Jun 2006       05-01-2007, 7:08 AM Reply   
I paid $160, he didn't remove the windshield though, just back cut the weather stripping a little. there's a couple spots where it's not 100% perfect but you can't tell unless you a really looking for it.

I'd buy him a case of beer, tint is cheap and it's not you fault he doesn't know what he's doing. Even if he is your client.
Old     (martinez30)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-01-2007, 7:22 AM Reply   
Anyone know of a place in the Monterey County, Santa cruz area that will tint boat windows??
Old     (hudd007)      Join Date: May 2006       05-01-2007, 3:26 PM Reply   
any tint shop should honestly. wait, let me take that back, any RESPECTABLE tint should should. Granted its a curved surface, and fairly large, but if it was easy and flat, I'd do it myself. I wouldn't be paying someone else if joe smchoe could do it. But someone that owns a tint shop, or works in one, should be able to do it even if its in two pieces running horizontal. The back of my 95 Camaro (HUGE curved back window) was done in two pieces when i was a kid and looked great.
Old     (jv210)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-01-2007, 4:32 PM Reply   
I've tried a couple places before, and they wouldn't touch my boat.
Old     (jv210)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-01-2007, 4:32 PM Reply   
I've tried a couple places before, and they wouldn't touch my boat.
Old     (regalado1)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-01-2007, 5:36 PM Reply   
Jason, where are you located? I got this guy that has a shop in Lathrop that will do it. Just got mine back, he did a good job. Let me know if you want his number.
Old     (jv210)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-01-2007, 5:40 PM Reply   
Sounds good, what the name of the shop?
Old     (regalado1)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-02-2007, 6:26 PM Reply   
Jim Louis at Eclipse Window Tinting
17708 Murphy Parkway
Lathrop, CA 95330
209-858-2948
Old     (jpshaff01)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-03-2007, 11:52 AM Reply   
I bet your all jealous of my old crappy boat now, no curved glass so it only cost me $20