Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 09, 2008

Old     (phall925)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-26-2008, 11:53 AM Reply   
I would like to give props to both of these companies. I find it just as important to praise great service as it is to bash someone for poor service.

First, Daryl Moore Marine. Thank you for making the purchase and delivery of our new 08 VLX flawless. From the minute we began our dealing at the boat show everything was professional and forthright. They wanted to sell us a boat and they were going to make sure that we were happy in the end. During the whole build process we were kept up to date and we never felt lost in the crowd so to speak. Once the boat came back from the stereo shop the detail was quick and beautiful. All of the paper work was done through FedEx so that we never had to drive to Spring, TX except to pick up the boat. These guys are a great dealership to work with and I will definitely recommend them to anyone else.

Now, Texas Stereo. If you ever need a bumpin system in your ride, I highly recommend Tom Buist with Texas Stereo www.boatstereo.com . We sent the boat over to Tom with stereo delete. He completely built the system from the ground up and did an awesome job. Everything looks better than stock. This thing is flawless and looks extremely custom. At first I was a little skeptical about using Fosgate stuff. I have never been a huge fan. I am a believer now. I will post some pics of the completed system on Sunday.

Anyways, I just wanted to share a positive experience for anyone in the Houston Area. Any questions please post them here.

Later
Preston
Old    mendo247            03-26-2008, 12:05 PM Reply   
Glad to see your happy, i always love seeing people posting positive experiences.

Now post some pics!
Old     (alex2012)      Join Date: May 2003       03-26-2008, 5:31 PM Reply   
What tower and speakers did you go with?

Can't wait to see those pics
Old     (doug2)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-26-2008, 8:57 PM Reply   
Preston-

Did you ever figure out the best way to get gas to the dock?

Man, congrats on the new ride. Looks sharp. Definitely post some pics....
Old     (phall925)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-27-2008, 7:08 AM Reply   
Al,
Illusion tower red with 4 red wetsounds pro 60s

Doug,

I decided to go with some VP Racing cans and a wagon with air tires. not the best but I did not want another one of those gas caddy things and it is too expensive to put in my own tank.

I will have pics up Sunday. Boat is out at the lake
Old     (phall925)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-31-2008, 7:40 AM Reply   
Pics

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (phall925)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-31-2008, 7:41 AM Reply   
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (phall925)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-31-2008, 7:42 AM Reply   
Upload
Old     (trainwreck)      Join Date: Jun 2006       03-31-2008, 8:44 AM Reply   
That is a beautiful boat!

What water is that and is that a personal boat lift or are you leasing that? It doesn't look like any water I've seen in the area.
Old     (alex2012)      Join Date: May 2003       03-31-2008, 9:38 AM Reply   
Sick! What a clean install on the system.

Rock on brother!
Old     (c640947)      Join Date: Jan 2005       03-31-2008, 10:30 AM Reply   
Wish I could have had as good of an experience with DM's. Of course, most of my issues with them started occurring after I took delivery.....

If you do take your boat in for service, be prepared for it to look 2-3 years older when you get it back. They seem to have a different meaning for the term "detailing" than I do.

Oh I could go on and on. I need to find something else to do quick....

Awesome looking boat. Congrats.
Old     (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       03-31-2008, 10:36 AM Reply   
Lookin good Preston! Kenny said it sounds awesome and the wake is just nasty! Hope to see it this summer sometime
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-31-2008, 11:19 AM Reply   
I remember him buying this boan another post, I remember him being warned about service after the sale. Sounds like you werent' the only one Andrew. Some peopel forget that price isnt' the only thing to consider when buyign a boat.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       03-31-2008, 11:27 AM Reply   
Wow very impressive the boat and the install
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-31-2008, 11:45 AM Reply   
Preston - sick boat. Where are the subs?
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-31-2008, 11:47 AM Reply   
Yeah I'm curious too - where is your boat docked? I don't recognize that water. Maybe a cove neighborhood on Conroe?
Old     (phall925)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-31-2008, 12:02 PM Reply   
The Subs are under the dash the are 2 12" Fosgates under there.

Andrew, I do have to say that I am sorry that you did not have as great of an experience as I did. But I can tell you that all of the management team that I have dealt with there are first class and will make sure that you are happy when you leave.

Sam,
I think that price are service are equally important when purchasing a boat. I can tell you that the price I got from DM on a new boat that I got to order even after I added the aftermarket system was over 6K less than another Texas dealer.
Old     (phall925)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-31-2008, 12:04 PM Reply   
Subs here

Upload
Old     (watsoc)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-31-2008, 12:45 PM Reply   
That is a very clean install and your ride is freakin sweet. Nice job all around from both dealer and installer.
Old     (phall925)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-31-2008, 12:53 PM Reply   
trainwreck,

we own the slip. it is not in the Houston area. We are 2 hours west. I just live in Houston.
Old     (trainwreck)      Join Date: Jun 2006       03-31-2008, 1:10 PM Reply   
Well talk to me man, is it a personal lake? I live in Houston too... always interested in new spots if its public.

:-)
Old     (phall925)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-31-2008, 1:17 PM Reply   
Lake McQueeney?
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       03-31-2008, 3:20 PM Reply   
nice boat! love malibus.you can get to lake mcqueeney in 2 hours? you must drive fasthaha. we hang out on dunlap. im sure you will soon find out daryl moore service department is awful.
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       03-31-2008, 4:13 PM Reply   
Preston,

Looks great! Tom did a great job. Upload some pics of the custom painted PRO 60's!

Also, e mail them to me twhite@wetsounds.com and I will get your boat on our site.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (lukeduke95)      Join Date: May 2002       03-31-2008, 4:55 PM Reply   
Did you go with Blue Tops and another type of battery? Looks like stingers or Kinetics???
Old     (phall925)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-01-2008, 10:38 AM Reply   
Tim,
Her is the only pic that I have of the pro 60s. I will take some more this weekend to do them justice. All of the equipment sounds great. You guys really have a great product. I will email and post some more pic Sunday or Monday when I get home from the lake.

Thanks
Preston

Upload
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-01-2008, 11:23 AM Reply   
Looks like Tom does some great work, but if that is a pic of your boat in his shop with the JL audio banner in the background? He is not authorized to sell JL. check their site or call them directly I'm sure they'd like to see this picture.
Old     (phall925)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-01-2008, 1:38 PM Reply   
Luke there are two blue tops for the normal boat electronics ballast lights etc. Then there are two kinetics that are separate from the blue tops that run off a separate charging relay just for the stereo.

(Message edited by phall925 on April 01, 2008)
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       04-01-2008, 1:45 PM Reply   
Preston, did Tom install that dual alt. setup for you? I know for a while there he was having lucky devil make brackets for him. The boats I saw with them turned out really good.
Old     (phall925)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-01-2008, 1:47 PM Reply   
From what I understand he just ran a separate charging relay from a single alternator
Old     (hessdawg)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-03-2008, 8:14 AM Reply   
how much did this sweet install cost?????
If you don"t mind my asking
Old     (phall925)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-03-2008, 8:17 AM Reply   
2 12 Fosgate Subs with custom box and malibu logo
8 WS 650
4 Painted Pro 60s
3 Fosgate Power Series Amps with custom no wire show rack
3 Remotes
Sony Deck
Aux Input
Ipod Controller
LED Lighting outside and inside all red

tax out the door 7700
Old     (c640947)      Join Date: Jan 2005       04-03-2008, 10:02 AM Reply   
QUOTE:
---------------------------
By Preston Hall (phall925) on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 12:02 pm:

Andrew, I do have to say that I am sorry that you did not have as great of an experience as I did. But I can tell you that all of the management team that I have dealt with there are first class and will make sure that you are happy when you leave.
-------------------------------------

I was reasonable happy when I picked the boat up and when I was about at the stage you are at now. It was the 2 years since that the impression has become negative.

I guess what we are suggesting is that the more you can avoid their service department, the better of you will be. The boat being at McQueeny, you probably will use a local mechanic anyway. Or TSR, but that's even more of a drive for you.

Install looks great. Tom did a friend of mine's ride and its pretty awesome. DVD player and the whole nine yards. Another friend though has some wiring issues, but he didn't spend the $ that you guys did on it.
Old     (phall925)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-03-2008, 12:54 PM Reply   
Well TSR is not that far just about 20 min. I will say this they deserve some knocks on their service department. When I had my MC I would use them. Sometimes they would have my boat for 2 weeks and I would be coming in to pick it up and it would not be ready. Well my contacts told me that someone had bought a new boat and mine got bumped because of that. Another time I had requested their super detail and they called me two days before and said that they had to fire the detail guy. Well I asked my contact at TSR why they fired him and he told me the guy did not get fired they just did not have time to do my boat.

Now on the other side of this they did come though in a pinch for me a few times. On time my alternator went out and I took the boat to them Fri evening and they had it back on the water by noon. Also on time I needed to change a prop on a buddy's boat we could not get the prop puller to work so we took it there they took a mechanic off another job for about 30 sec he had the prop off and done never charger us a dime to do it. So I would say they are pretty fickle about service too.

As for our service: I will use DM some and a guy in Seguin some. What I plan to do is use DM if the boat is back in Houston for stereo or any other reason and use my guy in Seguin for other maint. Our guy in Seguin is an authorized Malibu mechanic that is certified to do warranty work. He will come to your house and work on the boat in the slip. Nice!
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-03-2008, 12:55 PM Reply   
$7700???!!!?? are you kidding???
Old     (phall925)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-03-2008, 12:58 PM Reply   
no, why?
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-03-2008, 1:29 PM Reply   
That's a pretty standard package, I'm surprised he's charging that much. I've seen that same work on here before. It was custom for Texas Stereo about 20 boats ago.
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-03-2008, 2:40 PM Reply   
Nice comment sam...
Old     (zhendrix)      Join Date: May 2006       04-03-2008, 10:17 PM Reply   
Boat looks good preston... Here is some work Tom did for me. Pretty similar except I went with Lucky Devil Bandidos for the tower and 1 15 Kicker Sub. I'd hate to tell you what I paid though... Sorry the pics are so blurry
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (joshbuzz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       04-04-2008, 12:54 AM Reply   
Andrew,

just bring that beautiful X2 by HMC and we'll take care of you!!

Where are you at on Lake Houston?? I ride with Erik Nikstad a lot now, he's actually going to be my room mate next year, and I know he lives on Lake Houston. I was out there for the GCWA event not to long ago to.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-04-2008, 1:45 AM Reply   
Get a clue Sam. First off you don't have any idea if you think 7700 is over the top for a system of that spec. Second even if you were right, nice way to kill his buzz.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       04-04-2008, 5:57 AM Reply   
Josh, I live right around the corner ( north) from Nickstad. andrew is proabbly 5 min down ( north) the shorline from me.
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-04-2008, 6:00 AM Reply   
I think Zach just confirmed that's pretty standard for Texas Stereo. I said it looks good , but I wont't embarass anyone by listing out cost on those steero components. Good for Texas Stereo if they can get way with charging those prices. Darren, don't take this the wrong way, but I know alot more than you proabbly think.
Old     (olskooltige)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-04-2008, 6:22 AM Reply   
I would say 7700 is high too considering the cost of the equipment is probably under 2.5k.
Old     (phall925)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-04-2008, 6:54 AM Reply   
Steve,

Don't forget that there are two kinetic batteries in there along with two optimas. Those WS 6.5" cost 190 + tax per pair and there are 4 pairs of them in the boat plus the custom paint of the 2 pairs of pro 60's. Also the Fosgate is the upgraded Power series not the standard stuff that is in Malibu. I will say this that box is 100% Custom I saw him build it. Also he doesn't use cheap ass MDF I believe the boxes are birch and then fiberglassed the covered in carpet. Not trying to attack you I am just defending the thought that that equipment is less than 2.5K.
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-04-2008, 7:00 AM Reply   
honestly, now that i'm thibnking about it, the only thing that matters is that you like the outcome and are comfortable with the price you paid, Preston...
Old     (phall925)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-04-2008, 7:05 AM Reply   
David, I agree that it is alot of money. And also I agree that there are alot of people on this site that could do it just as good themselves. Unfortunately I like to screw with stereo but I am not good at it and it always turns out less than anticipated. So for someone like me I have to pay that extra amount to get it done right. Once again not attacking just defending
Old     (billy2603)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-04-2008, 9:14 AM Reply   
Not everyone can get equipment at cost, so 2.5k is way low ball for what we normal people could expect to pay for that list. A quick eyeball would put that at ~4k retail. Add in batteries, wiring, etc and you are looking at ~5k+ before install comes into play.

I think it looks freaking nice with all of the wiring hidden, battery boxes, and red mounting backs. Have fun showing it off!
Old     (joshbuzz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       04-04-2008, 10:26 AM Reply   
very nice, Nickstad's on his way up to college station now, and we're going to hit the Dallas Supercross event tomorrow, should be fun!!
Old     (buguru)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-04-2008, 12:04 PM Reply   
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (c640947)      Join Date: Jan 2005       04-07-2008, 9:59 AM Reply   
i got a quote from Texas Stereo and have seen their work firsthand. If you want it done right and dont wanna mess with it, pay up and they'll do it. i have only heard once of some of their stuff not being top notch, but their was some existing stuff in that install, so who knows? Plus, I prefer the auto solenoid (sp?) switch to the manual perko switch - people always forget to change the manual switch. I have never had a problem with my solenoid.

Josh - yeah I have ridden with Nikstad some. Like Adam said I live up the lake from him (and Adam) in Indian Shores. Bring one of those X-35s out to Lake Houston sometime and let's check it out. I am hearing the wake is awesome. We'll sack it out and see for ourselves....
Old     (jixxxer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-07-2008, 2:13 PM Reply   
Beautiful boat and awesome stereo system preston!!!!