Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 02, 2007

Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-24-2007, 9:24 PM Reply   
ok so I'm working on my basics, and I'm trying to figure out how to go from riding regular to sliding sideways. when I try to move my back foot around to being even it feels like the fins are keeping me from doing it and I took my fins off. Any advice?
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-24-2007, 9:31 PM Reply   
try a lil more weight on ur heels, that way you wont get so much fin in the water. Using 2 hands may help too. ur trailing hand will add tension trying to pull ur tail around, that may help get it there. once you get it sideways, just keep everything the way it is until ur ready to be done w/ it. thas my take on it anyway
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-24-2007, 9:31 PM Reply   
What board are you on? ARE the fins dragging?
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-24-2007, 9:33 PM Reply   
I am on a kink 144 and I took off the finns, but it has molded ones
Old     (whitie)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-24-2007, 11:14 PM Reply   
Get in a half seated position with both hands on the handle.(When you spuat it helps you even your wieght on the board.)
Take the handle and push it to your rear hip at the same tme you wan't to push your rear foot forward and transfer your wieght to your now rear foot.

good luck
Old    mcnoob            05-24-2007, 11:45 PM Reply   
Try holding the bar with just your right hand, this will naturally pull you round to the left. Turn with your hips, as it comes round keep on your heels (unless you wana face plant). I got massive fins on an old obrien board so fins shouldnt be to much of a problem..
I still haven't managed to stay upright switched tho!
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       05-25-2007, 1:56 AM Reply   
What Greg said. Something to help when leaning, have the driver slow the boat to about 13-14 mph.
Old    wakejjboard12            05-25-2007, 6:59 AM Reply   
it helped me to learn it at the top of the wake. fins broke loose way easier.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-25-2007, 7:07 AM Reply   
I'm thinking the opposite than everyone else. I do the same thing on that exact board.

Try getting weight off of your heels and on the the center of the board. Let the tow edge sit closer to the water (not too low) and you should feel the board drag stop, and smooth out. I think you're dragging your heel edge and the heel edge molded fins. The only way to get away from that is to get up on the very cnter of the board.
Old     (ronnyboy27)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-25-2007, 7:53 AM Reply   
You could buy the book and watch Keith Lyman do it perfect. (I hope it's Keith that is wearing the orange shorts in video or I'm going to look dumb.)
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       05-25-2007, 7:55 AM Reply   
agree w/ Jrod. if you center your weight rail to rail, you can slide the bottom surface, and stay off the edge and your moldeds. try it on the lip to get the hang of sliding it

(Message edited by denverd1 on May 25, 2007)
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-25-2007, 8:15 AM Reply   
Do it on your way out of the water...I usually slide for the first 50 feet out of the water before I switch to my regular stance anyway...the boat is going slow so its much easier...like was said before, keep those toes up and heels down unless you wanna face full of water. This will also allow you to more easily move to your switch stance...when going from your slide to switch, dropping your back hand is the easiest way to maintain correct body position (for me). All I can say is start riding switch right now, because if you ever want to progress your riding its a must...I'm having to relearn tons of stuff switch because I neglected it when I first started riding.
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-25-2007, 8:16 AM Reply   
thanks for all the help guys, I have the book but it is different seeing it and actually doing it. I will be trying all of your advice when I'm out this weekend :-)
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-25-2007, 8:18 AM Reply   
yea I can easily do it right out of the water for as long as I want but I want to try to, it just after I turn going back to it I have the problem
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-25-2007, 9:05 AM Reply   
Set you board on the floor and look underneath, you'll see why the weight should be even on the board. If you put weight on the heels, the board will push water as it drags the molded fins. It still works, and it's safer, but you wont get that smooth slide you're looking for.

Going slower will unfortunately have the same result....drag.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-25-2007, 9:45 AM Reply   
What J-rod said but will say that going slower makes it a WHOLE LOT easier.

I learned to surface 360 both ways going 13mph.It's just really easy to relax since the falls don't hurt at 13mph.I used to do a little 2 minute run before my set going 13mph and when I feel comfortable,just give a sign to the boat driver to speed up to regular speed.Now I have no problem spinning either way.