Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 19, 2005

Old     (gypsy12)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-30-2005, 7:32 PM Reply   
Can anyone suggest a good instructional DVD for an "intermediate" rider? I just started last summer and caught on quickly, but haven't been progressing much... just barely clearing the wake heelside. I'd like to get a hold of a DVD with some basics on board control & what not. Thanks!
Old    walt            05-30-2005, 7:35 PM Reply   
The Book.
Old     (sixeye)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-30-2005, 7:44 PM Reply   
I've always liked Shaun Murray's "Detention" DVDs. I picked up Darin Shapiro's "Waketrix" this season and found it to be excellent as well. Both are good for beginner through expert. Shaun's is more entertaining but I think Darin's might be a little more instructional. Best bet? Get both IMHO.

Old    jhair            05-30-2005, 9:48 PM Reply   
The Book is much better than Detention or Higher Education. The section on edging drills will help you develop a strong edge to clear the wake. Can't comment on Waketrix as I haven't seen it.

(Message edited by jhair on May 30, 2005)
Old     (nlitworld)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-30-2005, 11:03 PM Reply   
If you have the cash to spend, The Book would be your best bet. It is a bit too methodical, so that's why I like Detention a little better. Gives you the basic skills you need to execute tricks, and breaks it up with humor here and there. In the end, they are all good instructional videos, and you should be happy with any that you purchase.
Old     (msasser)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-31-2005, 2:00 AM Reply   
ive seen detention and higher education. detention had its entertianing parts, but overall i thought it was a weak instructional video. it basically told you what stuff was, instead of showing you how to do it. higher education was good. i havent seen waketrix or the book, but ill bet the book is amazing, and you can buy a dvd just for your specific needs, like, if you arent ready to really spin, or invert, you can go wtih the second dvd, and that will get you to next step. i think im going to get the second dvd this summer. good luck
Old     (gypsy12)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-31-2005, 8:06 AM Reply   
Thanks guys! This helps. At least now I have some titles & input.
Old    wickedwake            05-31-2005, 10:07 AM Reply   
I have Waketrix and it is awsome! I just got the Book today so cant comment on it so far, but what I have seen is great. But for about 20$ Waketrix is hard to beat!
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-31-2005, 1:11 PM Reply   
Detention is good for a visual learner. It is also really entertaining and for the money is a really great instruction. The Book is very good at explaining the moves, but is really pretty dry to sit and watch. It is also pricey, but youcan buy individual sections.

Eric
Old     (actiondcpd)      Join Date: Apr 2003       05-31-2005, 3:18 PM Reply   
Tara,

I will also suggest The Book. It is a very good instructional video. It is extremely detailed and really has some great information.
Old    wickedwake            06-09-2005, 8:18 PM Reply   
Finally watched "The Book" and it IS the shiz, get it!