Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       10-14-2010, 12:26 PM Reply   
So I'm getting ready to do some Fall riding last week and I can't seem to find my heater top. Now I'm in the market for a new one, but I just can't believe how expensive they are, especially compared to full size wetsuits.

In some cases the heater top is actually more expensive than a thicker full size wetsuit from the same brand. Why on earth would they charge $89 for a 1.5mm top when a 3/2mm full size suit from the same brand is $79? This makes absolutely no sense to me. Am I missing something?
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-14-2010, 12:30 PM Reply   
usually heater tops are more flexible and less restrictive.
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       10-14-2010, 12:34 PM Reply   
So that makes them more expensive?
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-14-2010, 12:49 PM Reply   
people pay more for what they want more. how come a bikini is more than pants and a shirt?
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       10-14-2010, 12:51 PM Reply   
Touche.......
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       10-14-2010, 12:59 PM Reply   
I got a brand new hyperlite 2mm heater top off ebay for $23 shipped. Might want to look around some more before dropping ~100 on one.
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       10-14-2010, 1:29 PM Reply   
Was it the one with red sleeves? Yeah, I saw that one and it was indeed a smoking deal, but they don't have the size I need.

I ended up buying a Billabong 2mm heater top for $50 FROM Hansen's Surf shop. It was $59, but I found an online coupon code for 15% off and it actually worked!
Old     (sexyws6mama)      Join Date: Mar 2008       10-14-2010, 1:55 PM Reply   
ebay.............
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       10-14-2010, 2:45 PM Reply   
After years of riding a heater top, I would recommend getting a long sleeve shorty. They offer more warmth, protection for "da boys" and in my opinion are a lot more comfortable (I hate how heater tops move around). I went to a surf shop and tried on a bunch (as they all do fit different), and ended up with an O'neill, best $90 I ever spent.
Old     (nuckledragger)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-14-2010, 5:18 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by nauty View Post
So that makes them more expensive?
It can. Different material costs drive the price. The 3/2 suit may be made from standard rubber, while the heater top may be "superflex" rubber. Doesn't make one better than the other neccessarily just because it is superflex.

Look at the boardshort market, prices from $30 to $100 for trunks. The $60 -$100 range are super stretch, show your package to the world, fabric. Not necessarily more functional or more durable but definitely a higher material cost, which in turn drives the retail price. Now the marketing engines are trying to convince everyone that they need overengineered trunks.

....stepping off my soapbox quietly....