Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 28, 2009

Old     (wake26)      Join Date: Mar 2009       07-17-2009, 7:43 AM Reply   
Is it worth the upgrade from wakeboard pro to the Star Gazer. I am having trouble with the boat keeping speed PP seem to think that I have a bad paddle wheel system. So do I just buy a new paddle wheel or pay a couple hundred more and get the Star Gazer?
Old     (huntingwiley)      Join Date: Dec 2008       07-17-2009, 8:19 AM Reply   
I have been wondering about this also. I have been considering the upgrade.
Old     (insuranceman)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-17-2009, 8:52 AM Reply   
i switched to stargazer last year after having so many problems with perfect pass. my install was a simple plug and play. i love it compared to perfect pass.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-17-2009, 9:23 AM Reply   
If you ride in current (river), you will want to stay with the paddle wheel - water speed is way more important than land/air/GPS speed with wakes. The gazer seems more accurate in straight line runs than the wheel, somewhat debatable on turns as both have issues. Like sat tv, the signal can be interupted, especially if you have someone sitting near the puck, but for the most part this doesn't happen often and can be mitigated by keeping people, towels, away from puck.

If you are having problems with the wheel, might be worth the upgrade if you ride in still water. If the wheel works for you, I don't think the upgrade is worth it.
Old     (sinkoumn)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-17-2009, 9:27 AM Reply   
How long is the cable that connects the puck to the master module? Is it long enough that you can run the cable through your tower and mount the puck on the top of the tower?
Old     (wake26)      Join Date: Mar 2009       07-17-2009, 9:56 AM Reply   
All the riding that I do is on lakes just wondering if it will keep the speed better than the PP pro right know it varies about 2 mph either side of the set point and I have ajusted everything possible to get it to work better.
Old     (wakeborder5)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-17-2009, 10:05 AM Reply   
around how much does the upgrade run?
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-17-2009, 12:06 PM Reply   
http://www.perfectpass.com/perfect_pass_products.html

Star Gazer Upgrade (Wake Edition or Three Event edition)

Mechanical Upgrade* $469
Drive by Wire Engines** $489
New Multi Line Display (if required) $199

(Message edited by hate&pain on July 17, 2009)
Old     (dhcomp)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-17-2009, 2:11 PM Reply   
No reason to put the puck on top of the tower. Mount it on the dash corner right under the windshield, or just in front of the windshield on the hull.
Old     (sordave)      Join Date: May 2002       07-17-2009, 2:14 PM Reply   
I like it much better. I had problems holding surf speeds with the paddle wheel. Our puck is mounted on the dash and works through the bimini top
Old     (wake26)      Join Date: Mar 2009       07-17-2009, 2:14 PM Reply   
is it still worth it?
Old     (drilldaddy78)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-17-2009, 3:53 PM Reply   
Absolutely worth it. I just installed pp on my boat. not knocking the paddle wheel but GPS is much better from what i hear. Gary at pp said it gets signal from 10-15 sattelites so never any issues with being down. Its more accurate than my iphones speed app
Old     (wakeborder5)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-17-2009, 5:09 PM Reply   
I don't have an iphone, but I wouldn't have guessed it's the bar for gps speed calibration

..it's not really good is it? lol
Old     (ktm525)      Join Date: Mar 2009       07-17-2009, 5:58 PM Reply   
I just ordered the pp stargazer today. It will be here on Tuesday. They were great people there and very helpful. I will tell you how the install goes and how it works next week. I have a 2005 sea ray 220 select i/o. My profile pix shows the boat.
Old     (carter13)      Join Date: Feb 2009       07-17-2009, 6:32 PM Reply   
I have the stargazer on my 05 Avy and love it.
It is very accurate and awesome.
Old     (drilldaddy78)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-17-2009, 6:33 PM Reply   
Actually Ray, my phone is spot on my truck. Just saying star gazer is accurate to tenths of mph
Old     (toadieboy13)      Join Date: Jun 2009       07-17-2009, 10:55 PM Reply   
I just installed the Stargazer on an '03 Avalanche. I like it but it does vary a good .5 to 1 mph either direction (and that is with not much weight). I still need to mess with the "k" setting and maybe that will clear it up.

As mentioned earlier, if you are riding in a river with a measurable current than maybe Stargazer is not the best option for you as you would have to adjust PP speed setting for going with or against current. Stargazer does have RPM mode though.
Old     (liquiddiet)      Join Date: Feb 2009       07-18-2009, 3:39 AM Reply   
What about bridges? anyone know if PP will cut out when going under bridges?
Old     (lakemiltonwake08)      Join Date: Oct 2008       07-18-2009, 7:24 AM Reply   
It will lose signal under bridges. But that's only a 2-3 second jump anyways then it will catch itself.
Old     (toadieboy13)      Join Date: Jun 2009       07-18-2009, 7:58 AM Reply   
We were riding the other day and passing under a low 2-lane bridge... I did not notice it cutting out at all.

We have our Garmin puck mounted between the windshield and the right side of the dash. It's out of the way, you don't really notice it, and it has an almost completely unblocked view of the sky.
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       07-18-2009, 8:07 AM Reply   
I've noticed it does lose signal under bridges sometimes. Speed increases for a bit......
Old     (wstr01)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-18-2009, 6:07 PM Reply   
Anyone try it in the coves with high walls on Lake Powell? My boat GPS (don't ask) and my hand held Garmin lose signal all the time there.
Old     (ghind)      Join Date: Jun 2009       07-19-2009, 12:57 AM Reply   
PP has an EXCELLENT gps receiver. It is really sensitive and works perfectly where others don't. It will even lock on inside my shed which is all metal, as long as the door is open!

The supplied high quality 5hz Garmin GPS unit will allow you to connect an external antenna but none of my customers have needed it.

Gazer is great. It is a much nicer system, better to use and nicer interface. The 2009 software is also quite an improvement, although I can't say specifically what is different to wakeboard mode as my work has been more on slalom
Old     (wake26)      Join Date: Mar 2009       07-19-2009, 2:29 PM Reply   
were any of you guys having trouble with your PP before you went to the Star Gazer
Old     (insuranceman)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-19-2009, 3:04 PM Reply   
jarod, got you email the other day and i tried to email you back, and it got kicked out.

i had ton's of problems with pp on my 07 x2. contacted pp and they advised me that i had a bad master module, and they would give me a discounted price on a new module since mine was out of warranty. (1year and 3 months)

i ended up getting them to give me stargazer at a slight reduced rate. now mine was a simple 5 minutes install with plug and play but i have been thrilled with stargazer