Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-30-2012, 8:36 AM Reply   
For wakeboarding.

Dont care for the slant backs of the 90's Nauti sports/skis

What comparable boat would have a good reliable DD and put out a decent wake similar to the SN2001 for under $10K? Malibu? My friend had a MC, nice but motor was a money pit.

Last edited by rexlex01; 03-30-2012 at 8:40 AM.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-30-2012, 9:28 AM Reply   
Well I am not sure I would judge mastercraft on one faulty engine. In my opinion in the 80's there was no boat built even close to as good as a Mastercraft and that includes Nautiques. That being said the 80's and early 90's MAstercrafts quite possibly had the best ski wakes ever created and are not very good for wakeboarding. They are too low of profile to add enough weight to get a good wake.

Here are some older direct drives I believe will make a pretty good wake.

95-97 Mastercraft Prostar 190-this hull had a little more freeboard and is the same basic hull as the 205v. The 205 hull is based off the 190 and is just a little bigger. With weight it should throw a pretty solid wake.
Nautique 2001-I don't think I really need to write down much other then legendary wake, be carefull of rotted stringers and floors
Late 80's-early 90's Malibu Sunsetter/Sunsetter Euro F3-I am not sure the wake is really that amazing but it is a bigger boat with open bow. Wood stringers and floor.
Any Supra Sunsport-They still make this same basic hull. Huge amounts of freeboard so you can add lots of weight. Like the nautique and Malibu watch for rot in the floor and stringers.
Sanger DX or DXii-low freeboard but a deeper v hull so it shouldn't need as much weight. These have wood stringers but by all accounts Sanger was the only one who used the correct type of wood and I am not sure there is many instances of wood rot on these. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
Sanger DLX-Slightly larger then the DX or DXii, open bow, same deal with hull. Same hull as V210. Would be an effecient wakemaker. Might be hard to find for 10k and only on west coast most likely.
Hydrodyne Elite-Nick Tomsyck(probably botched the spelling, sorry Nick) had one and it made a pretty good wake and was a good solid boat I belive he said. Not sure if they have wood.
Hydrodyne Grand Sport-Nice open bow boat. Built like a tank, high enough freeboard to get enough weight to make a great wake. Some had the GT40 which is probably the best tournament boat motor ever made. This would probably be my choice if I could find one for about 10k.

I am sure I missed a coule boats.
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       03-30-2012, 10:54 AM Reply   
I've got an 82 2001 that has been totally refreshed including the stringers that I will sell you. Never have tried to sell it but just found something else to buy. Lets make a deal.
Old     (tripsw)      Join Date: May 2006       03-30-2012, 8:11 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexlex01 View Post
What comparable boat would have a good reliable DD and put out a decent wake similar to the SN2001 for under $10K?
None. Supra might be your best bet, especially if you need some more space/open bow. But as far as wake, look no further.
Old     (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-31-2012, 12:34 PM Reply   
What is the history on the Hydrodynes?
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-31-2012, 1:01 PM Reply   
Hydrodyne has quite a big if history in watersports if I am correct. They made boats back in the 60's or 70's that were I/O's I believe that were really low profile but had a good following(I think). Anyways in the early 90's they started making boats again although I have no idea if the new company had anything to do with the older company other then the name. They only made 22 models in the 90's from around 1990 to 1997 or so. The was one model which was a 19 or 20 foot closed bow direct drive(dyne comp or something like that I think) and a grand sport that was a 21'(I think) open bow. One of the first boats I rode behind was a grand sport with a ten foot pole and abotu 1000 extra pounds. At the time the wake seemed huge and solid. I think I would compare the wake(quality wisse at least, not sure about shape) to the 205 mastercraft or sport nautique. The boats had kind of weird open bow that just had a seat on each side vs the full U or V that is standard in most open bows. The boat I rode behind had the PCM Gt40 which has way more then enough power and is one of the most reliable motors ever made. the boat had a very solid and smooth feel to it from what I remember. The styling was kind of old school as the deck was complately flat with a windshield kind of like the mid to late 90's NAutiques. The biggest downfall of the boat was basically no storage from what I remember. IT would be sweet to get one and rebuild the back seat so the cushion can lift up to the deck level and make a sunpad as well as leave room underneath for a 750 or 1000 pound sack. then figure out how to get 500-750 in the front and you would have amacking wake with sacks that arent' right where you want to walk all the time.
The boat has enough freeboard to get 1500-2000 pounds in and not feel scared that it was going to get swamped.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-31-2012, 1:04 PM Reply   
pic of a grand sport

I think this is Nick Tomsycks closed bow Hydrodyne. I guess his was called a legacy.
Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       04-01-2012, 10:42 AM Reply   
Yep Hydrodynes are great if you can find one. I just put some sacs in mine the other day i borrowed from a buddy. Put int 2 600 pound sacs on either side of the engine and had about 600 to 700 pounds of people in the boat as well.. made the wake a bit steep but could be ramped out with some weight up front. Storage is an issue. But for the price of the boat and quality you cant go wrong with the GrandSport Elite
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-01-2012, 11:25 AM Reply   
Cobalt tried out the ski/towboat market in the late 90s, and they used the old Hydrodyne Grand Sport molds for the hull. The top deck was a new design, but it shows Hydrodyne had a pretty decent hull design. My question always was if they used wood stringers and flooring, or if it was a 100% composite boat.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...45&postcount=8