Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-04-2012, 9:52 AM Reply   
I've got a feeling my slingshot recoil is down to its last few sets before it finally dies, so I figured I should start shopping for something new.....

I've really like riding the recoil - for the last 3-4 years but may want to switch it up now.....
I rode the Roam for like 2 years before going to slingshot, so I've been on flexboards for a long time now.... just wondering if it might be time to try something stiff again (thats what she said).

... I rode the Monarch before and loved it but this was only at the cable when I lived in Florida, now that I am in Wisco again cable riding is like 5% of my riding.

Any suggestions or comments on the boards listed above, I'm open to other suggestions but would like the following:

Loose (I usually ride my slingshot finless) - I can edge with fins
3-stage rocker - this rocker + old 210 wake is great for going straight up and down.... not a big fan of landing in the flats unless I have to
Low swing weight - spinning is tough for me as it is, so hoping on some tank of board probably won't help me
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       06-04-2012, 10:06 AM Reply   
I rode a monarch for one season and really liked it. If I were to get one, I would try to find a 2009. They were still PVC cores back then and I think the binding configuration fits modern (6") bindings. The 2008 is set up for 8 inch.

As for your special requests, consider the following.

Loose: Something with removable fins will give you the most flexibility to dial-in how you want it to ride
3 stage: 3 stage can be decieving. Not all 3 stages are slow (poppy). Make sure you try a few before you commit.
Low swing weight: the easiest way to drop swing weight is to drop a size or at least ride a board that your weight is on the high end for.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-04-2012, 10:26 AM Reply   
Quote:
Loose (I usually ride my slingshot finless) - I can edge with fins
<--- this was suppose to say "I can edge without fins" .... I haven't had a board with fins/bottom features in about 5 years
Old     (logan)      Join Date: Dec 2011       06-04-2012, 9:07 PM Reply   
Check out the Slingshot Hooke. I bet you would feel super comfortable on it and it will be more aggressive than your recoil.
Old     (tahoeguy7)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-05-2012, 8:49 AM Reply   
You may want to look into the Byerly Blunt. It is basically a stiff board, but it does have some flext to it. Especially on the tip and tail. I have been riding it behind the boat and love it.
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       06-05-2012, 11:38 AM Reply   
A slightly lower swing weight will not help you. I used to think the same thing, so I bought a board that's a little too small for me. The landings are hard and it didn't make me any better at spinning. Now, I realize it was never the board that was holding me back. If you want to spin well, it's all on you.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-05-2012, 10:51 PM Reply   
Slingshot Lyman maybe!
Old     (logan)      Join Date: Dec 2011       06-05-2012, 11:21 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakerider111 View Post
Slingshot Lyman maybe!
He wants a loose board, in my experience with my Lyman it's not loose. Not super locked in but nowhere near my recoil.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-06-2012, 5:57 AM Reply   
Quote:
A slightly lower swing weight will not help you
Tell that to my time spent riding the old 3DS

Quote:
Slingshot Lyman maybe!
I've tried this board once before (not much of a sampling) but it was almost too fast and did feel really locked in.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-06-2012, 5:59 AM Reply   
Quote:
You may want to look into the Byerly Blunt. It is basically a stiff board, but it does have some flext to it. Especially on the tip and tail. I have been riding it behind the boat and love it.
Hopefully someone local has on for a demo - sounds like it could be a winner.

FWIW my favorite board of all time, bar none, an old DNA core Hyperlite Byerly.... It was green and had a witch being burned on it..... best board ever made.