Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old    surfdad            10-18-2009, 12:02 PM Reply   
I'm eventually going to use a mold to create a sandwich board. One of the steps is wrapping the rails with the high density skin. Divinycell has "no" shear strength and will tear or crack if the radius is too small. Dcell can be thermoformed, but I don't have access to anything large enough to heat the skin. In a cold molding situation, thinning the skin out using sandpaper allows the same forming ability.

This is just the section of the nose on the bottom, I'll do the same thing "basically" on the deck.

Upload
Upload
Old    surfdad            10-19-2009, 7:34 PM Reply   
It seems to be working well. The deck skin in the bag.

Upload
Old    surfdad            10-20-2009, 7:59 PM Reply   
1.5 pounds, and when the skin is trimmed "correctly" (not something I'm good at :-) ), the blank is basically done out of the bag.

Upload
Old    surfdad            10-20-2009, 8:06 PM Reply   
This stuff drapes so nice!

Upload

Although it has a touch of psychedelic happening :-)

Upload
Old    surfdad            10-21-2009, 9:03 AM Reply   
The Carbon / Kevlar fabrics are "billed" as addressing some of the weaknesses of Carbon alone. CF is stiff, compared to other fabrics, but also has low impact resistance. Typically requiring a layer of 4 oz e glass over the top to help. CF is also most typically offered as a 6 oz fabric, so in combination with a 4 oz e-glass a single layer of CF becomes 10 oz. If the laminate stack were originally 3 - 10 oz layers of fiberglass, replacing that with a single layer of 6 oz CF and a single layer of 4 oz e glass would result in substantial weight savings. Not so much if the replaced laminate stack is double 4 oz e glass.

Kevlar has superior impact resistance and tends to be the lightest fabric based on thickness. The design of this hybrid is to combine the stiffness of Carbon with the impact resistance of Kevlar in a single fabric. Often times in composites, a layer of Kevlar and then another layer of Carbon was used to achieve this combination, but with a weight penalty.

Kevlar has a few shortcomings, one is that it is almost unworkable in hand lay ups as it requires special cutting and doesn't sand. Another is that it rapidly degrades when exposed to UV.

I've laminated the deck with an translucent UV inhibitor in the epoxy, hopefully the Kevlar doesn't turn to junk! :-)

Upload
Old    surfdad            10-22-2009, 8:12 AM Reply   
I intentionally ran the fabric on opposite biases on the top and bottom, but that makes for an ugly looking lap. With fiberglass it's clear and doesn't matter so much, but with this fabric being visible after lamination the seam looks sloppy. It gave me a HUGE appreciation for the Aviso boards where there isn't a visible seam.

Upload

A "2 pound"'er before boxes.

Upload
Old     (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       10-22-2009, 11:15 AM Reply   
SD ,
is Aviso seam on the rail of do they use a 50" cloth and the seam may be down the middle??
Old    surfdad            10-22-2009, 11:43 AM Reply   
Could be brewkettle. We were down at Dana Point awhile back and stopped in to Killer Dana. They had a 5-10 TRXTR by Jeff Johnston in the Aviso construction. I looked up and down and side-to-side and couldn't find the seam. My old bifocaled eyes aren't what the used to be, but I think those folks do a great job of aligning the weave.
Old     (hawaj)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-23-2009, 6:47 AM Reply   
nice

btw you can add UV resistant Clear gloss paint on top

http://www.createforless.com/Krylon+UV-Resistant+Clear+Gloss+11+oz/pid19934.aspx?utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=cse
Old    surfdad            10-23-2009, 7:32 AM Reply   
Isn't that stuff cool?! I tested this once last year over the Zylon. The Acrylic spray is moisture resitant, but not water proof, perse. After it had been in the water for a bit it bubbled and peeled off. That would be a great concept for displaying these cool fabrics, though.
Old    surfdad            10-24-2009, 6:37 PM Reply   
It didn't break! :-) Super fast, a tad light for aerials today when the wind kicked up. It wound up 4.5 with fins and traction. The board was very fast down-the-line and rail-to-rail. Looking forward to riding it again when the wind is less.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload