Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 07, 2006

Old     (hoosairboy)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-01-2006, 4:54 AM Reply   
I was reading the winter X Games thread and it made me think it would be interesting to see what people think would make wake comps more interesting. Forgive me if this thread has already appeared but I don't get a chance to read everyone every day for the last three years.

I am interested in what people have seen work and what they think would work. I am curious for what you would like to see at the pro comps and what you would like to see at the grassroot level.

It can expand beyond the water. What would you like to see happening away from the water at the events since watching 2 or 3 days of comps at any level can be very challenging.
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-01-2006, 6:20 AM Reply   
One thing I have noticed about competitions is a lot of down time between riders. Perhaps it would be better if there were two tow boats and as soon as one rider finished, then the other boat could take off.

Couple that with the distance riders must travel down a lake which makes it tough to actually see them at some points. When the Tour stopped in Indy, we set up camp in front of the Ranger slider since that seemed like it would provide the most interesting views.

Wakeboarding is a tough spectator sport.
Old     (melanie)      Join Date: Apr 2001       02-01-2006, 10:20 AM Reply   
My favorite am comp WAS Board Bonanza in TN but its not the same anymore. You would have to actually be on a boat to even get to where the comp was being held which was in a cove. There was a small houseboat that had all the prizes on it and they cooked up grub on the houseboat for everyone too. Attatched to that was a floating dock where the riders would start off from. All the specator boats tied up on either side of the houseboat and when it was your turn to ride you'd just jump in and swim on over to the dock with your gear. It was very wild. Very fun. Its in the video Scrubs of the South.
Things ive seen that were fun at different comps include;
Fake bull riding.
Rock climbing wall.
Bands performing live.
Quiz questions with shwag prizes.
Skate comp going on at the same time as the wakeboarding comp.
I'd love to play around with a dunk tank during a comp. Especially a pro stop. Dunk some pros. Havent seen that done yet.