Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 07, 2006

Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       01-29-2006, 6:35 AM Reply   
Anyone ride there between Denton and Cambridge?
Was wondering how the conditions are?
Looks like a quiet little river with mostly fishermen.
I might try it out this summer. Anyone know the best boat ramps near Denton?
Old    dclems            01-29-2006, 12:22 PM Reply   
I don't know about the Choptank, it's pretty dirty. We ride the Wye river it's a little closer to the bay bridge. Same type deal all fishermen, glass middle of the day on the weekends... pretty sweet.
Old     (djiali)      Join Date: Aug 2005       01-30-2006, 3:25 AM Reply   
njskier, don't have the answer for you, but we have a few guys from MD on http://www.dcwake.com they might be able to help out. I've posted the message up on our boards, I'll let you know if we get you an answer.
dan, if you've got some spots in MD, we'd love to know about them on DCWake.com
Old    dclems            01-30-2006, 5:58 AM Reply   
wade, sounds good i'll check it out right now.
njskier, i was thinking and basically any river on the eastern shore is going to be really calm and just fishermen. there isn't a really big recreational boating scene there. where we road on the wye river was pretty dirty too and not very deep. but if you get tired in the middle of the day you can throw over some crab lines and catch dinner. i saw people coming back to the ramp with several bushell's full.
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       01-30-2006, 5:49 PM Reply   
Wade, thanks I'll check out that site too.

Dan, I saw the Choptank up near Denton for the first time today. Yes, it looks a bit dirty, maybe it gets cleaner the more you go south?

Do you know anything about the ramp at Wye landing? Is the river good for boarding around there? Can I launch my v-drive from there?
Sorry so many questions, but I don't know the area very well yet.
Old     (ethomass)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-30-2006, 6:12 PM Reply   
njskier,
This is eric, i ride with dan most, well all the time. Yeah no problem launching the v-drive we had our Outback an X2 and B52 with us. Water was 6-8' where we were boarding. Going down the Wye river it only gets deeper and only commercial crab boats.

Our local mastercraft dealer (Bay Watersports) owner has a house on the wye where he conducts clinics and all.

My uncle just finished building a house a little further down the river as well he has a 2003 Wakesetter i will finally be able to ride behind. The house is acutally across the river from where my grandfather lived when i was growing up (and first learned how to waterski) Uncle and Grandfather swear by the Wye

To answer your question i blieve it would get better the further down you went. But you must remember the river opens up more being vulnerable to winds.
Old     (rockledge)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-01-2006, 8:03 AM Reply   
I know of where you speak only through others and their pictures. You will make some people very unhappy if you head up the Choptank.

I hear that the conditions there are sweet!
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-01-2006, 3:07 PM Reply   
Chase, Who will I make unhappy, the crabbers and fishermen? The Choptank is 25 miles long from Denton to Cambridge. Do you think I can stay clear of them and still have a good area to ride?

Eric, Since you have some knowledge of the Wye, should I forget the Choptank and just ride there? My camper will be in Greensboro, how far is that from the Wye landing ramp? Is the Wye cleaner than the Choptank? Thanks.
Old     (rockledge)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-02-2006, 8:28 AM Reply   
NJskier

Riders!!! If you go too far up stream it'll be like Apocalyse Now. I know the dude who is the Kurtz of the Upper Chop. He and his crew might be some of the best riders in Md. If you do venture up there, be sure and bring your A game.

Crabbers & fishermen ain't nothing to worry about.
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-02-2006, 4:53 PM Reply   
I was thinking of using the ramp at Martinak state park. Is that near the other riders?
If they're willing to teach, maybe they can give me some tips? I just started riding last year and my son wants to learn this year.
You and Eric ride the Wye, right? Maybe I'll catch-up with you guys this summer.
Old     (rockledge)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-02-2006, 4:58 PM Reply   
Of course I'm having a little fun.

Seriously, Go to 540club.com and talk to the admin guy (Kirk). He's got a place somewhere up there and he says it is the best conditions he's ever seen. And he rides all over Maryland. He runs with a crew of other excellent riders. I've always found him to be very friendly and helpful. But he does consider that his special get away.
Old     (ethomass)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-02-2006, 7:22 PM Reply   
Njskier,
I ride the wye every once in a while, maybe more often this summer. Wye Landing (public ramp) is around 30-45 mins from Greensboro accroding to mapquest. Would be sweet to see you out there sometime.
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-03-2006, 4:43 PM Reply   
Eric,

Hope to run into your group as well. Thanks for the info about the Choptank. I'll try that site and talk to Kirk. Sounds like 2 great riding spots.
Here's a pic of my boat, in case you see me out there.