Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       09-10-2011, 1:10 PM Reply   
Sometimes it takes a tragedy to get your mind right.

i have been trying to quit smoking for 10 years, almost eleven actually. I am 45 1/2 years old. perfect health, weight to height, no issues.
I lost a good friend last week. He dropped dead at 54 years old. Wife, 2 sons, family business.
Widow Maker got him.

I haven't had a smoke in three days, all I see is his face and all i can think of is how much my boys miss my now dead father.
I have tried every pill, patch, lozenge, acupuncture and hypnotherapy with no luck, always would sneak on or two until i was back smoking.
Is this what it takes?
I miss you Mark, RIP.
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-10-2011, 7:53 PM Reply   
Have you tried one of those electronic cigarettes? It's still a nicotine addiction, but at least you're not inhaling all the other trash.
I quit back in 2004 and it was tough, but it's doable. You just have to want to quit badly enough.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       09-10-2011, 8:15 PM Reply   
Good on you if you can do it cold turkey like that. I quit for two weeks but have been back at it for a week or so. Wasn't planning on it, but was sick for a few days and with my throat irritated and such I had no desire to smoke. I got out of the habit of smoking all the time. Then a rough day and I had one after eating lunch, and another after dinner that night. Then a couple here and there, then back to to it just like before.

In hindsight I should have went to vaping (electronic cigarettes) since I had broke the behavioral habit. I do have some vaping equipment and if I genuinely want to quit I can see myself switching to only vaping. If any of the smokers here want to try vaping don't get those cheap ecig kits. They are junk and you'll just be fighting the thing all the time with short battery life, hard to fill or proprietary carts, and other nonsense... In addition to spending a fortune on shoddy equipment. Joye 510 kits can be had for cheap and are a great starter ecig to get into if you want to try it without investing too much if it isn't for you. The bonus with a 510 kit is a lot of the mods (big battery, juice box, etc.) use 510 atomizers and carts so you can still use all the parts that worked on your original small 510 battery.

For me, vaping has turned into a different sort of pleasure and kind of a hobby. When I want to, I can easily go several days with just vaping and no real cigs. If I really wanted I think I could entirely substitute cigarettes with vaping. It's just a lot of work to fill carts, clean atomizers, make sure your batteries are charged, that you have enough supplies for the day, spare atomizer, etc. It can be bulky to carry with you and somewhat inconvenient. Every time I go to only vaping I wind up having a cig after a few days because of something stupid, like forgetting to bring my juice or extra carts, or forgetting to plan ahead and make sure I have supplies ordered from online. It's easy to get frustrated and go back to cigs simply because a cigarette is simple and it just works, every time you light one it will work flawlessly. Ecigs, there will be issues at times. You'll have a craving and your atomizer will be clogged up so you get a weak hit and need to clean it, or you overfilled a cart and flooded the atomizer, or things of that nature.

In any event, vaping has been a great alternative to smoking for people who don't want to have all the bad effects on health but still want to enjoy nicotine. Remember, it's the inhalation of ash and several thousand chemicals that is bad for you, not the nicotine. Nicotine has a similar effect on your body as caffeine and isn't really any worse for you.
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       09-12-2011, 6:11 AM Reply   
I've only seen one thing ever really get a man to quit, and that is fear. Cold turkey quitters arent quitting on willpower. Their willpower is just fear in disguise. It is events like your friends passing that remind us how much our friends and loved ones need us around. Sure, people have their vices and usually just laugh them off. However, most men take their responsibility to their family very seriously, and when they think about how smoking will make them drop the ball at some point it strikes fear in their hearts. If they die from a selfish habit, the wife and children lose a father and a husband. They lose a provider and an income. They thin about all the things their wife and kids will iss out on because of the tight budget. They think about all the things they would miss, like graduations and marriages and seeing their kids become parents. They think about someone else taking up THEIR responsibility. When your wife remarries, what kind of man will be taking care of her? What kind of man will be raising your children? Contemplating these thought creates a fear unlike any other, and THAT is what facilitates quitting. it isnt easy, but very possible.

I am one of those kids whose father decided I was more important than nicotine. My dad smoked 2 packs a day for 20+ years. In 1985 at the age of 40 his doc told him he would not see his kids graduate HS if he kept it up. He quit that day, cold turkey. Today he is 66 and as healthy as can be. He saw all of 3 his kids graduate and go to college, one married, one engaged, one grandchild with another on the way. He has fulfilled all his responsibilities and is enjoying retirement. He loves where his new path has taken him, and it all started on one day in 1985. Make today be that day for you, and let your boys tell the same story about their dad as I tell about mine.
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       09-12-2011, 6:32 AM Reply   
^^ 100% agree.

My father was a heavy smoker and as well quit when my brother and I were born. I had no idea he even smoked until he sat us down and told us, nearly the same thing Jason just said. "The doctor told me I wouldn't make it to see my boys grow up and marry or see my grandchildren born." When I heard the man I've always looked up to and thought was so invincible say, "That brought me to my knees hearing that." I really started to pay attention. It truly must be something that rattles you to the core, like that, that will give you the motivation to overcome it. We sometimes think things are impossible, but you would be surprised at how few actually are with the proper drive. Good luck!
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       09-12-2011, 6:40 AM Reply   
Thank you Jason. That was perfect and very insightful. I have not cheated at all. Not one little bit.
And yes you are 100% correct. I am scared. **** scared. Terrified, wake up screaming scared.
When cravings hit i remember why and for whom I quit. I conger up my dads face and Marks.

Went boating yesterday with a family where the mom chain smokes. She was on my boat all day and i had no problem at all. She left a pack on board with one lone Marlboro in it that I found when washing the boat last night. Long day, all by myself, drinking some beers, and one smoke sitting there. i crushed it quick, still in the pack.
I got through this Monday morning with a cup of coffee and a dog walk.

Every day it gets easier. I know i smell better.

I will never smoke another F*&%*ing cigarette in my long life.

Football practice tonight. My oldest made starting outside linebacker! The kid is a killer in cleats. I cant wait for 5:30.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-12-2011, 7:19 AM Reply   
I have been to 6-7 funerals in the last year and all of them with due to cancer. Almost all of them were smokers for a chunk of their life. That's enough for me to never pick one up. My mother-in-law smoke 20 year, quite cold turkey for 12 and than started again a few years ago. She got breast cancer 12 months ago and quite cold turkey. She is having her final chemo today and is doing great and not smoking.

Just another thought for you in your tough times when you want to smoke - Have a small photo of your dad, mark and your kids together in your wallet, truck, mirror or wherever you can see them regularly and that will be enough to deal with the desire.

Good luck and keep up the great work.
Old     (snyder)      Join Date: Feb 2006       09-12-2011, 12:03 PM Reply   
Congrats on quitting. I quit about 20 years ago cold turkey with a few relapses when I was in the Navy. Although I do enjoy a good cigar... my wife was concerned that the cigars would lead back to cigarettes, but nah, that's apples and oranges. cigarettes are nasty.

you can do it! Also publicly proclaiming it will help you stick to your guns.
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-12-2011, 1:51 PM Reply   
This is a great thread. Major congratulations to you in kicking that habit!

My Mom died at 32 years old, when I was 8.. leaving me without a mother or a father. She died from complications from pneumonia.. made worse by heart disease and emphysema. She was a solid pack a day smoker. Because of that, I've never smoked a single cigarette in my life.

Huge kudos to you in taking steps to ensure that never happens to your kids. Good luck to you and you can do it!
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-13-2011, 8:42 AM Reply   
I just found out yesterday that my grandmother has throat cancer from you guessed it smoking her whole life. It's always gonna catch up with you one way or another and yeah it sucks for you but it sucks even more for the ones that love you, that count on you.

Hang in there baitkiller, grind it out everyday because everyday gets just a little bit easier.
Old     (Riteride)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-13-2011, 9:51 AM Reply   
this is a great thread it really got me thinking about myself smoking and all the excuses I come up with not to quit.. My father passed away from esophageal cancer so my son had never had the opportunity to meet him. I wanna be that old cool grandpa, so I better get my act together to be able to be there, especially for my son alone.. Quitting cold turkey today, wish me luck.. Mind over matter...
And props to you baitkiller... Also sorry for your loss..
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       09-13-2011, 10:53 AM Reply   
Good luck Brett. Day six and I feel a litle woozy but it IS getting easier. I think i crossed a line where my brain knows I am done. Sneaking one little smoke is completely out of the question. I will not do it. Not one, not once. I am frigg'n done.
Get mad brother!

Call me if you need anything:
John Campbell
239-248-7460 cell.
Old     (wakekat15)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-19-2011, 5:40 PM Reply   
How are you two doing? Baitkiller/Brett - give us an update! Best of luck and awesome that you are trying to kick the habit for all the right reasons!
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       09-20-2011, 3:54 AM Reply   
Still strong here. What is it? 12 days now?i have not had a single smoke and temptation is slowing down.

I made up my mind.
Old     (rdlangston13)      Join Date: Feb 2011       09-20-2011, 5:42 AM Reply   
and think of all the money you are saving not buying smokes
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       09-30-2011, 12:44 PM Reply   
I quit smoking too. This is day four. I am using the ECig though. I will step down the nicotine level every week until there is none. As of now, I want to kill people, but today is by far easier than last.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       09-30-2011, 12:56 PM Reply   
Paul, if you're suffering nic fits I'd suggest upping the nic in your juice until that goes away. Docus on one thing at a time. Remember, it's the particulates and chemicals in cigs that are bad, nic is no worse that caffeine. Get off the analogs first to where you're comfortable on the ecig, then gradually lower your nic until you don't need it anymore. Forcing too much at once can set yourself up to fall back on analogs if you have a rough day and your ecig is not charged, popped an atty and don't have a spare, etc.

Personally I vape 12-18 mg juice depending on my mood. I don't have a strong desire to quit nic though. I enjoy it and when I vape exclusively I feel healthier in my breathing and endurance. Yeah it would be nice to not be dependent on nic, but at least since I started vaping I smoke less. If you do want to quit nic altogether, I've found drinking a lot more coffee than normal helps, since nic and caffeine are so similar. It's just substituting one for another, but it's a different action which changes your habits to reduce tamptation to smoke.

Either way, congrats on day 4 and getting off the analogs! If you have the drive, you can do it. Four days in if you do break and light an analog I guarantee you'll want to put it out after a few drags. After vaping exclusively for a few days they just taste nasty!
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       10-03-2011, 10:12 PM Reply   
Cory,
Nicotine is much worse then caffeine,
Talk to any cardiologist or doctor.. If they have told you its safe, then switch doctors. You are misinformed.
Also, Caffeine triggers nicotine cravings.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-04-2011, 7:10 AM Reply   
great thread!
good for you guys
booze is the same....you just have to quit if it's a problem
cold turkey is the only way
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       10-04-2011, 7:44 AM Reply   
I think Cory works for a Ecig company the way he supports them(or maybe you should!) Day 8. Doing ok.

The reason I quit is because two weeks ago, I got diagnosed with bladder cancer. They removed the mass a week ago today. Luckily, it was caught early and is only stage one non invasive, so ongoing appointments to check it should be about it(I actually see the doctor tomorrow again). Something I never knew was that smoking is the #1 cause of bladder cancer. Im 36, and smoking is not going to be the death of me. So, remember if you smoke, it could be you going in every three months to have your bladder checked. Did I mention how they check it? They use a scope, and that scope doesn't go in through your mouth......
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       10-04-2011, 7:56 AM Reply   
Good on you Paul. it gets better.
Three weeks and change here.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-04-2011, 8:36 AM Reply   
Good luck to all you who want to quit.

My mom, who was an ER nurse, never quit until they killed her at 62. This was 10 years ago and I continue to miss my mom every day.

My best friend's dad quit cold turkey the day he was diagnosed with emphysema and had to walk around with a oxygen bottle for 5 years before he finally passed from that disease last year.

Like most children of smokers, I never smoked so I can't tell you how to quit. But, I hope you find a way.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       10-18-2011, 11:57 AM Reply   
Three weeks and still going strong. I had to quit the Electronic cig because it was giving me headaches though. On gum now.
Old     (pnichols)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-22-2011, 2:59 PM Reply   
This thread has had me thinking about quitting too. I made up my mind two weeks ago to quit, and picked a date.

4 days smoke free for me. The first 2 days were crazy rough, but it's getting easier.

Good luck to everyone who quit!!!
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       10-22-2011, 4:03 PM Reply   
Keep it up Paul. I am pushing 60 days now. The trick is to just refuse to have one. You cannot have a single drag.
\
Man I feel so much better in the mornings now.
Old     (pnichols)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-31-2011, 9:14 AM Reply   
Tomorrow will be 2 weeks smoke free.

Quote:
Keep it up Paul. I am pushing 60 days now. The trick is to just refuse to have one. You cannot have a single drag.
\
Man I feel so much better in the mornings now.
I didn't realize how bad smoking made me feel, until I quit.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       10-31-2011, 9:51 AM Reply   
Not to mention the hangovers are much less painful!!
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       11-22-2011, 4:53 PM Reply   
How are you guys doing having quit? Thought I'd chime in that this thread got me thinking and I'm back on the wagon full time. Haven't had a cigarette in 24 days. The week and a half before that I only had a pack... Down from the pack a day habit I had slipped back into. I'm full time on vaping and don't have any cig cravings, even when I'm around smokers... Which is often as my friends at work smoke and most of my other friends smoke. I got myself a backup big battery mod so if my main vape fails I won't slip back into it. Got two carto tanks and some low resistance cartos so I can fill them and be good for two days without a refill or recharge, double that if I have both PVs with me. I found what works for me and takes the hassle out of it. I don't know if I'll ever give up vaping given the minimal health risks compared to smoking and considering how great I feel now, but I think vaping would be easier to quit than smoking.

I gave away my last two packs of smokes because I haven't touched them or had any desire for them. After 24 days I feel great. I can breathe deeper, my sense of smell is back, and I don't get winded running up stairs. Unfortunately I haven't been on the river since most of my crew is afraid of the cold. Hoping to get out once more over thanksgiving weekend in some balmy 45* water. Can't wait to see how my endurance is now that I'm off the smokes. It'll be a great season next year with improved health!
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       11-23-2011, 9:08 AM Reply   
I'm doing great. Have not touched one since the 26th of September and don't miss it whatsoever.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       11-28-2011, 6:27 PM Reply   
Congrats bait killer! My Grandma has had to bury both her sons due to smoking/cancer. My uncles grew up on a tobacco farm so they started very young. Somehow my mom grew up on the same farm and never touched a cigarette. Quitting isn't easy but it sure is worth it!
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       11-28-2011, 7:14 PM Reply   
Still groovy here. Just kicked a cold in 5 days. 3 in the head, 2 in the chest and done. Only a few stray buggers remain. Have not done that in a while.

Did I mention I smell better?
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       11-29-2011, 6:29 PM Reply   
The smell is such a huge difference! I can smell now, and cigs smell nasty. Took a few wash cycles before my clothes smell clean again. At work I was vaping outside talking with a few of my friends who smoke, I actually took a few steps away, the smoke smelled not too pleasant.

Switched it up today and was enjoying banana flavored juice as opposed to my regular cola or apple flavors. One guy at work laughs and gives me grief when he sees me vaping, then made a comment that "you don't know what's in that". I named everything in my juice, which is all fairly harmless, and when I asked if he could name the over 4000 chemicals in his cigarette he just said "cancer", and that ended it. I'll stick to what works for me, and I can feel a huge difference in my health and energy.
Old     (pnichols)      Join Date: Jan 2007       11-30-2011, 8:46 AM Reply   
42 days smoke free for me, and feeling awesome!!!
Old     (pnichols)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-14-2012, 12:00 PM Reply   
270 days smoke free. I'm also in the best shape of my life. I replaced a very unhealthy addiction with a healthy one. I'm in the gym one hour a day, five days a week.

This thread that Baitkiller started is what pushed me to pull the trigger and quit. Many thanks
Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       07-15-2012, 5:42 AM Reply   
Great job!
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       07-15-2012, 5:31 PM Reply   
Really happy for all you guys. Great thread.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       07-16-2012, 8:22 AM Reply   
Way to go guys.
Old     (stxr_racer)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-18-2012, 4:46 AM Reply   
Check this book out.....

http://allencarr.com/category/stop-smoking/

My dad chain smoked for 60+ years and stopped cold turkey over night after reading it....was amazing to see.

Good luck!
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-18-2012, 7:13 AM Reply   
Well its getting close to a year now since I quit. I couldn't be happier. I cant believe how much time I wasted on smoke breaks and how much family time I missed because i was outside smoking. I used to not sit close to my wife because i knew the stink made her gag. All that is a distant memory now. My youngest son is now playing football and Im helping coach. Guess what? I ran a 5.4 40 in tennis shoes at 46 years old. Booya! Thats only about 1 second off my high school time!

Im glad I started this thread. Enjoy the rest of summer everybody.
Old     (scotthons)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-18-2012, 7:26 AM Reply   
Kudos to all you guys that were able to give it up! My mom gave it up after 30 years. It has been 4 years for her now and I couldn't be more proud of her.
Old     (williamburell)      Join Date: Sep 2011       07-18-2012, 10:38 AM Reply   
Quote:
Have you tried one of those electronic cigarettes? It's still a nicotine addiction, but at least you're not inhaling all the other trash.
I quit back in 2004 and it was tough, but it's doable. You just have to want to quit badly enough.
I just starting using one and its great. I know everyone can preach about nicotine but I'd rather have that then tar, etc+nicotine. Honestly haven't even had an urge since using it. I'm going to use this as a tool not a solution though. The great thing about these is I don't "feel" like I need a whole cigarette nor am I wasting more money by tossing out a smoke after 1 puff. Usually if I get one drag in I'm settled and this gives me that. I figure by reducing my nicotine intake slowly while not sucking down tar is going to help. Its amazing how after just a few days runs and other aerobic activities get easier.