Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-26-2010, 11:27 AM Reply   
So ever since we had our lake house built a couple years ago I have been buying old Connelly Waterski's because I think they look bad a$$. I bought all of them online from all parts of the US. I just picked up my most recent one on Friday. Thought I would share a picture cause they look great beside each other with all the different patterns of wood. I need 2 more to fill the wall. The second one from the left I would like to replace as it is when they first started going with the different inlays so it's not as fancy lookin. Had the finishing carpenter's build a shelf and peg board up top to stop them from falling over. Going to also have them build one similar for the bedroom so I can put a bunch of my old boards on the wall.

Cheers!
Attached Images

Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-26-2010, 11:39 AM Reply   
Those are too cool! I own one also. Bought original new when I was 14 in 1975. Over the years, it got in terrible shape with brother/parents beating the h*ll out of it when I was away at college, etc. Had the parents ship it out to me a couple years ago and had it refinished. It now looks beautiful again but In the process of refinishing, the old Conley logo didn't make the transition (it was impossible to keep while refinishing the wood).

Know anyplace I can get stickers to replace the logo? Or, would you make a trace of yours on top of the board so I can get a sticker made? Then, mine would look like brand new.
Attached Images

Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-26-2010, 12:21 PM Reply   
wow, cool!
Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       07-26-2010, 12:25 PM Reply   
Looks Great! Now complete the ensemble with a wood surfboard for a coffee table! I love the columns!
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       07-26-2010, 1:53 PM Reply   
I've got some old wood Taperflex jump skis up in the attic. Not sure why I bought them, but they were at a garage sale about 20 years ago for $25, so I grabbed them. Something cool about those old wood skis!!
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-26-2010, 2:06 PM Reply   
Andy, I don't know where to get any stickers but I can take a picture and send it to you so you could have them printed. There's also a logo that goes on the bottom of the ski by the top. I'll back up at the house this weekend and will get some close ups for you.

I haven't refinished any of the ones I have currently though a couple could use it. Some of the ones I have barely look like they were even used while some others have their dings. I kinda like the nestalgia of the dings, adds character and you don't really see any of the dings/scratches once on the wall.

Akadirtbikingdad - thanks, the whole house is "Post and Beam"
Old     (zeketheplumber)      Join Date: Sep 2007       07-27-2010, 6:26 AM Reply   
I'm hoping to build one of these soon. I've only found two skis so far.

http://www.waterskichairs.com/index.html
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-27-2010, 8:39 AM Reply   
That's a great collection. I have an old Wiley's wood salmon ski. No pics on hand, top is more of a dark red color, the tunnel is more blonde in color. Not a nick on it. I rode it for a couple of seasons way back and then finally went to one of those fancy fiberglass skis.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-27-2010, 9:38 AM Reply   
Dave - That would be Great! Thanks.

Oh, mine was a Connelly Comp 2 by the way.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-27-2010, 10:03 AM Reply   
^^^ alright. I have mostly Connelly "Hooks" but I do also have some "comp 2"
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-27-2010, 10:49 AM Reply   
Prob one of the best collections ever, very impressive
Old     (chris4x4gill2)      Join Date: Sep 2009       07-27-2010, 11:58 AM Reply   
Dave, Those are beautiful and make a great display like you have them. I have my Dad's old Cypress Garden wooden skies mounted on the wall and a set made into shelves.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-27-2010, 7:10 PM Reply   
OK, this is really, really, going to date me (and the ski). But what the hell, I'm brave. Check out those stylin' board shorts.

That's the same ski, the year I bought it. It was beat to hell over the years but looks new again, sans the logo's. Looking forward to those photos BC Dave.
Attached Images

Old     (aliwake)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-28-2010, 4:34 PM Reply   
I wouldn't be stressing about that photo... HOT!
Old     (JWest)      Join Date: Apr 2014       04-05-2014, 11:51 AM Reply   
I own a Connelly Hook Ski that I want to restore to it's original condition. Can you provide sources that restore wooden skis or how to instructions on how to restore.

Thx,

J West
Old     (blastmaster)      Join Date: Aug 2001       04-05-2014, 9:30 PM Reply   
Those are everywhere around here, in Sacramento, CA. I passed two up at garage sales this morning that were like $20-30 each figuring no one wanted them. Lots of old Maha, Connley & Taperflex. The craftsmanship is amazing on those and usually people took good care of them.
What is the value of them no days?
Old     (fence_sence)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-06-2014, 1:59 PM Reply   
Not much value in them really. Only for collectors and we are few and far between.

Connelly really did some beautiful skis back then. I don't have any! They don't pop up around here very often. Dave, your collection is flat out awesome.

I've got three Taperfex (one of them my grandfather's), one Northland Bantam, one set of Ibson doubles, one Maha, three EPs (my father's Comp 1 and mine and my mother's Superformers), a Jobe Spectra 1200, two early HOs (Turbo and the original Mach 1), an early 90s Ho TRX.

I also have three Hydroslide Magnas, a LF Superfly 44, the original LF Trip, a LF Helix, the original Trick Boardz SurfSkate, a Butter Skate and the original HL Landlock. I have some old snow ski stuff too. My wife thinks I have a problem. I do. I want more skis.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-07-2014, 8:48 AM Reply   
JWest. Truthfully you just need to sand it down and re-varnish it. The logo's would be the hard part though. You would either have to get vinyl ones made up or live without those markings.
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-07-2014, 8:52 AM Reply   
This thread reminds me that I have an old Wiley wooden ski in the garage that is near new in condition. Learned to slalom on it at Clear LK CA. Should dig it out and take a pic.
Old     (stuey)      Join Date: Dec 2004       04-07-2014, 9:38 AM Reply   
Dave that looks awesome! Pretty sweet media room for the lake house!